T Nation

S&C Coach Mike Barwis (Michigan)

Has anyone heard of the new S&C coach at Michigan? The dudes name is Mike Barwis and apparently is a real hard ass but gets his athletes in top physical condition (i.e. see the whole WVU football team).

Anyways, I have been trying to find some articles on his training methods so I can improve some lifts and work on some new ones, any one have any articles or ideas?

here listen to this interview

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=25899597

I would very much - VERY much - like to see video of the two kids from last years WVU team cleaning 500 lbs. You can’t fake a clean. These arent high squats, partial benches with your butt in the air or even hitched deadlifts. Theres no way a football player is continentaling a clean, and i dont care if they did do it from the hang and with straps, 500 lbs as a 18-23 yr old is FREAKY.

And for what it’s worth, I’d be willing to bet that they could - fairly easily - be taught to repeat that from the floor without straps. Wouldnt be good for a gold, but it would be good.

He is a little high strung aint he ? I mean christ he’s dealing with college kids not convicts.

I don’t think Barwis has any magical answers for you. He’s obviously a very good self-promoter though.

You can fake a clean. don’t actually catch it, just get your chest somewhere near the bar before it starts to fall. Also don’t sit under the bar, just spread your legs like you’re doing a jumping jack.

I heard a rumor that Barwis does 10-12 reps sets on cleans. While obviously this isn’t a very good idea technique wise, it will generate some big-time numbers when you plug the weights and reps into a max calculator.

I would be very impressed if its true, but I am skeptical to say the least.

Call me a fucking skeptic, but no college football player is cleaning 500 pounds.

I go to his former school (WVU) and I don’t believe the cleans for one second. Owen Schmitt the FB is one who was credited with a 500+ clean but I’m not sure of the other.

[quote]BigBen72 wrote:

I don’t think Barwis has any magical answers for you. He’s obviously a very good self-promoter though.

You can fake a clean. don’t actually catch it, just get your chest somewhere near the bar before it starts to fall. Also don’t sit under the bar, just spread your legs like you’re doing a jumping jack.

I heard a rumor that Barwis does 10-12 reps sets on cleans. While obviously this isn’t a very good idea technique wise, it will generate some big-time numbers when you plug the weights and reps into a max calculator.

I would be very impressed if its true, but I am skeptical to say the least. [/quote]

. I asked some of the football players(they are freshmen nobodies) and they swore up and down Owen could. Then it was revealed that it was more like low 400s for some reps, and I think the idea of not having to rack it on the shoulders and doing that weird ass sumo jump kickout is right on.

No way in hell did anyone clean 500. They would be world class Olympic lifters with those numbers.

Yes, some college s & c programs will inflate numbers (seems to be common practice). i.e., some coaches will accept a “full squat” to 1/4 depth with 600 pounds and BOOM new school record.

But, regardless of the numbers that they claim, it’s all about the on-field performance in the end anyways.

[quote]BigBen72 wrote:

I would be very impressed if its true, but I am skeptical to say the least. [/quote]

Every time you think you’ve hit bottom someone grabs a shovel. Not catching the clean? Do people even count this as a clean, rather than a high pull. Man, I mean I guess there is a ton of power being generated there either way, but still…

For the record, even if someone just split their legs to the side, I’d count it as long as they actually racked it on their shoulders. Not the best technique, but not illegal either I believe.

I’m VERY skeptical as well. I’m hesitant to call anybody a liar, but you bring up an interesting point in terms of using a max calculator and claiming that. What a crock.

From what I have heard, that is common practice with college s&c coaches. They have to show how they are improving the players, and numbers work best with most head coaches.

Those clean #'s were calculated from rep maxes. The guys were doing cleans in the 300-325 range for reps with long breaks between reps, etc. He also allows spots on squat and bench max tests.

[quote]duck_dodger23 wrote:
Got to add: that being said, when I saw WVU this year i thought they were one of the more physically developed and explosive teams I saw. The guy is definitely doing some stuff right even if the numbers are inflated. anything he does will be an upgrade over Michigans old s&c regime which was the embarrassingly ineffective HIT [/quote]

Theres the age-old question of whetehr it was teh s&c program that made tehm that way or the recruiting that got kids liek that to the school in the first place.

You know, a lot of people I know tell me that I’m too hard on myself, too quick to find fault with my accomplishments, etc, but when I hear crap like this it doesnt make me want to change

“we had a kid clean 500 lbs” if that truly is calculated from a rep max then he is a worthless liar, and theres no other way to put it. Either the kid did it or he didnt. If the kid cleans 365 for 10 then say that, its still impressive for goodness sakes, but he didnt clean 500, i dont care what some conversion chart theorizes that he “could” do

well you also have to consider that the guy is training football players not weightlifters. There is a difference in that you have to program for skill work, more emphasis on explosive abilities, mobility, flexibility, etc. As a player having seen what all is out there, I would rather train under that guy than a lot of s&c coaches i’ve seen.

well you also have to consider that the guy is training football players not weightlifters. There is a difference in that you have to program for skill work, more emphasis on explosive abilities, mobility, flexibility, etc. [/quote]
I agree with all of the above. There is a ton more to being a good football player than having a good 1RM in the powerlifts and the o-lifts

but do you think thats any excuse to lie?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

“we had a kid clean 500 lbs” if that truly is calculated from a rep max then he is a worthless liar, and theres no other way to put it. Either the kid did it or he didnt. If the kid cleans 365 for 10 then say that, its still impressive for goodness sakes, but he didnt clean 500, i dont care what some conversion chart theorizes that he “could” do[/quote]

I spend a lot of time evaluating people in my professional life.

Watch the guy’s eye movement when he makes those statements.

He is making up numbers.

Got to add: that being said, when I saw WVU this year i thought they were one of the more physically developed and explosive teams I saw. [/quote]

That’s the recruiting, you can’t train Steve Slaton or Pat White type explosiveness. Too bad we weren’t explosive and physical in our Pitt game haha.

If there are so many college football players cleaning 500 lbs than why doesn’t it carry over to USA weightlifting? With technique refinement, some of these guys could easily become world class lifters if they possess 500+ lbs cleans in college. Just my two cents.

[quote]Jimmy the Saint wrote:
If there are so many college football players cleaning 500 lbs than why doesn’t it carry over to USA weightlifting? With technique refinement, some of these guys could easily become world class lifters if they possess 500+ lbs cleans in college. Just my two cents.[/quote]

Well first off, they aren’t really cleaning 500 as we learned. Second off, why wouldn’t a college football player turn down the possibility of making millions in the NFL for a life of borderline poverty in an obscure sport in the United States that no one cares about? It would be madness!

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Second off, why wouldn’t a college football player turn down the possibility of making millions in the NFL for a life of borderline poverty in an obscure sport in the United States that no one cares about? It would be madness![/quote]

Bingo. I think this is a big reason why the USA does not compete at the highest level at the sport of weightlifting. Other countries simply don’t have a team sport where such explosiveness is just as much of a priority as in OL. Rugby attracts big strong guys all over the world, but the endurance aspect of the sport makes it unsuitable for the fast-twitch young olympic lifting hopeful.

The 6’3, 350 pound kid in Europe simply doesn’t have the option of becoming multimillionaire NFL lineman, making it that much more likely for him to go for olympic gold instead of a super bowl ring.