Russel VS Gibbs (IPF Worlds 2018)

Shit, it’s even worse, I’m 5’9. Just imagine how much I could pull if I was 5’2.

Hey, I just call it how I see it. You guys should start your own fed.

It’s been mentioned so many times that I feel like slapping people across the face. If someone who actually had a half decent bench was complaining about arching then maybe their opinion would be worthy of respect but you guys just sound like a bunch of whiny little bitches, crying because your bench sucks. Look at Josh Bryant’s old bench videos, he benched 600 -with no arch, because it didn’t work for him- at 22 years old and I didn’t hear him complain about other people arching a single time. What have you guys got to say for your sorry asses?

5’9 if you’re on a stack of books maybe. If you ever did decide to slap me make sure to bring a ladder, Napoleon.

Personally, I could care less about your opinion and what you have to say. From what I’ve read, you’re a pretty average powerlifter with an alpha complex. No one outside this forum knows who you are or cares. Now you could say the same for me, but most of my training time has been in martial arts, not powerlifting; so I at least have an excuse. What’s yours?

If you don’t like what’s being talked about, feel free to fuck off somewhere else. Getting so offended by someone saying something you disagree with is… feminine.

What do you even mean, what do we have to say for our sorry asses? I never claimed to be particularly strong, I just sat here, watched an event, had a comment, complimented the lifter several times, and acknowledged what you said. That guy, being way lighter than me, is stronger, and can definitely strict bench more than I can. He can close grip, no arch, 2-minute pause more than I can TNG, I’m sure. He’s a world record holder, no shit he’s strong as shit. I dont know that I’ll ever bench a ton of weight, and I’ll certainly never compete in powerlifting. I can’t stress enough that this has nothing to do with how little I lift. A couple months ago I had thought I would never squat, deadlift, or BB bench again and was fine with it.
But make no mistake man, you really are the only one in this conversation who sounds whiny. Something triggered your sensitive side, apparently, and you’ve just been insulting us and lashing out nonstop. There’s even a T-Nation article decrying bench arch that I remember reading, written by a powerlifter who deadlifted 700 pounds and set a state record, so I know YOU think this is cut-and-dry, and maybe this dead horse has been beaten too often, but it’s my first go-round with it, and everything was cool until you jumped in here and started throwing personal insults around.
You’re pretty strong - I’ve seen your log, and I respect your opinion with regard to arches. I really have never encountered anyone getting so upset and hurling so many insults at people who were making comments - even if you disagreed with them. Did I retaliate at all, in any way, or get offended by what you said, or type something insulting in an attempt to belittle you? Did I go browsing your history and rag on your weight, or your height, or anything? Nope. Did I care when @flipcollar bluntly - as is his style - shut down my argument, point by point? Nope.
I really should have left the conversation at first when I saw how upset you got, but you just sound like a miserable human to talk to and I’m out of here now.

Also - threatening to slap people over the internet is badass bro. Weird that I didn’t see you on any of my deployments with Marine Corps Infantry - you’d have been the biggest badass in my platoon.

1 Like

We’ve had some internet tough guys come to my MMA gym (the one me and a friend of mine opened together). I have yet to be slapped in the face by one lol

Why does this stupid ROM argument come up so often?

1 Like

Am I supposed to feel sad that you think I’m shorter than I really am? I don’t get it.

Maybe I’m not a better lifter than you but at least I don’t whine and complain when someone lifts more than me by using a technique that I am unable to.

Are you implying that you identify as female? You certainly sound offended, with the petty insults and all.

Because there are a lot of fucking idiots.

Too much gibberish to read.

There’s a first time for everything.

All I’m saying is that I’m tired of hearing the same stupid argument over and over and that the people arguing against bench arches always suck at benching so their argument holds no weight. You don’t get extra points for squatting below the required depth so why argue for extra ROM in the bench press if it is done according to the rules?

Ok so here’s what happened… two men were talking about something and you disagreed with what was being said, so you got in your feelings and insulted them both. So I returned the favor. Then you went full internet tough guy and said you’d like to slap someone; which is dumb. Just so we’re clear, you are not an authority on all things (or really anything) powerlifting. Again, you are pretty average. Your coaching has produced exactly “0” world champions, and you personally would get outlifted by a high school football team. So where you come off with this alpha complex on Internet forums is beyond me. Probably because you haven’t done anything of any real significance on the platform. So you come to Internet forums and play tough guy to total strangers. Guessing it’s due to being a short, feminine man. But that’s on you.

1 Like

Average in powerlifting is better than 99% of people who argue against arching. I’m also making progress. I have been doing this for less than 4 years, not everyone starts at the top. Does anyone at all?

Actually I helped a guy set a deadlift world record in 100% RAW.

I don’t know where you get this idea that I’m short or feminine. You must be into guys or something.

Nobody hurt my feelings, I’m just tired of seeing stupid comments like that. People always post stuff like that on YouTube and Instagram, now we have two threads in a week that turned into a debate on bench arches. These are fruitless arguments. Watch this video, made by highly respected coaches:

For the record, I didn’t see the other thread about all this. Wouldn’t have made that comment if I had. Still don’t think the insults or personal attacks were merited but I’m removing all my comments in an attempt to end this dick measuring contest.

I HAVE A RECOGNIZABLE STYLE YAYYYYY!!!

1 Like

Also, what’s the deal with bhinkle calling Chris short? Where did that come from? I’ve read a ton of Chris’s posts since he’s been on here, and I don’t ever remember him coming across as having a short guy complex, or saying he’s short, or anything along those lines.

well this thread went south quick, lol.
I always wonder how much people who complain about arching etc actually bench themselves.

I don’t know, and I didn’t want to insult anyone. For the record, @joerywesselingg I can’t bench for shit and made the original comment. Not that I didn’t compliment the lifter multiple times, and say that the rules should stay the same, but it seems like a stupid comment now in retrospect, especially given my tendency to pull sumo not long ago. I just don’t have time for internet threats or personal insults. Apparently I stumbled on the powerlifting version of going into Guitar Center and playing Stairway to Heaven on the amplifiers - ain’t nobody got time for that.

I’ve spent a good portion of my life working in a maximum security prison. I know a feminine man when I see one

Yeah, now that i read this again you’re right.
You indeed complimented him.
Also wasnt ment as insult if it came over that way

1 Like

As soon as he started bullying the deadlift kid (the high schooler) I knew he was a fake tough guy with a Napoleon complex. What 34 year old man tries to call out a high school kid on Internet forums?

Nope, didn’t come over that way, and it actually is a valid point- if it was cheating, I’d be able to do it. But I can’t. No worries man.