Russian strenght skill question

Coach Thibs,

Is it OK to rotate between the two excercises during the workout?
Like front squat 1x, deadlift 1x, front squat 1x…
I guess it gives a bit more rest between sets, maybe a sound idea?

And is it OK to do overhead press+squat, bench press+deadlift?
I am very intressted why Hepburn and you like a body part split.
Wouldn’t two presses at one day make your tris and delts to fatigued to reach your training potential for the last excercise?

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
Coach Thibs,

Is it OK to rotate between the two excercises during the workout?
Like front squat 1x, deadlift 1x, front squat 1x…
I guess it gives a bit more rest between sets, maybe a sound idea?

And is it OK to do overhead press+squat, bench press+deadlift?
I am very intressted why Hepburn and you like a body part split.
Wouldn’t two presses at one day make your tris and delts to fatigued to reach your training potential for the last excercise?
[/quote]

1. It’s okay to rotate between the two exercises BUT I personally prefer to do all sets of the same exercise (there is the workman workout that is done in circuit/complex fashion already). I find that when rotating exercises every set your technical focus is a bit lower. And the goal of pure strength-skill work is to maximize technical mastery/learning.

2. I don’t “like” a body part split. I use all kind of approaches when I plan training sessions. I prefer to group the lifts this way for this program because again of technical mastery. When you already “prepared” the body with a pressing movement the groove is greased for the second one and technique tends to be more fluid. Furthermore, there isn’t much fatigue with this type of loading so it’s not really a bit factor.