T Nation

Russian Bear Method

I know the loading technique for this method,
1st set- 5 reps with a weight you could do 6
2nd set- 90% of 1st set for 5 reps
the rest- 80% of 1st set for 5 reps untill you can’t do 5 with good form
And i know your suppose to use tension techniques does this mean a slow negative and a fast positive or what does this mean?
And whats the frequency for this program i’ve read you do 2 exercises 3 times a week using the bear method??? I’m kinda confused about everything but the loading technique any help would be appreciated?

thats pretty much what im doing. i would say go for 5 of what you could do 6(that is 6 in good/the same form, not 6 to failure). i wouldnt try this with isolation exercises at all. its easy to overtrain just doing a few(1-3)big lifts. so yeah, you can do it a few times a week, just make sure you either periodize(2steps forw, 1 step back etc.) with your weight or periodize with your volume sets, keeping the weight constant, or just do the same sets and same weights for 3-4 weeks and let your body adapt. you just gotta track it good and watch the overtraining . i think initial overtraining (unbelievable soreness)is ok as long as you give your body a chance to adapt. ive done old style,10of 10 , german volume training, leaving the weight constant for 6 weeks. the reps and weight that killed me the first week(ie i could hardly sit down from all of those squats) didnt even leave me sore the next day by the sixth week.
hope some of that helps,
ryan

Binford.

The Bear technique, as with most good programs, will give some good results, and provide a change of pace for your body.

And i know your suppose to use tension techniques does this mean a slow negative and a fast positive or what does this mean?

• Tension in the manner of P. Tsatsouline (the main proponent of “the Bear” technique) is basically tensing all the supporting musculature around the lift in question. e.g. CONSCIOUSLY tense triceps, abs, lower back, retract the shoulder blades, before initiating the DL. These are focusing techniques to keep the lift tighter and stricter. For more info, you need to read up on the literature by the man himself.

And whats the frequency for this program i’ve read you do 2 exercises 3 times a week using the bear method???

• I would say no more than 4 times per week, depending on your recovery abilities, how much of any other training you are performing, and how you FEEL.

It’s also important to stress (as Ryan did) that the Bear only really works with the compound lifts (max 2-3). The body gradually adapts to the increasing volume. However the TOTAL volume is still kept relatively low, in comparison to many other hypertrophy programs. You don’t NEED any accessory exercises whilst using this technique (although a lot of people can’t resist the temptation of throwing in a few sets of tri’s, bi’s and abs at the end!).

Another important aspect you DIDN’T mention of this program is that the TOTAL workout should be completed in a MAXIMUM of 45 mins (22 mins for each exercise?). To ensure this, you gradually decrease the REST periods between subsequent sets @80% 1RM, till the form becomes “shaky”. It’s very important in my experience to stop at this point, especially if you hope to recover for the next session adequately. This stipulation in itself nicely governs the training volume. The reason I stress this, is that a lot of people who try this program make great gains in the first 1-2 weeks, only to falter progress subsequently. This is generally because they have disobeyed the 45mins rule, and the volume of sets/reps they are now performing at the 80% mark has become too high to adapt and recover, coming back stronger the next session.

A final point- It is advised (and I have found this to be true also) that the best length of this cycle is only in the region of 12 workouts (i.e. 3-4 weeks max, depdt on sessions per week). After that, you should switch to something different for at least 2-3 weeks before coming back (if you want) to the routine again.

Hope this helps some. SRS