Russel VS Gibbs (IPF Worlds 2018)

Very fun meet. I love that it only took a couple hours.

Also very happy for Gibbs. Squat WR, Bench WR for a minute and Total WR.

TRACKER SHOULD BE GOOD!!!

1 Like

so annoyed that i was at work and missed this.

Wow what a meet.
Gibbs clearly being the better lifter this year. Such a awesome performance on his part.
Russel did the best he can, Gibbs clearly had more in him than russel on this day. Maybe in a couple years russel can take on gibbs.

Toubal, man he’s a beast. He looks like a 105’r lOL

1 Like

The last thing IPF judges need is another reason to disqualify a lift. That being said, I do find it ironic that they are such Nazis on squat depth and allow this type of bench pressing.

The last thing anyone needs is another discussion on bench arches. Either start arching or remain silent.

1 Like

what is ironic about it? Squat depth has a clear definition. As far as I’m aware, there is no rule regarding arm angles in a bench press. Which means it isn’t subject to being judged. So why would anyone care? It’s a completely different lift. Just because gym rats care about arm angle doesn’t mean powerlifting judges should.

Anyone who has a problem with arching in the bench press should just stay the hell away from anything related to powerlifting. These discussions are just retarded.

I don’t bench with a huge arch, if I did it wouldn’t add much to my bench and it would fuck my back up for the deadlift. Another 20lbs on your bench isn’t worth 100 off your deadlift.

I disagree.

which isn’t cheating. so not much of a point to be made, eh?

it’s not as if people are getting away with not quite touching the bar to their chest, or letting their ass come off the bench, or shuffling their feet, or anything like that. They’re doing all the things they’re supposed to be doing. What more could anyone want?

nope. see reasoning above. If squat depth was not precisely defined in the rules, or if arm angle was mentioned in the rules, you would have a point. but, alas, neither is the case.

1 Like

it’s funny how different strongman is from powerlifting. And that’s probably why I give zero shits about powerlifters pushing the limits of what they can get away with. In Strongman, we’re constantly trying to figure out new ways to cheat, lol. Grip shirts for overhead events and stone of steel. Tacky, stone sleeves. Deadlift suits, figure 8 straps. I’ve seen a hussafel stone shouldered in a comp because it wasn’t specifically outlawed.

Funny thing: the last time I saw something banned in strongman it was the roizo grip shirts. and not because of the advantage they gave people. That part was fine. The problem was they were taking money from customers and not shipping shirts in a timely manner, and the strongman fed (USS) wanted to put pressure on the company to start delivering. The company caught up on orders, and now everyone can use them again.

1 Like

I really didn’t disagree with anything either of you said - I said his technique was amazing and he’s clearly just good at this sport. I just found the ROM to be disappointing after watching Gibbs’ bench. But I do understand what both of you are saying and if it’s that touchy of a subject I’ll just backpedal out of here.

If I want to have a discussion about bench arch and ROM on this forum, I don’t think I need to ask your permission. Feel free to take your own advice

You’re right it isn’t part of the rules, so they’re allowed to do it. It’s just strange they allow such short ROM in the bench and demand excessive ROM in the squat

shoulders and butt have to be touching the bench at all times. Feet can’t move. bar must touch the chest. bar cannot dip once up command has been given. arms must lock out at the completion of the movement.

That seems pretty clear to me. Arm angle is not mentioned, thus arm angle is inconsequential to the definition of the bench press. It’s not that it’s unclear, it’s that this thing that you value isn’t actually valued by judges.

This would be akin to saying a squat isn’t good because, say, the knees caved too much. Or something like that. Lateral knee travel isn’t mentioned in the squat rule book, thus it doesn’t matter. arm angle isn’t mentioned in the bench rules, thus it doesn’t matter.

c’est la vie.

1 Like

We already had one the other day. The conclusion was that anyone arguing against bench arches is a fucking fool. You are in good company.

In equipped lifting (which is also in the IPF) it is common for lifters to bench more than they deadlift.

Again just in case it didn’t sink in the first time.

What about big bellies? Or short arms? Why not regulate those?

Which is why this is a stupid argument. If I ever hear someone talking this nonsense in person I think I will have to slap them across the face.

Comparing a squat to a bench press makes no sense and nobody cares about ROM except confused young men with internet access and weak totals (that is if they even compete). If you can break parallel with almost no bar movement then be my guest, set a world record.

For the record, I saw Toubal Fatah’s squat and it was right at parallel. The IPF earned itself a bad name in the past by giving red lights for good squats, however since last year they have a side view replay that takes away any doubt as to whether the lift was good or not. This was not a good lift, another inch or two and he would have had it. And this is coming from the same guy who couldn’t stop complaining about the fucked up judging at the US Open on the Sunday.

Don’t mind him. He’s gonna spend his whole life mad cause he’s only 5’8. You didn’t say anything wrong. That bench press is a 4 board press if you take the arch away. IPF wants everyone to believe it’s the “gold standard,” but it’s clear there is some crap benching going on.