Running Windows on a Mac

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
Also, what I usually do is make sure I have the ethernet/chipset driver before I reload as once this is installed you can access the internet and download anything you need.

As a side-note, I’ve grown to absolutely HATE Vista - I had to reload my work machine today with XP 64bit because my Vista had become so slow it was almost unusable after only 8 months - and I never get any viruses.

Did you run across the problem where if you try to copy a file over 100MiB it seizes up Explorer and takes many, many hours to do so?

I honestly would have considered the switch, but it doesn’t play nice with my IDE controller, so that broke the deal. Otherwise it runs reasonably snappy on a modern machine.
[/quote]

Do you mean file size or over a 100mb LAN? Neither caused a problem and I often copy files over 4gb in size.

I setup a 1gb LAN at work, but never had problems prior (running x64 & x32 Vista, the other 4 machines on XP) to the upgrade from 100mb.

As for being quick, I work with graphics on a day to day basis so I have a foundation of software which I install once off and that’s it - no adding or removing and I keep my system relatively clean. It’s a 4gb, 2.4ghz Quadcore, 10k RPM HDD, 9800GTS GFX, 700w PSU - so not exactly an entry level system.

At first it ran like a dream and I was happy, but by last week (7 months from the install) it was almost unusable to the point where even the mouse was stuttering across the screen when using applications. I’m not impressed at all.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Do you mean file size or over a 100mb LAN? Neither caused a problem and I often copy files over 4gb in size.
[/quote]

No, I mean between drives in the same box or even from the same drive to itself. It’s not a real common problem, but if it crops up, it sucks pretty hardcore.

[quote]
As for being quick, I work with graphics on a day to day basis so I have a foundation of software which I install once off and that’s it - no adding or removing and I keep my system relatively clean. It’s a 4gb, 2.4ghz Quadcore, 10k RPM HDD, 9800GTS GFX, 700w PSU - so not exactly an entry level system.

At first it ran like a dream and I was happy, but by last week (7 months from the install) it was almost unusable to the point where even the mouse was stuttering across the screen when using applications. I’m not impressed at all.[/quote]

I haven’t heard of that happening before - not that I doubt you, just that it seems like that might be fairly rare. A quick Google search showed a LOT of people having problems with the 9800gtx in Vista, wouldn’t doubt that there might have been a driver update that goofed something up.

A friend of mine’s 8800GTX would randomly take a memory dump when using Vista x64, but nVidia seems to have figured Vista out by now for most cards.

It’s running fine on my folk’s entry level Dell system. Go figure. shrug

I’m using an old mac (OS X 3, 612 Mb RAM) and even though its slow, its still much better than windows.

Windows = Bosu Ball

Mac = Squats and Milk

[quote]Hadow Khan wrote:
I’m using an old mac (OS X 3, 612 Mb RAM) and even though its slow, its still much better than windows.

Windows = Bosu Ball

Mac = Squats and Milk[/quote]

Yes, because fanboism helps people get useful machines :confused:

If you want to go minimalist Damn Small Linux from a flash drive is a better choice these days.

For whatever reason, I have never seen Windows work as fast or as well as it does on my wife’s Ibook, which isn’t a particularly powerful machine.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
For whatever reason, I have never seen Windows work as fast or as well as it does on my wife’s Ibook, which isn’t a particularly powerful machine. [/quote]

Probably because it was a clean install without crapware.

Sacrilege!!!