T Nation

Russia Won't Go Away

While I wish that this Russian issue would just go away (it simply is not good for our Country)…it won’t.

While many (including the President) are ready to place the blame on “the media” or the DEMS…the President and the GOP better also look in the mirror.

The President stoked the “Birther-ism Fire” at every occasion…and the GOP and the sanctimonious Jason Chaffetz didn’t see an Obama/Clinton action that didn’t require an investigation.(Where is his “outrage” now, by the way?).

As the saying goes “Karma is a bitch…”

But when the only winner in all of this is ultimately Putin…and our Country suffers as a result…there will be no celebration on my part.

God help us.

Thoughts?

Gari (Garry) Kasparov is as always on the mark;

There’s enough smoke to warrant an investigation and special counsel. Republicans don’t want to hear that because they’re basking in a honeymoon phase of sorts.

Now we have credible information that a sitting U.S. Senator and early Trump surrogate had meetings with a Russian ambassador at the height of the interference scandal. Only the hyper-est of partisans would think this doesn’t deserve a full investigation.

To be fair, he has called on Sessions to recuse himself from any Russia-election-related investigations.

Imo full investigation would simply be a waste of money. I put it akin to being audited by the IRS, except the IRS lets you conduct the audit and has no ability to override your findings.

Not that I wouldn’t love to see Trump blame the media some more, but if the goal is transparency, we’re not going to get it out of a repub controlled 3 branches govt when they don’t have to.

That’s the point of appointing special counsel - to remove the obvious conflict of interest. I’m hopeful that Republicans still believe there is an honest, trustworthy man (or woman) to conduct such an investigation and get to the truth, no matter whose ox is gored.

In theory that sounds awesome. In practice I’m a little too jaded about DC to get my hopes up. Especially with this new phase the GoP is in where they have no standards on any topic that the Dems have done before.

Historically “Deny-Deny-Deny” just doesn’t work.

Trump is VERY early in his Presidency.

I would say get on top of it (unless he was involved in some way?); cut your losses; and move on.

This tortuous “slow-drip” of information coming out simply helps no one…and it never has.

Franken asked about “any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of [Trump’s] campaign…”

1. Sessions was a self-admitted Trump surrogate, so condition #1 (‘anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign’) was met.
  2. Sessions spoke with the Russian ambassador, so condition #2 (‘a member of the Russian government’) was met.
  3. Sessions spoke with the ambassador at the GOP convention, so condition #3 (‘in the course of the campaign’) was met.

Hard to see how Session’s answer (“I did not have communications with the Russians”) is anything but false.

Again…the President needs to get on Top of this.

Not to mention Sessions actually volunteered the information to Franken.

During Sessions’s confirmation hearing on January 10, Senator Al Franken asked what he would do if he learned that Trump campaign officials had been talking with the Russian government. Sessions volunteered that he was a campaign surrogate and had not communicated with the Russians.

“I’m not aware of any of those activities,” Sessions said, adding, “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”

The Post reports that Sessions also denied discussing the election with the Russians in his written statements to the Senate Judiciary Committee:

In January, Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) asked Sessions for answers to written questions. “Several of the President-elect’s nominees or senior advisers have Russian ties. Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?” Leahy wrote.

Sessions responded with one word: “No.”

People can bitch and moan all they want… Truth is Russia is a shity country that is horrible on civil rights freedom and fucking with other countrys… Yea the Trump Putin thing needs investigation… Should be independent so his peeps dont cloud the waters…I dont think Trumps misdirection tactics will work here… If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd its prolly a turd

Sure its a turd. Its always a turd. The trick is convincing yourself that you are picking it up by the clean end.

A lot of GOP members (Chaffetz, Collins, Issa, Portman and Ryan) now saying Sessions should recuse himself.

I’m wondering if he’s going to get hit with a perjury charge.

I doubt it. He’ll probably just say it slipped his 70 year-old mind and that will be good enough.

Edit: I still doubt it, but I missed in the article that Sessions actually met with Kislyak, so that makes it a little harder for him to claim forgetfulness.

You may want to read some of his own comments on that tweet.