Ryan's Video Nutrition Thread

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:
My goal is to provide ideas that are simple, yet effective, and I feel that I am accomplishing that.[/quote]

Well, now I feel bad cuz of your positive attitude.

Fact is, most people that have cooked for themselves for a little bit know how to spice bland things up…it’s not very hard to figure out. Adding fruit, etc. to cottage cheese is very common-sense.

The best, most popular recipes I have seen are innovative ways to make an unhealthy treat into something that’s diet friendly.

Protein fluff, protein pudding, and that Chris Shugart cauliflower pizza…people want to eat sweets and pizza, and with these Bodybuilder friendly recipes, they can–even on a diet.

Browse the ‘recipes’ section of the velocity diet, and you’ll get a sense of what I mean.

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:

My goal is to provide ideas that are simple, yet effective, and I feel that I am accomplishing that.[/quote]

Well, now I feel bad cuz of your positive attitude.

Fact is, most people that have cooked for themselves for a little bit know how to spice bland things up…it’s not very hard to figure out. Adding fruit, etc. to cottage cheese is very common-sense.

The best, most popular recipes I have seen are innovative ways to make an unhealthy treat into something that’s diet friendly.

Protein fluff, protein pudding, and that Chris Shugart cauliflower pizza…people want to eat sweets and pizza, and with these Bodybuilder friendly recipes, they can–even on a diet.

Browse the ‘recipes’ section of the velocity diet, and you’ll get a sense of what I mean.[/quote]

I personally don’t see the point of being negative…it really doesn’t get you anywhere in life, so I strive to keep it positive. It actually does wonders for day to day life.

IMO, that pizza sounds disgusting. I’ve never tried it, and most likely never will. When it comes to pizza, I simply work it into my calorie needs for the day. If I have a 1500 calorie pizza, I make note and realize that I can drop one of my other meals. I’m not a guy who worries about hitting exact macros, as that is seriously a waste of time, regardless of the goal at hand. Total calorie intake with rough macro targets sums up my nutrition approach, which is why I can eat the foods that I eat and still have total control of my physique.

I see no set back to eating regular pizza and sweets while dieting, as I do it often. If you look at my avatar, that physique is built on my ‘total calorie intake w/ rough macro targets’ approach. People really exaggerate the industry created myths about things like ‘clean eating’ and ‘simple’ carbs.

Be smart about what you eat, monitor your intake, shoot for micronutrient dense foods when possible, and make progress.

[/quote]

You haven’t even tried the pizza and yet you “know” that it is disgusting…I would suggest keeping an open mind, cuz its pretty damn good. Obviously its not the real deal, because it’s meant to be a SUBSTITUTE. Still, as a recipe goes it is innovative and unique–quite different than adding berries and yogurt to cottage cheese.

People have gotten to your physique a million different ways…the best way is the one that works for that particular individual. No need to poo-poo a different method, just cause it doesn’t work for you.

Keep spamming the forums with stupid posts about flavoring cottage cheese and videos demonstrating ‘proper form’ though…maybe they’ll catch on.

[/quote]

You haven’t even tried the pizza and yet you “know” that it is disgusting…I would suggest keeping an open mind, cuz its pretty damn good. Obviously its not the real deal, because it’s meant to be a SUBSTITUTE. Still, as a recipe goes it is innovative and unique–quite different than adding berries and yogurt to cottage cheese.

People have gotten to your physique a million different ways…the best way is the one that works for that particular individual. No need to poo-poo a different method, just cause it doesn’t work for you.

Keep spamming the forums with stupid posts about flavoring cottage cheese and videos demonstrating ‘proper form’ though…maybe they’ll catch on.[/quote]

You are clearly on a witch hunt. I’ve never seen anyone being helpful met with so much hate. Do you play WoW?

[/quote]

Keep spamming the forums with stupid posts about flavoring cottage cheese and videos demonstrating ‘proper form’ though…maybe they’ll catch on.[/quote]

Pro-tip: don’t quote someone incorrectly, especially when their post is right above yours.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[/quote]

You are clearly on a witch hunt. I’ve never seen anyone being helpful met with so much hate. Do you play WoW?
[/quote]

Tell me about it man. There’s always those couple of people who must just be angry inside. I’m sure their very pleasant in real life too :slight_smile:

[/quote]

The previous responses to your post tell a pretty good story. I’m not going to get into an argument, as it seems like a waste of time. I’m cool with agreeing to disagree with you, as it’ll keep things simple and quick.

Listen to the above posters though, as it says a lot that people who don’t even know me stood up against your remarks toward me.

Have a good one,

Ryan

I like your nutrition videos.

i especially like that most of these meals are quick easy and seem somewhat cost effective.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
You’re telling people (apparently your targeted audience is complete tards) to eat muffin mix, sugar, chocolate milk, bread, and Yoplait yogurt.

I don’t get it, either.

But you do have that nifty gung-ho ‘You can do it!’ PC trainer attitude, so that’s cool.[/quote]

Care to explain what part of eating those foods you 'don’t ‘get?’ I’m very curious to hear your reasoning for not consuming those foods.

Oh, and I have the ‘you can do it’ attitude because I help people around the world who ARE making changes to their strength, size, body fat, etc on a daily basis. In short, I have the attitude because for the people I work with, ‘you can do it’ is a reality.

I appreciate your posting in my thread and am looking forward to you enlightening me on your reasoning behind your condemning such foods as bread and yogurt, as well as the others listed above too.

Thanks,

Ryan[/quote]

You really don’t see why, when advising people how to make positive changes in their diet(again, it seems your target audience would be those new to nutrition with little knowledge of aforementioned) slightly more convenient options relying on packaged muffin mix, white bread, sugar, chocolate milk, and shitty flavored yogurt might not be the best idea?

The commercials on TV will tell people to lose weight eating breakfast cereal and flavored yogurt. You certainly don’t need to tell them muffin mix is fine once it’s mixed with protein powder.

How about encouraging people to eat more vegetables, meat, and quality carb sources? Maybe oats instead of muffin mix? Greek yogurt instead of Yoplait Key Lime Pie or whatever? Non-chocolate milk? Maybe 86 the sugar altogether? Tell them to eat eggs for breakfast?

Right now, it just seems that you’re mixing some crap with one or two ‘healthy’ ingredients and passing it off as a wise choice. You seem like a decent guy, but this 100 Calorie Pack shit is just pretty weak.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
You’re telling people (apparently your targeted audience is complete tards) to eat muffin mix, sugar, chocolate milk, bread, and Yoplait yogurt.

I don’t get it, either.

But you do have that nifty gung-ho ‘You can do it!’ PC trainer attitude, so that’s cool.[/quote]

Care to explain what part of eating those foods you 'don’t ‘get?’ I’m very curious to hear your reasoning for not consuming those foods.

Oh, and I have the ‘you can do it’ attitude because I help people around the world who ARE making changes to their strength, size, body fat, etc on a daily basis. In short, I have the attitude because for the people I work with, ‘you can do it’ is a reality.

I appreciate your posting in my thread and am looking forward to you enlightening me on your reasoning behind your condemning such foods as bread and yogurt, as well as the others listed above too.

Thanks,

Ryan[/quote]

You really don’t see why, when advising people how to make positive changes in their diet(again, it seems your target audience would be those new to nutrition with little knowledge of aforementioned) slightly more convenient options relying on packaged muffin mix, white bread, sugar, chocolate milk, and shitty flavored yogurt might not be the best idea?

The commercials on TV will tell people to lose weight eating breakfast cereal and flavored yogurt. You certainly don’t need to tell them muffin mix is fine once it’s mixed with protein powder.

How about encouraging people to eat more vegetables, meat, and quality carb sources? Maybe oats instead of muffin mix? Greek yogurt instead of Yoplait Key Lime Pie or whatever? Non-chocolate milk? Maybe 86 the sugar altogether? Tell them to eat eggs for breakfast?

Right now, it just seems that you’re mixing some crap with one or two ‘healthy’ ingredients and passing it off as a wise choice. You seem like a decent guy, but this 100 Calorie Pack shit is just pretty weak.[/quote]

I’ve got plenty of videos that contain vegetables, meat, and quality carb sources, FYI.

To be honest, I feel like you avoided my question. You just told me more of what you already told me (don’t drink chocolate milk, don’t eat yogurt, bread, muffin mix, or sugar altogether). What I’m looking for is your reasoning for not eating those foods. For example, I’d like to know why, in your opinion, it’s ok to eat greek yogurt but not regular yogurt. As another example, I’d like to know why it’s OK to drink regular milk and not chocolate milk.

It’s one thing to preach food recommendations, but it’s another thing to do so without supporting your reasoning. So again, care to enlighten me? I’m seriously interested in hearing your reasoning behind telling me not to eat those foods. I hope you take the time to reply.

Ryan

This meal is three things!

1. Full of quality animal protein
  2. Jam packed with green vegetables
  3. Full of asian zing

Macros and servings are listed at the end of the video. Thanks for watching!

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

I don’t get it, either.

Thanks,

Ryan[/quote]

Right now, it just seems that you’re mixing some crap with one or two ‘healthy’ ingredients and passing it off as a wise choice. You seem like a decent guy, but this 100 Calorie Pack shit is just pretty weak.[/quote]

I’ve got plenty of videos that contain vegetables, meat, and quality carb sources, FYI.

To be honest, I feel like you avoided my question. You just told me more of what you already told me (don’t drink chocolate milk, don’t eat yogurt, bread, muffin mix, or sugar altogether). What I’m looking for is your reasoning for not eating those foods. For example, I’d like to know why, in your opinion, it’s ok to eat greek yogurt but not regular yogurt. As another example, I’d like to know why it’s OK to drink regular milk and not chocolate milk.

It’s one thing to preach food recommendations, but it’s another thing to do so without supporting your reasoning. So again, care to enlighten me? I’m seriously interested in hearing your reasoning behind telling me not to eat those foods. I hope you take the time to reply.

Ryan[/quote]

I generally feel it’s optimal and best, when available, to use unprocessed, ‘natural’, whole foods, rather than their more adulterated counterparts. I see no benefit in using a version of a product, (for example, yogurt) that uses dyes, preservatives, artificial or natural sweeteners, and has a decided lack of beneficial bacteria when there is a similar, more beneficial (higher protein, lower carb, probiotic, generally more ‘well-rounded’) substitute with less possible detrimental substances added (for which you can spin the science either way, but there’s nothing to lose by avoiding).

Really, there’s nothing inherently ‘wrong’ with any of those foods. I’ll leave it at that before you start demanding studies descrying the evils of sugar, wheat, HFCS, etc.

Basically I’m saying you have better options, why not use them?

But I suppose you disagree that those options are ‘better’.

[quote]Vicomte

I generally feel it’s optimal and best, when available, to use unprocessed, ‘natural’, whole foods, rather than their more adulterated counterparts. I see no benefit in using a version of a product, (for example, yogurt) that uses dyes, preservatives, artificial or natural sweeteners, and has a decided lack of beneficial bacteria when there is a similar, more beneficial (higher protein, lower carb, probiotic, generally more ‘well-rounded’) substitute with less possible detrimental substances added (for which you can spin the science either way, but there’s nothing to lose by avoiding).

Really, there’s nothing inherently ‘wrong’ with any of those foods. I’ll leave it at that before you start demanding studies descrying the evils of sugar, wheat, HFCS, etc.

Basically I’m saying you have better options, why not use them?

But I suppose you disagree that those options are ‘better’.[/quote]

I agree with you on this statement: “I generally feel it’s optimal and best, when available, to use unprocessed, ‘natural’, whole foods, rather than their more adulterated counterparts.” However, I also realize that this is the real world, not everyone is going to eat within those guidelines 100% of the time. We are people, not robots, and it’s just the way it is.

I also realize that from a pure physique stand point, assuming macros are roughly in check, food type plays a VERY minor role. I can eat the breakfast I laid out or I can eat the breakfast with the foods you laid out; as long as the cals and macros are similar, my physique will end up the same. Of course, this is just one side of the equation, as micronutrients are important for internal health, and I realize and preach that as well. I keep those two concepts as priorities:

1. Hit my daily calorie needs with rough macronutrient goals
  2. Aim to consume micronutrient dense foods when possible

One thing too, you mentioned HFCS in your post. Nothing in that breakfast has HFCS.

The main lines I got out of your post were these:

“I generally feel” - This is an opinion, and until I see some physical evidence that my physique will be so much better by eating greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt and regular milk instead of chocolate milk, then I’m not going to be changing my ways. I realize that I can enjoy the foods I like, all while achieving the body I want. I eat fruits and vegetables on top of those foods, so I’m covering all my macro and micro needs.

“Really, there’s nothing inherently ‘wrong’ with any of those foods.” - No offense, but if that’s your view on them, then why make such a fuss about a couple of meals that I posted that contain ‘those foods?’ If there is nothing inherently wrong with them, then I must be missing your train of thought when criticizing my video(s).

“Basically I’m saying you have better options, why not use them?” - This boils down to the fact that I’m human, not a robot. I eat 10x healthier than the average guy, I weigh everything I consume to keep my daily numbers in check, and I understand that I can eat whatever I want to eat as long as it suits my calorie/macro needs all while seeing progress towards my physique goals. For me, chocolate milk IS a better option than regular milk and regular yogurt IS a better option than greek yogurt for that meal. Those choices fit my calorie/macro needs better for that meal, so I am already using the better options for me.

I feel that we have similar views, it’s just that I think I realize that food type matters less than you think it does when it comes to changing a body.

In terms of body composition: Daily calorie/macro intake > the sources of those calories/macros.

Let the shitstom ensue, haha.

This meal is three things!

1. Full of quality animal protein
  2. Jam packed with green vegetables
  3. Full of asian zing

Macros and servings are listed at the end of the video. Thanks for watching![/quote]

You’re really going to claim to be a lifetime US resident after this post? That’s authentic Asian cuisine. Come on, bro. Just be honest.

Mexican food is my favorite, no doubt about it!

For those following the Primary Source Nutrition Approach:
Primary Protein Source - 3 Servings
Primary Carb Source - 2.5 Servings
Primary Fat Source - 4 Servings

For those counting macros, they are roughly:
Protein - 50g
Carb - 55g
Fat - 36g

For those counting calories:
Calories - 750

Would you all just shut the fuck up, and let the man do some cooking. Its obviously a passion of his, shut your damn mouth, and go be a vile little asshole somewhere else for God sakes…

There is a million ways to skin a cat, here is one of them…

Rank all the threads on this site based off usefulness and this one would still be towards the top.

Keep on with your vids, man. Best of Luck.

[quote]Rudy2401 wrote:
Would you all just shut the fuck up, and let the man do some cooking. Its obviously a passion of his, shut your damn mouth, and go be a vile little asshole somewhere else for God sakes…

There is a million ways to skin a cat, here is one of them… [/quote]

Thanks man. Don’t worry about it too much, as the nonsense doesn’t bother me at all. I’m typically just amused by the people that instantly insult. Gotta have a good laugh when ya can. Ya know?

Please respond.

[quote]165StateChamp wrote:
Please respond.[/quote]

Ditto. You never responded to me.