Running Without Catabolizing

[quote]djnleffler wrote:
Do you think 2 scoops of Surge before and after a 6 mile run is enough to avoid catabolizing? Then a good meal a couple hours afterwards?
What’s BCAA?
[/quote]

The Surge thing will work fine if it fits in with the rest of your diet. A good meal a few hours afterwards would be something reasonably high in carbohydrates and protein with a little fat - maybe whole wheat pasta with a chicken breast and some garlic olive oil. Something along those lines.

BCAA stands for branch-chain amino acids. They absorb super fast, assuming the supplement is of reasonable quality - even faster than the whey in Surge. The idea is to have the amino acids immediately available rather than having to digest food/catabolize muscle tissue.

-Dan

The idea of rotating different parameters during the week is something I have been doing for a while myself. I currently run three days a week, 10x100m on the first day, 3x400m on the second and 5000m with varying intensity on the third. It has to be mentioned, though, that I do this coupled with an above maintenance caloric intake. On a calorie restricted diet, you will probably have to pay close attention to your peri-workout nutrition.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
BCAA stands for branch-chain amino acids. They absorb super fast, assuming the supplement is of reasonable quality - even faster than the whey in Surge. The idea is to have the amino acids immediately available rather than having to digest food/catabolize muscle tissue.

-Dan[/quote]

Cool. I’m picking up some Universal BCAA stack with glutamine. Do you take this stuff only on energy systems days? Also, I usually eat a couple hours before running and then I’ll drink a couple scoops of regular Grow! (for the carbs) and some BCAA after with water. Is that a good combo for sprints and a longer 5 to 7 mile run? Should I throw a Grow! bar in there somewhere an hour before running or afterward?

[quote]djnleffler wrote:

Cool. I’m picking up some Universal BCAA stack with glutamine. Do you take this stuff only on energy systems days? Also, I usually eat a couple hours before running and then I’ll drink a couple scoops of regular Grow! (for the carbs) and some BCAA after with water. Is that a good combo for sprints and a longer 5 to 7 mile run? Should I throw a Grow! bar in there somewhere an hour before running or afterward?

I’ve used the Universal BCAA Stack before. I found that it’s far better than the empty stomach approach. Yes, I only took it on energy system days along with Maximum Strength HOT-ROX when I was shooting for max fat burn in the mornings. I followed those days with a Low-Carb Grow! shake about an hour after my sprints. This was during a period when this site was out of Surge for weeks and I needed a substitute to make my supply last. Surge, however, is MUCH better if you can afford it (BCAA’s plus protein and glucose). If you’re taking a Grow! shake within two hours before your run, though, I wouldn’t consider that to be a fasted state. Just make sure you’re drinking plenty of fluids and follow the usual PW nutrition guidelines given by others on this site. Have fun.

[quote]djnleffler wrote:
[/quote]

You don’t have to use BCAA’s only on energy system days - they’re great to use with glucose right before a weight training session, too, or right afterwards - basically before any activity where you’ll need a quick supply of AA’s ready to use. Really, your budget is the only limiting factor in how often to use them, as long as you get enough l-tryptophan through diet.

The Grow bar is decent food that absorbs at a moderate rate. Use it like you would any other food, they’re mostly for convenience, not special training situations.

-Dan

Hi,

Given your three days of running and three days of lifting, I don’t think you’ll lose that much muscle at all. In fact, you might find that running can build powerful hamstrings and calves. Most of my quad and glute muscles are from different kinds of hill running including interval training. Thus, middle to short distance runners have strong legs. Use weights to build a solid upper body to help with form and endurance.
You can still have a muscular build as long as you lift heavy. You’ll find that this form of aerobics burns calories easily and leans you out quickly.

Anyways, enjoy your freedom of being outside and allowing your body to delight in the thrills of running. Do be careful when doing sprints because you have had a knee injury. Cycling will be an excellent cross training tool. Try rowing if you ever get the chance which is another sport that’s easier on the knees.

for a really killer sprint workout

Find a football pitch, jog around a few times to warm up

then sprint from one end to the other, jog back and repeat until failure