T Nation

Russian Weightlifting before EWC

:slight_smile:

Thanks man! Kinda puts things in perspective when their 3rd or 4th best superheavyweight lifter wins the European championships!!!

Who is the lean lifter at 1:11?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Who is the lean lifter at 1:11?[/quote]
Apti Aukhadov, he won gold in 85 weight class at the recent EWC. I believe he had the best sinclair at the whole competition.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Apti Aukhadov, he won gold in 85 weight class at the recent EWC. I believe he had the best sinclair at the whole competition.[/quote]

Right and one of my olympic lifter really likes him because he is a squat jerker

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Apti Aukhadov, he won gold in 85 weight class at the recent EWC. I believe he had the best sinclair at the whole competition.[/quote]

Right and one of my olympic lifter really likes him because he is a squat jerker[/quote]

@CT:

Are there any advantages to the squat jerk as opposed to split jerk?

good stuff, thanks for posting.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Right and one of my olympic lifter really likes him because he is a squat jerker[/quote]

@CT:

Are there any advantages to the squat jerk as opposed to split jerk?[/quote]

x2 I’m curious as well.

Especially considering he was splitting in the 2012 olympics and I’ve never seen any Russain lifters power jerk.

[quote]ishinator wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

@CT:

x2 I’m curious as well.

Especially considering he was splitting in the 2012 olympics and I’ve never seen any Russian lifters power jerk.
[/quote]

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

@CT:

Well, if someone is mobile enough to do a solid squat jerk the advantage is that you can get lower than in a split, thus you don’t have to launch the weight up as high. A squat position also tend to be more stable since the hips have a better chance to be balanced and the weight distributed properly on the feet.

Heckm in the 30s up to the 60s the vast majority of lifters used the split instead of the squat in the snatch and clean (not only the jerk). The squatting position is more effective when you can get into that position efficiently which is why you don`t see any competitive split snatchers and split cleaners.

Some lifters do start with the split jerk and either suffer an injury that makes splitting dangerous or just are not good at that lift and this switch to the power/squat jerk. Dimas is another example.

BTW, very few russian lifters power/squat jerk in competition, BUT they do use that lift (as well as behind the neck power jerk) in their training… some lifters might simply find that they are stronger at that variation of the lift during their training.

Now russians (and a lot of Eastern Europeans) seem to be bigger guys which might make it harder to reach the proper squat jerk position. Russians/East Europeans (with some exceptions of course) seem to have longer limbs than torsos (whereas Asian lifters tend to have shorter limbs and a longer torso) which might make it harder to squat jerk too.

Or maybe they are more traditionalist (we have one russian coach near here who almost freaker ut when one of my lifters did a squat jerk in his club).

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

@CT:

Well, if someone is mobile enough to do a solid squat jerk the advantage is that you can get lower than in a split, thus you don’t have to launch the weight up as high. A squat position also tend to be more stable since the hips have a better chance to be balanced and the weight distributed properly on the feet.

Heckm in the 30s up to the 60s the vast majority of lifters used the split instead of the squat in the snatch and clean (not only the jerk). The squatting position is more effective when you can get into that position efficiently which is why you don`t see any competitive split snatchers and split cleaners.

Some lifters do start with the split jerk and either suffer an injury that makes splitting dangerous or just are not good at that lift and this switch to the power/squat jerk. Dimas is another example.

BTW, very few russian lifters power/squat jerk in competition, BUT they do use that lift (as well as behind the neck power jerk) in their training… some lifters might simply find that they are stronger at that variation of the lift during their training.

Now russians (and a lot of Eastern Europeans) seem to be bigger guys which might make it harder to reach the proper squat jerk position. Russians/East Europeans (with some exceptions of course) seem to have longer limbs than torsos (whereas Asian lifters tend to have shorter limbs and a longer torso) which might make it harder to squat jerk too.

Or maybe they are more traditionalist (we have one russian coach near here who almost freaker ut when one of my lifters did a squat jerk in his club). [/quote]

That’s really interesting information - thank you.

Granted, one would need the mobility and proper form, but it seems that the squat jerk could be a really good total body movement, no?

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

@CT:

Or maybe they are more traditionalist (we have one russian coach near here who almost freaker ut when one of my lifters did a squat jerk in his club). [/quote]

That’s really interesting information - thank you.

Granted, one would need the mobility and proper form, but it seems that the squat jerk could be a really good total body movement, no?[/quote]

Not really unless you are VERY efficient and mobile (which very few elite olympic lifters are, let alone average Joes), otherwise the load used is too low to be of value when it comes to building size.

[quote]ishinator wrote:
Especially considering he was splitting in the 2012 olympics and I’ve never seen any Russain lifters power jerk.
[/quote]

David Bedzhanyan (RUS, 105) is a power/squat jerker, currently holds the world record clean and jerk in the 105s at 238. Here’s a video of him hitting 240 in a non-IWF sanctioned competition back in 2011 (so it’s not an official world record).

Though I’d seen Apti Aukhadov lift before the London Olympics, the Games really made me a fan of his. His lifts are incredibly crisp and really enjoyable to watch, and seeing him squat jerk at the Europeans was a pleasant surprise. Here’s his 3rd attempts from the European championships, 173 snatch and a 215 clean and jerk.

CT said that very few olympic lifters, even at the international elite level, are efficient and mobile enough to handle enough weight in the squat jerk for it to really be a good exercise in terms of building muscle or strength or whatever. I follow o-lifting a little bit, and the only guy I can think of who consistently catches internationally competitive squat jerks below parallel in competition is Lu Xiaojun (well, he catches them at parallel or above and rides them down lower) and he’s a 77kg Chinese world record holder. Here’s him hitting 205 back at the 2011 worlds.

And yes, I just jumped into this thread to bomb it with videos.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

And yes, I just jumped into this thread to bomb it with videos.[/quote]

Fine by me! I’m actually trying to master the squat jerk myself… one of my female lifters squat jerks, so I want to experiment with it to learn how to correct it and which assistance exercises to use.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

Fine by me! I’m actually trying to master the squat jerk myself… one of my female lifters squat jerks, so I want to experiment with it to learn how to correct it and which assistance exercises to use.[/quote]

@CT:

I think the stance he holds in the snatch finish and C&J start and finish is interesting. Open stance, more powerful for him and body type. Not typical, but perhaps this stance will get more attention going forward.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

Fine by me! I’m actually trying to master the squat jerk myself… one of my female lifters squat jerks, so I want to experiment with it to learn how to correct it and which assistance exercises to use.[/quote]

@CT:

I think the stance he holds in the snatch finish and C&J start and finish is interesting. Open stance, more powerful for him and body type. Not typical, but perhaps this stance will get more attention going forward.[/quote]

It’s more about “freeing the hips” than being more powerful, allows for a more upright starting position and more glute activation during the first pull.

The Jonty, I would call that lift by Bedzhanyan a power jerk since he only went into a quarter squat. Impressive strength to be able to power jerk 240.

I’ve always been a strong overhead presser so I really like the power jerk, but the danger for me is getting caught in a press out.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
The Jonty, I would call that lift by Bedzhanyan a power jerk since he only went into a quarter squat. Impressive strength to be able to power jerk 240.

I’ve always been a strong overhead presser so I really like the power jerk, but the danger for me is getting caught in a press out. [/quote]

Absolutely, that was a power jerk. It seems that when he’s in top form he doesn’t have to dip very far to catch the jerk. However, I just watched his clean and jerks from the Europeans, and he rode 230 down almost to parallel there, and here’s a video from 2009 of him riding 237 down even further.

That’s why I didn’t just call him a straight power jerker, though it does seem at his best he doesn’t need to fully squat under the jerk.

Have you found a strong correlation between your strict press and your jerk? I’ve personally never seen much carryover from pressing work (or even push press) to my jerk, though it’s possible I just didn’t put enough time and energy into it.

This lifter of yours, is squat jerking something she just started doing naturally as the weights got heavier or was it something you recommended? Did you put a lot of thought into her personal physiology (bodily proportions, relative leg strength, etc) before deciding this was something to do long term?

Also, you coach your o-lifters in Canada, don’t you? Are any of them qualified and going to Canadian nationals in May?

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
This lifter of yours, is squat jerking something she just started doing naturally as the weights got heavier or was it something you recommended? Did you put a lot of thought into her personal physiology (bodily proportions, relative leg strength, etc) before deciding this was something to do long term?

Also, you coach your o-lifters in Canada, don’t you? Are any of them qualified and going to Canadian nationals in May?[/quote]

Actually it’s something she thought looked cool and wanted to try it… in the first session she squat jerked more than she split jerked and that was it.

Three qualified but we are not going, too expensive for one of them and two of them are competing in the Crossfit regionals

“Have you found a strong correlation between your strict press and your jerk? I’ve personally never seen much carryover from pressing work (or even push press) to my jerk, though it’s possible I just didn’t put enough time and energy into it.”

Jonty, to say that I’m not the best technician in the lifts would be an understatement. While I am passionate about the sport, I’m just slightly better than “total suck.” This means I tend to “muscle” some of the movements, and this is true of my jerk. So, I’ve found that some strict pressing helps my jerk. Push pressing seems to help more, so I guess that means I’m not a total suckfest because many lifters seem to like working on the push press to help their jerk. I suppose that gaining strength in the strict press is a mental thing for me as it gives me confidence holding something heavy overhead.

I think some overhead strength work helps if there is a big disparity between upper and lower body strength. This is rare, but we have a guy like this in our weightlifting club. Prior to joining our club, he loved to squat and was good at squatting so he worked his way to a 500 lbs. squat. But he hated benching, pressing, or any other upper body lifting. As a result, he can clean 140 kg easily but can’t come close to jerking that weight. I’ve seen him work jerks off of jerk boxes and he really struggles holding the bar overhead. Sure, he could make some improvements in his jerk technique, but I can’t help thinking that some presses would do him good. I feel bad for the guy because he is a good lifter and has got a great strength base in his squat.