Russian Strength Skill on a Cut?

Hi CT

I am planning on doing your Russian Strength Skill workout to increase strength during a cut and have a couple of questions regarding excecution.

Firstly, I saw you mention the possibility of doing this with triples instead of singles starting at 75 % and wondered wether I’d get better progress doing that taking current strength levels into consideration. My 1RM’s for my chosen lifts are about 120 kg in the Squat,150-160 kg in the Deadlift, about 70 kg in the Military Press and 100-110 kg in the Bench Press (Haven’t tested the lifts yet)

Also, you mention adding vertical pulling and rowing as additional work. Would it be a good idea to spread this over both training days, for example assistance for leg and heavy back work on Squat/Deadlift day, and assitance for MP and Bench Press and light back work on MP/BP day?

Or will this be too much direct back work? Could one possibility be to skip the extra back work before the Manual Labour Day?

Thought I would add Metabolic Conditioning and walks as needed.

Thank you for your time, have never trained on a caloric deficit before and want to do it right.

[quote]bauginho wrote:
Hi CT

I am planning on doing your Russian Strength Skill workout to increase strength during a cut and have a couple of questions regarding excecution.

Firstly, I saw you mention the possibility of doing this with triples instead of singles starting at 75 % and wondered wether I’d get better progress doing that taking current strength levels into consideration. My 1RM’s for my chosen lifts are about 120 kg in the Squat,150-160 kg in the Deadlift, about 70 kg in the Military Press and 100-110 kg in the Bench Press (Haven’t tested the lifts yet)

Also, you mention adding vertical pulling and rowing as additional work. Would it be a good idea to spread this over both training days, for example assistance for leg and heavy back work on Squat/Deadlift day, and assitance for MP and Bench Press and light back work on MP/BP day?

Or will this be too much direct back work? Could one possibility be to skip the extra back work before the Manual Labour Day?

Thought I would add Metabolic Conditioning and walks as needed.

Thank you for your time, have never trained on a caloric deficit before and want to do it right.[/quote]

1. Yes, triples might be better for you

2. Be careful about adding metcons. I like metcons and they are very effective to lose fat. However when on a caloric deficit they can make it hard to recover from your training. So it really depends on the level of caloric deficit you are using. Fat loss is an emotional issue: you want to lose fat and you want to lose it NOW. Because of that we tend to do too much at first which can limit longer term progress, burn you out and even lead to strength losses.

Remember that when you are cutting calories/nutrients your body will have a lower capacity to recover from training you can’t just keep on adding work and expect a positive outcome if you can’t recover from it.

1. When losing fat, add as little lifting volume (your pulling question) to get the job done. DO NOT do more volume to preserve more muscle or feel a pump when dieting down. Remember that you have a lower capacity to recover. If your main lifts aren’t getting stronger and feeling easier you might be doing too much.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply!

I plan on taking this slow and steady. That’s why I chose the RSS, for long term progress without it being too demanding recorvery wise, and getting to work on the big lifts frequently.
Aiming for about 1-2 lbs a week, only adding work or cutting calories slightly when
fat loss stalls.

As for piling on volume, I was planning on using the assistance work to autoregulate the amount of work. Thanks for the heads up, I will keep it in mind.

Once again, appreciate you taking the time, will definitely benefit from these tips.