Russia Won't Go Away

What does 90% confirmed mean? Isn’t it a bit like saying 90% pregnant?

3 Likes

This could be interesting:

Friday, Putin signs a bill targeting foreign media.

Saturday:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/934551607596986368

1 Like

And to think, someone was actually arguing with me when I said that Trump was trying to stifle the media.

2 Likes

BUT WHEN HAS HE ACTUALLY DONE IT THOUGH. Apart from the multitudes of times I mean.

1 Like

This is very interesting. It’s from 2014, but you will clearly see how Trump has adopted these same tactics.

I agree, it’s not like Obama who really did take our guns.

1 Like
2 Likes

The only reason the far right or whatever they call themselves these days likes Putin is because they saw him shirtless. That makes him sooooo alpha.

4 Likes

I know you’re joking, but there is definitely something to that. Idiots who have no clue how Putin really operates see a “decisive” leader in him (I’m pretty sure there was a US poll done on this not long ago). And we all know how Trump kowtows to decisive leaders.

I wasn’t joking. They do see him as an alpha male but as far as I know he was one of those paper pushing banality of evil types.

Not only that, but as I said before Putin is in Russia actually doing all those stuff that most rabid alt-righters accused Obama of trying to do.

Sharia law by stealth? Check.
An ambitious mosque building program? Check
Tolerance for crimes committed by Muslims? Check

BTW, this is Moscow - you know, the largest Muslim city in Europe. But don’t tell that to Putin fanboys who believe in “shared Judeo-Christian values”

2 Likes

question–what does Putin hope to get out of this policy set? I have often wondered this. It does not look to me like this is any sort of productive policy, and I’m aware of some tolerance being expressed (although I was ignorant of the mosque building and Sharia programs).

I just don’t see how this benefits Russia long term. In some short term scenarios I suppose I can see how this lowers their target priority level for Islamic terrorism, but I really don’t understand this.

1 Like

I’m sure Loppar is going to enlighten all of us here shortly (that sounds sarcastic as hell lol) but Putin is regarded as the wealthiest man in the world (unofficially). I’m not sure “benefiting Russia” is of concern to him since he’s been successfully robbing the citizens blind for two decades.

1 Like

You’re probably right about that, but I still don’t see how it helps him personally either. His money making buddies are Russians and oligarchs not Islamists.

Russia went from being one of two world’s superpowers to a drunk joke punchline in the space of a few years during the early 1990s.

And Putin is bringing back to the Russians what they always wanted and craved - being feared. It’s a complex mixture of an inferiority complex, paranoia and conspiracy theories that defines the Russian popular psyche, and Putin is using it as an distraction while his cronies are robbing the country blind.

Sure, the economic situation is much better than it was during the dark years of the Yeltsin era, but the Russian economy is falling well short of its potential. And the Kremlin media apparatus is telling people that’s is everyone else’s fault - Americans, Europeans, gays, Jews… you name it.

Putin is playing world superpower on the cheap - crunch the numbers and you’ll see how staggeringly little Russia is spending in Syria compared to US in Iraq and Afghanistan. And for such a little investment, they’re not only equal to the us but even dominant in those theaters.

And the Russians love that - they’re not ridiculed anymore, they’re feared. So the popular culture is a mixture of a faux Western society combined with “cool” aspects of Soviet culture, namely militarism.

Coke and Pepsi ads run before the weather forecast in which the host touts “excellent bombing weather in Syria, clear skies”, tabloids mix news about the Kardashians with glowing reports about new howitzer and ICBMs for which “the Americans have no answer” while feeding the under-siege mentality from all those aforementioned groups, feeding Russian paranoia and xenophobia.

So it’s the imperialism of the old Soviet Union, only without the need to pay lip service to communism. Meanwhile, Putin’s cronies are stashing funds abroad and snapping up real estate in the US for their children, while the ordinary Russian feels good that the Americans fear them.

3 Likes

I often wonder what the people there feel. Makes sense. Does the general public love Putin as news displays. Or is that fake because fear of saying something controversial may lead to prison or something bad. Also why do you think American right wingers like Putin anyhow?

The Russians did write the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Not much has changed since then in Russia. The majority of Stormfront readers are from Russia.