T Nation

Running Technique Books?

Hi, I’m looking for some books on running technique. Anyone read any good ones worth reading? Thanks.
Looked at getting the pose running book, but I’ve read several bad reviews about his techniques which he is teaching.

Cheers.

Running is one of my interests and I’ve researched a lot about different “methods” of running. Three popular methods right now are the POSE method, Chi running, and Evolution running. Out of these three, I think Evolution running is the best because it makes the most sense to me, both biomechanically and in my own experience. Chi running’s basic principles are solid but he adds some mystical garbage that isn’t necessary. POSE overcomplicates things needlessly and often confuses running cues with what the muscles are actually doing. The POSE book is also repetitive and could be written in a less confusing manner.

Another book I’d consider a good buy would be Barefoot Running step by step. It has good practical advice. I think a lot of injuries could be avoided if people followed his advice on the importance of a soft landing.

A book I would buy if you were really into the biomechanics of running is Running: biomechanics and exercise physiology in practice. It is a textbook on running and has detailed but understandable explanations. It can be technical to non-medical people, but since you are a chiropractor, you should have no problem with it. I’ve come to disagree with some of the principles in the book, but overall it greatly increased my understanding of running and was worth buying despite the high price.

One book I would not recommend buying is Explosive Running. This one is a waste of time–while the biomechanical explanations are OK for the most part, the exercise suggestions to improve your form will actually mess it up.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
Running is one of my interests and I’ve researched a lot about different “methods” of running. Three popular methods right now are the POSE method, Chi running, and Evolution running. Out of these three, I think Evolution running is the best because it makes the most sense to me, both biomechanically and in my own experience. Chi running’s basic principles are solid but he adds some mystical garbage that isn’t necessary. POSE overcomplicates things needlessly and often confuses running cues with what the muscles are actually doing. The POSE book is also repetitive and could be written in a less confusing manner.

Another book I’d consider a good buy would be Barefoot Running step by step. It has good practical advice. I think a lot of injuries could be avoided if people followed his advice on the importance of a soft landing.

A book I would buy if you were really into the biomechanics of running is Running: biomechanics and exercise physiology in practice. It is a textbook on running and has detailed but understandable explanations. It can be technical to non-medical people, but since you are a chiropractor, you should have no problem with it. I’ve come to disagree with some of the principles in the book, but overall it greatly increased my understanding of running and was worth buying despite the high price.

One book I would not recommend buying is Explosive Running. This one is a waste of time–while the biomechanical explanations are OK for the most part, the exercise suggestions to improve your form will actually mess it up.[/quote]

Thanks for that smallmike, i knew someone would have already been researching this topic. I just didn’t want to read through loads of books with redundant theories about how to run.

Think I’ll get the biomechanics book, the evolution running book and I’ll look into the others as well. I’ve done plenty of running myself and I’ve found a style that works well for me anyways, my dad was also a rather knowledgeable running coach. I’m just looking at getting other peoples perspectives and breaking the technique down further to fully understand all the principles. Kind of like breaking the style right down, then building it right back together and then integrating it with other training methods to help with post injury training/rehab etc etc.

Definitely worth reading Born to Run. A ripping yarn as well as some good barefoot running technique stuff.