T Nation

Running Shoes

Its my girls birthday, and she’s an avid runner, but her feet have been giving her problems. Mainly, her toes are getting destroyed on the ends, she’s not sure if her current shoes are to big, or small. I’m gonna get her some, but I don’t have a clue what kind, or size, when we goto try them on, should they fit tight or loose?

Any suggestions to some good ones. For a reference, she runs somewhere around 8 miles daily. thanks for any advice, I have no idea what to look for, not a runner myself, lol

Hey Big, dirk here. I work with the Mammoth Track Club and Meb Keflezighi specifically (you tube us training, I am on the bike in orange : ) Anyway I have great insight and knowledge of how to fit and even TIE your shoes.

#1. Start by replacing the stock “footbed” with a black or possibly green SUPERFOOT. Accept no substitute.
These help maintain a neutral foot position within the shoe by supporting the foot in its anatomically
neutral position. Similar to your hand shape after you shake your hand out.

#2. A proper shoe will fit similar to a proper hand shake or well tailored custom GLOVE. You may have to try
MANY pairs to find the correct shoe. Be prepared to spend over an hour in this endeavor.

#3. Factors such as distance she is training for, type of terrain she is running on AND if she is a heel or forefoot striker along with her weight will all be taken (or should be) into account by the store you are supporting.

#4. this will sound stupid but HOW you tie your shoes can have a significan effect on how shoes not only fit but also perform. To properly tie your shoe, insert foot into the shoe and TIP the TOE up so it is at or above ankle level. This will allow the foot to slip ALL the way back into the heel cup. At this point start to tighten your laces from the toe area back towards your heeel. With this you will get a proper fit.

#5. Last point, 10K and longer distance runners tend to go with a shoe 1/2 size larger to account for foot swelling. But remember that this step MUST meet the first FOUR requirements.

I hope that this helps you and your girlfriend in being able to run pain and injury free. Sincerly killerDIRK.

Better option

Go to a running store, a real one. They will analyze the gait.

Bring her old running shoes with her. The wear marks are a great clue.

Pay more then $25.

then buy them at the runningwarehouse.com

most shoes are half the price as a running store…

good luck

[quote]JFG wrote:
Better option

Go to a running store, a real one. They will analyze the gait.

Bring her old running shoes with her. The wear marks are a great clue.
[/quote]

They have a great store in Dallas that does this, made a huge difference for me.

#5. Last point, 10K and longer distance runners tend to go with a shoe 1/2 size larger to account for foot swelling. But remember that this step MUST meet the first FOUR requirements.

[/quote]

Holy crap, I didnt know that. Last year I did my first marathon, and part way through my feet hurt so bad, I had to do the last half barefoot. I will take this into consideration for this year.

What do you guys think about reeboks or nike running shoes as an occasional runner/sprinting/training shoe?
For example the Nike free run or the lunarglide
Or the reebok RealFlex Transition or the Reebok realflex crossfit nano

Are they worth the money for what the ad says, or are they just a basic tennis shoe with the look of a “running shoe”

Don’t mean to hijak the thread, just didn’t want to create a new one for a similar topic.

Edit: Takes forever for my post to show so I created a second post.
The reebok Wall Season 2: ZigEncore looks decent for a mens running shoe. Running shoes are usually pretty ugly tho.

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
Edit: Takes forever for my post to show so I created a second post.
The reebok Wall Season 2: ZigEncore looks decent for a mens running shoe. Running shoes are usually pretty ugly tho.[/quote]

Thats a basketball shoe…

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
What do you guys think about reeboks or nike running shoes as an occasional runner/sprinting/training shoe?
For example the Nike free run or the lunarglide
Or the reebok RealFlex Transition or the Reebok realflex crossfit nano

Are they worth the money for what the ad says, or are they just a basic tennis shoe with the look of a “running shoe”

Don’t mean to hijak the thread, just didn’t want to create a new one for a similar topic.[/quote]

Get a RUNNING shoe, doesnt matter the brand. I wear Addidas because it fits my foot. My wife wears Asics.

The “free” shoes, well, do your research. I would never run in those, but my chiro has been using them for years,

Again, go to a running store to get your gait analyze and get a show for YOU.

STILL a big fan of Nike Frees

or any of the ‘back-to-basics’ type shoes that allow one to feel their natural arch, and when they’re pronating/supinating etc

Of course inserts/orthotics have their place for those that truly need them, but I bet the VAST MAJORITY of users would do better to simply re-learn proper foot mechanics (thru the use of Nike Frees & their competitors-type shoes)

The best pair of running I have ever had.

Serious.

Pretty much barefoot but with a £5 price tag.

[quote]BigDawg6593 wrote:
Its my girls birthday, and she’s an avid runner, but her feet have been giving her problems. Mainly, her toes are getting destroyed on the ends, she’s not sure if her current shoes are to big, or small. I’m gonna get her some, but I don’t have a clue what kind, or size, when we goto try them on, should they fit tight or loose?

Any suggestions to some good ones. For a reference, she runs somewhere around 8 miles daily. thanks for any advice, I have no idea what to look for, not a runner myself, lol[/quote]

Shoes are either too small or too loose. The toes are destroyed because her feet are sliding to the end of the shoe and hitting it. Often this can also occur if she’s running a lot of downhills.

I second the recommendation of going to a specialty running store. You’ll pay a premium but from the sound of it, it’ll be worth it for both of you.

for Mike T : the shoe you buy should be based on the factors that I listed above. There is a LOT of bullshit in the advertising of running shoes just as there is in nutritional supplements.

Do proper homework and IF possible get a visual done on your stride for proper pronation issues.

No thread highjack here. I am here to help with all shoe, boot fitting issues : )

I’ve been impressed with the Nike Lunar Glide series.