Running Up to 1.5 Miles - Beginner

Definitely warmup by running at lower speeds and footwork.

Dynamic stretching
400m jog
Footwork drills (pick a handful based on your training, do them for short distances (5-20m).
A few warmup temp runs based on the day’s workout.

Post workout: Cool down and stretch.

When I run (which is mostly intervals on a treadmill), I use a 3-5 minute warmup I made up which has helped me immensely. Basically, one minute each at 3mph (walking), then 5, 6, 7, 8(or 9). Depending on which workout I am doing and what my max speed will be, I will warm up to close to that. I will also skip some of the speed steps a lot of times.

Easier to do that on a treadmill, since you can set the speed. But on the road/track, just start out walking for a set distance or time, then go a little faster, etc etc, gradually increasing speed until you are close to your planned running pace. Then stop, rest to full HR recovery (HR close to where you started - it will stay elevated for a while after, so get it back down in the low-100s), and then do your run.

Wanted to give an update on my 1.5 mile run…

Last few sessions on average 8.33 speed, clocking in at:

12:57
13:08
13:02
12:54
13:05
12:58
12:56 (this morning)

Gaining good consistent momentum… I can definitely push harder towards the end, but haven’t done so to avoid any meaningless injury. I am well within acceptable time for passing my exam. And I am slowly growing consistent under 13 min max to pass the academy period.

Very happy with my running and feeling less soreness or pains in my legs. I might have found a track to practice my sprints soon, so looking forward to that as well.

As humidity is coming down a bit here in FL, it definitely helps breathing lol. Makes you feel more refreshed as you run too.

You should always be able to speed up at least a tiny bit at the end otherwise you’re most likely actually slowing down. So training wise definitely so that you’re not over training.