Ryan Kennelly New World Record 1070

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:

I just dont see where a three board 725 bench mean he would be able to take the world record which is 715. If each board is two inches thick, thats 6 inches less ROM. I cant think of a lift where cutting off 6 inches of ROM at the hardest part of the lift would only result in 10 more pounds (or, in this case, less than 2% increase).

[/quote]

It was a 3 board press with 725 as a warm up…

My point was, and is, that such devices take away from the point of the competition (to see how much a human being can bench press).[/quote]

I thought the point of that particular competition was to see how much someone can bench press wearing a bench shirt.

Hanley wrote:
It is.

As for why Ryan doesn’t take it… he’s nothing to gain from doing it.

He smashes it - big deal, we already knew he was the strongest

He misses it - Cheating gear whore

In addition, if he was to break it, it would just give the trolls an exact amount of carryover to hate on.

So anyone who disagrees with the use of equipment that provides mechanical assistance is a “troll”?

Fuck you.[/quote]

Not you again.

[quote]IainK wrote:
Personally that was probably the worst bench I have seen Ryan do. Touch and go, not locked out, and not even conrol at the top of the lift.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. It must’ve looked different from where the judges were.

I can’t even imagine holding that much weight in my hands. On a related note, his forearms are friggin’ massive.

And I thought it didn’t quite look like he locked out either, but … I’m not a powerlifting judge, so whatever. :slight_smile: It was still awesome. :slight_smile:

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Here’s a different angle on the vid. It actually looks good from it!

[/quote]

Yes, it does look good from that angle.

KBCthird; you are correct and I agree that technically no lift should get the ‘benfit of the doubt’.

As a lifter I personally do not want the benefit of any doubt! If I have not clearly established the technicalities of the lift to the refs I should not be surprised if I am red lighted.

[quote]IainK wrote:
KBCthird; you are correct and I agree that technically no lift should get the ‘benfit of the doubt’.

As a lifter I personally do not want the benefit of any doubt! If I have not clearly established the technicalities of the lift to the refs I should not be surprised if I am red lighted. [/quote]

While I am awed by his ability to handle that kind of wieght I do not think Ryan’s lift serves as a good catalyst for this discussion as I ahve not seen an angle yet (most recent one included) where it looked fully locked. Not to mention unless the side judges are blind his ass appears to be many inches up. This isn’t a good example of ‘giving the benefit of a doubt.’

I do not wish to speak for him but I think you misinterpreted what KBC posted and from my standpoint I thoroughly agree with him.

As a judge, if you have to think about a call it should be a white light. Taking the opposite approach results in the judges you see who will be the only one on the red for an entire session. The ‘prove it to me’ types.

I hate that kind of reffing and honestly think it reflects one of two things:

1. A lack of comfort interpreting rules.
  2. A personality that almost always holds other people to different standards than they hold themself.

If I am directing a meet and have a judge acting this way I always pull them. It is unnecessary and just pissed people off.

I will state that if a lifter comes out and is borderline on an opener I will almost always remember them and scrutinize things more closely the second time around.

Bottom line, benefit of the doubt should ALWAYS go to the lifter.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
IainK wrote:

As a lifter I personally do not want the benefit of any doubt! If I have not clearly established the technicalities of the lift to the refs I should not be surprised if I am red lighted.

While I am awed by his ability to handle that kind of weight I do not think Ryan’s lift serves as a good catalyst for this discussion as I have not seen an angle yet (most recent one included) where it looked fully locked. Not to mention unless the side judges are blind his ass appears to be many inches up. This isn’t a good example of ‘giving the benefit of a doubt.’

I do not wish to speak for him but I think you misinterpreted what KBC posted and from my standpoint I thoroughly agree with him.

As a judge, if you have to think about a call it should be a white light. Taking the opposite approach results in the judges you see who will be the only one on the red for an entire session. The ‘prove it to me’ types.

2. A personality that almost always holds other people to different standards than they hold themself.

If I am directing a meet and have a judge acting this way I always pull them. It is unnecessary and just pisses people off.

I will state that if a lifter comes out and is borderline on an opener I will almost always remember them and scrutinize things more closely the second time around.

Bottom line, benefit of the doubt should ALWAYS go to the lifter. [/quote]

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
IainK wrote:

While I am awed by his ability to handle that kind of wieght I do not think Ryan’s lift serves as a good catalyst for this discussion as I ahve not seen an angle yet (most recent one included) where it looked fully locked. Not to mention unless the side judges are blind his ass appears to be many inches up. This isn’t a good example of ‘giving the benefit of a doubt.’

If I am directing a meet and have a judge acting this way I always pull them. It is unnecessary and just pissed people off.

Bottom line, benefit of the doubt should ALWAYS go to the lifter. [/quote]

I agree, when I refereed I gave the lifter the lift if I was undecided at first. meaning it could go either way. I would call a technical violation, but if I thought depth was close, he got it. Like one of those bang bang plays at first base, tie goes ot he lifter.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Whatever. He’s also the strongest raw bencher in the world, so he can do whatever he wants in my opinion. No one else is strong enough to handle his raw poundages, so if he wants to grab a 12 ply shirt I don’t care. He’s the strongest at both, shouldn’t that be enough?

[/quote]

How is he the strongest raw? Mendy holds the record. Kennelly has only done 600 in competition I believe.

there’s no pause, but still. I think he could have hit that for 4-5. He has the ability to get the raw bench record, it’s just a matter of how long he would have to train for it before he actually sets it.

[quote]2274 wrote:
ninearms wrote:
Another (better) angle:

From that angle, he didn’t seem to lockout. At least that’s how I see it. Strong brute nonetheless. He even attempted 1105.

Featured Content on Myspace [/quote]

lol at one of the comments made on that video: [quote]hes probabally using a bench shirt. helps you bench a shit-ton more than your max some are made by Inzer[/quote]

[quote]evansmi wrote:
2274 wrote:
ninearms wrote:
Another (better) angle:

From that angle, he didn’t seem to lockout. At least that’s how I see it. Strong brute nonetheless. He even attempted 1105.

lol at one of the comments made on that video: hes probabally using a bench shirt. helps you bench a shit-ton more than your max some are made by Inzer[/quote]

this one was funny too:

“this was obviously created on a computer. no one on planet earth can bench that.”

[quote]Reef wrote:
Aragorn wrote:

Whatever. He’s also the strongest raw bencher in the world, so he can do whatever he wants in my opinion. No one else is strong enough to handle his raw poundages, so if he wants to grab a 12 ply shirt I don’t care. He’s the strongest at both, shouldn’t that be enough?

How is he the strongest raw? Mendy holds the record. Kennelly has only done 600 in competition I believe.[/quote]

You are correct, I misspoke. Confused the two of them. But I still think he’s within easy shattering distance of that record.

Is there a reason why you need to “gain” mass? Why are all these guys huge? Also, why would adding 30 pounds help leverage?

What does 3 /2/4/5 board mean?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Is there a reason why you need to “gain” mass? Why are all these guys huge? Also, why would adding 30 pounds help leverage?

What does 3 /2/4/5 board mean?[/quote]

more mass equals bigger belly equals less distance for bar to travel. also thicker elbows and whatnot.

boards are used to limit ROM, 3 board equals 3 2x6’s stacked together usually.

Dave, you’re asking a lot of questions about this stuff lately, if i didn’t know better i’d say your getting bit. You gonna come over to powerlifting?

[quote]blazindave wrote:

What does 3 /2/4/5 board mean?[/quote]

Check this out:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?tid=102&__N=Barbell%20Lifts

At the top of the index list are 1-5 board explanations, though evansmi’s explanation is sufficient.

[quote]Epimetheus wrote:

there’s no pause, but still. I think he could have hit that for 4-5. He has the ability to get the raw bench record, it’s just a matter of how long he would have to train for it before he actually sets it.[/quote]

I don’t think he really cares about a raw record. Most guys using gear don’t really care about raw lifts.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Epimetheus wrote:

there’s no pause, but still. I think he could have hit that for 4-5. He has the ability to get the raw bench record, it’s just a matter of how long he would have to train for it before he actually sets it.

I don’t think he really cares about a raw record. Most guys using gear don’t really care about raw lifts.

[/quote]

But why? Doesn’t he know that RAW is the only true test of strength…I know that because I read it on the internet somewhere!