Rush Limbaugh

Misuse of Pain Drug Linked to Hearing Loss

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-091001vicodin.story

Another “liberal media” conspiracy I suppose?

There is no defensible reason in the year 2003 to use the phrase “black quarterback.” That’s too race-aware on its face. He’s not the first one. He sure as hell won’t be the last one. He’s not even the only one to do well (or at least appear to – Hello, Michael Vick.) There’s absolutely no novelty left. What the motivation for mentioning race?

If Rush had said that McNabb was overrated and that some in the media simply wanted to see him do well and hadn’t used that phrase, there would have been no problem. That’s simply an opinion.

Typical republican dogshit . …

‘you cant attack his ideas because you know he is right, so you have to attack the persons character’

slinging around hypocritical accusations
when about five years ago, the republican congress brought a $60 MILLION taxpayer dollar onslaught against a liberal president to sift through his garbage. When Starr didnt find a goddamned thing with their intended investigation, the Whitewater affair, attack his personal life and personal affairs. And yet here you sit accusing the damned liberals from a high and mighty perch. Get over yourself.
It was interesting listening to Rush on Monday lick his asshole trying to explain away the white house leak as liberal propiganda.

As an African-American/hispanic, I do not believe Rush Limbaugh is A racist. I do believe Rush Limbaugh made a stupid statement. Also, I believe Rush knew what he was saying. Rush suckered blacks and whites with his comments.

Racism is caused by a few people in all races. For example, if all the races got along, Jesse Jackson, the KKK, Al Sharpton, Neo Nazis, and other groups would not be heared. The aforementioned people and groups would lose money and respect.

Human beings get along with each other, everyday. I am in the military. If the races do not rely on each other in combat, we all die. When races do not get along, it sells television spots, ratings go up, newspapers sell more. Think about it, if human beings got along, the news would be boring.

I am for affirmative action for all races. For example, I have seen poor white soldiers from the hills of Tennesee who join the military to better themselves. I have seen poor Asians do the same thing. It is well known a lot of African Americans join the military to leave proverty. All of the aformentioned people should receive affirmative action because these people are not asking for a hand out. The aformentioned people are busting the butts for their country.
As a society, we are smarter than the media. DO NOT BE SUCKERED!

Does anyone else remember Jimmy the Greek?

I agree that it is blown a little out of proportion, but someone with his strident opinions on everything was bound to draw some negative attention. He frankly should have known better. He dug his own grave if you ask me.

Slight correction… That was actually $90 million that was spent investigating Clinton. How dare that man get a blowjob? He must have been the first president in HISTORY to EVER do that!

Jpfitness,

You are from Arkansas, right? Ever talk to any people from around Mena?

Blown out of proportion. Way out. Hey I think racism is bad. However I think we are all racist on some level. From very small or even subconcious levels to nazi extremists. Why is there so much lot put in what people say? Damn can’t a guy make a mistake anymore? Sometimes you blurt out stupid things! Ask any of the girls I work with!!! Heheh. Oi! :wink:

"slinging around hypocritical accusations
when about five years ago, the republican congress brought a $60 MILLION taxpayer dollar onslaught against a liberal president to sift through his garbage. When Starr didnt find a goddamned thing with their intended investigation, the Whitewater affair, attack his personal life and personal affairs. And yet here you sit accusing the damned liberals from a high and mighty perch. Get over yourself.
It was interesting listening to Rush on Monday lick his asshole trying to explain away the white house leak as liberal propiganda. "

goddamn i get tired of hearing this bullshit. The clintons are the ric flairs of politics (dirtiest players in the game). And we are comparing a President who shredded documents and lied under oath to a political talk show host who is accused of abusing drugs in which not enough evidence is even around to question him about it? They havent even questioned him about it. Dont you think that he would be one of the first people they talked to if they had all that evidence really?

And how dare a liberal tell someone to get off their high perch? Isnt that the crutch of liberalism. “You cant live without my help.”

“Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide.” ~ Jim Burnham

It’s not the Liberals’ fault that Rush is hooked on narcotics like Oxycontin.

Liberals didn’t put those drugs in Rush’s mouth.

I for one thought it was cool that someone with no credintials other that being a fan was able to have a voice on NFL Countdown, but the remarks Rush made was not only out of line but was a racist remark. One doesn’t have to say a word like the N word, a derogatory remark or be part of a hate group to be considered a racist. What Rush saw was McNabbs race. He could have said a hundred other reasons as to why he felt McNabb was overrated but he focused in on the color of his skin as the reason, which to me makes him a racist.

Maybe Rush was trying to be edgy or say “what the the other sports analyst would be afraid to say” but to me he was being stupid. If that’s his opinion fine, but when your in a position like he was in you just can’t say things like that on national TV without offending viewers because it’s the viewers that utimately decide whether a show succeeds or fails. So in my opinion he did the right thing by resigning so NFL countdown would not be put in a bad light.

Limbaugh complained about the possibility of people being judged based on their skin, and not on ability.

Don’t I remember a famous speech where the statement, “Don’t judge me by the color of my skin, but judge me by my character, and deeds”, was spoken? Are people actually upset that Limbaugh agrees with Martin Luther King, jr.?

Some people hate others just for their political beliefs. Yet these same people will say they are against hate. Does anybody realize it is possible to disagree with others and not hate them? (Damn, my spell checker apparently has a PC checker. It is telling me that them should be replaced with “him or her”.)

For those of you that don’t know he has denied the drug allegations, which were made my a person who was paid a quarter of a million by the National Enquirer.

As far as Clinton, once again proof that Clinton’s spin doctors were very skilled. Star never said, “We are investigating the allegations that Clinton got a blowjob.” The only investigation related to that was lying under oath, otherwise known as the crime of perjury. Plus this was not the only thing investigated. Anyone remember Whitewater? Oh, jodgey does, but cannot remember all the people who were convicted by Star, all who were doing business with the Clintons?

They also successfully spun his impeachment as about sex, and not about the perjury. Although perjury was still a stupid reason to impeach a president. He was punished by being disbarred, and that was the proper punishment. The impeachment was only because Republicans thought Clinton was getting away with a lot of shit, and wanted to get him on at least one thing, instead it backfired on them. More proof that hate is self-destructive.

Lumpy, I was shocked only one of your three links was from your brainwashing website. Your first step at thinking. You deserve a cookie.

P.S. Love you guys, and not in a gay way.

:^P

Overrated? McNabb play a whole game with a broken leg. Rush should STFU and pop some pills.

JimMcD,

I agree, we should be a color blind society by now. Why are we not? It has nothing to do with Rush’s comments, and everything to do with the way our Government treats blacks and minoritys in general.

The reason someone like Rush can look at McNabb and comment on him as being black is because our Government wants everyone (especially blacks) to feel like they are inferior.

Only an inferior race would need extra points on federal employment exams. Only an inferior race would need to be the recipent of an outlandish quota system. And only an inferior race would need special rights under the law, called 'protected class" status.

No, Rush is not the fault here. The fault lies with the US Government for giving all minoritys in particularly blacks, special rights above and beyond what white people recieve. When in fact black people are capable of success without them and do not need to be propped up in such a way.

You cannot have it both ways! If blacks are equal (which of course they are) then they do not need all of the special rights. If they are given these rights, then do not blame people like Rush who point out someones skin tone and suggest that this perons may be getting a free rid, because of it.

After all, isnt that what the US Government specializes in?

RE: The alleged addiction to painkillers.

Lumpy, remember the pentultimate source of this story is the National Enquirer. While the source in and of itself does not prove whether the story is true, I think prudence would suggest waiting for more corroboration than other news agencies picking up the original Enquirer piece.

Otherwise you risk coming off as naive, and so focused in your hatred that your point of view is untrustworthy. Just my $0.02.

The second half of this column by Brent Bozell contains a few examples that counter some of the more thoughtful criticisms of Rush, which basically hold that he got in trouble not for being racist, but for injecting race where it didn’t belong. I agree he did that, but he got in trouble because he did it from a conservative viewpoint – those who do it from the other side generally suffer no consequences.

by L. Brent Bozell III
October 2, 2003

The media frenzy that pressed Rush Limbaugh’s resignation from ESPN’s NFL pregame show has been amazingly intense when compared to what was actually said. The entire sports/political culture ought to take a deep breath… and relax.

Rush said that he thought Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb has always been overrated because liberal sports reporters are blinded by a desire to see a black quarterback succeed. Forget the first part of this statement: Many (including me) would disagree that McNabb has been overrated. If Rush had said only that, he would have triggered a good old ESPN shouting match, presumably what he was being paid to do.

It was the second part – the media are rooting for McNabb to succeed because he’s black – that did him in. Typical of the ensuing firestorm was this comment from Sports Illustrated’s Roy Johnson, who told CBS: “To say that there’s a social concern and a belief to want black quarterbacks to do well is ludicrous.”

Ludicrous? What’s ludicrous is the denial.

Of course there is a social concern to see blacks break sports barriers, and it’s laughable to pretend otherwise. Would Tiger Woods’ arrival on the golf scene have garnered one-tenth the publicity were he white? Sports writers nationwide chased him with notebooks and microphones from Stanford straight into the PGA because he was making history, and they openly applauded the achievement. Who would try to deny that the same sentiment could be found with the ascent of tennis superstars Venus and Serena Williams from their poor and humble beginnings? To deny that our sports media – along with the public – cheer for black progress and greater black representation at the top of sports is folly.

And the same can be found in football. There are countless examples – we’ve all heard them – of commentators, columnists, and editorial writers agitating for more black coaches and quarterbacks in the NFL. Last January 8, New York Times columnist Selena Roberts did precisely that: “Didn’t Michael Vick decode the Falcons’ system ahead of the normal curve? Didn’t Donovan McNabb prove he would decipher defenses from the Eagles’ pocket after he broke a spoke on his ankle? Hasn’t Steve McNair managed to outsmart defenders despite missing Titans practices because of pain? As the playoffs have revealed, there’s progress, but so little change. There are proven black quarterbacks and coaches, but race relations are running a reverse in the NFL.”

Maybe that wasn’t what got Rush in trouble. Maybe it was that he had the temerity to slam the “liberal” sports writers. But again Rush makes a defensible point: many sports writers are liberal and use their sports forums to agitate politically.

After New York Times columnist Roberts finished praising the prowess of Vick, McNabb, and McNair, she turned her guns on NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who she dismissed as hopelessly white (“as culturally hip as Pat Boone”); stated the NFL “is still as white as baking soda while teams ponder their openings;” and accused the owners of using “Trent Lott logic; just because you say ‘what up, homey’ doesn’t mean you’re inclusive.” If that’s not liberal-think, what is it?

Washington Post columnist Michael Wilbon is a great read on his sports page, great entertainment on TV, and also regularly liberal politically in his sports reports. In 1995, Wilbon cheered NFL star Kellen Winslow when he entered the Hall of Fame with a political speech attacking Justice Clarence Thomas for opposing racial quotas and “barring the government from doing the right thing.” Wrote Wilbon: “Winslow can be my Gipper any day. My hands are still raw from the applause.” Wilbon even cheered the arrival of black sports stars at Louis Farrakhan’s “Million Man March,” and said of this spewing preacher and racist, anti-Semitic and America-hating bilge: “So much of Farrakhan’s message was necessary and correct.” None of this stopped ESPN from hiring Wilbon for its daily show, “Pardon the Interruption.”

One wishes Rush had explained himself better. Maybe it would have mollified his critics had he explained that it is also in the conservative impulse to cheer the achievements of barrier-breaking blacks, so long as the achievement is real (Woods, Williams sisters) and not construed (in Rush’s analysis, McNabb). But that’s the stuff of three hour radio talk show discussions, not seven-second TV soundbites. That mistake, coupled with the media’s unwavering commitment to political correctness, is what spurred ESPN to grow queasy and hush Rush.

Since most Rush fans don’t think a liberal can criticize Rush I thought it’d be good for a voting republican to criticize him. I’ve voted for Reagan twice and Bush for governor and president. Rush says a lot of stupid things. Does anyone here remember his views on the Rodney King beating. Until the end he was backing the cops, then when it was close to over he changed his mind and thought they went too far in the beating. He makes fun of the way people look, has he seen a mirror lately. Rush is just getting back what he’s dished out and there’s nothing wrong with that. And Rush’s drug thing kind of reminds me of that two faced Bill Bennett with all your sins are wrong and mine are ok mentality.

I’m just glad that he didn’t mention McNabb’s predilection for fried chicken.