Running Shoes Suggestions

I have just began running to prepare for the police officers examination in a few months. I have never been a runner, only a lifter so my feet and shins are taking a pounding. Any suggestions on what type of running shoe to buy to help with shock absorption?

Check New Balance, they have some good choices…

Find a running store near you…you may shell out a li’l more, but it’ll be worth it…They’ll look at your feet and determine whether you overpronate, how you arches are, all that good running stuff…The running store I go to gives me a “Broke College Student” discount…hehe…But, yeah, some good brands are New Balance, adidas, Brooks, and Asics…

Here’s a good site to check out…
http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/1,5032,s6-52-0-0-0,00.html

My suggested brand for running is Saucony…When I used to run they were great. Now I only run when chased.

[quote]militarybrat wrote:
Find a running store near you…you may shell out a li’l more, but it’ll be worth it…They’ll look at your feet and determine whether you overpronate, how you arches are, all that good running stuff…The running store I go to gives me a “Broke College Student” discount…hehe…But, yeah, some good brands are New Balance, adidas, Brooks, and Asics…

Here’s a good site to check out…
http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/1,5032,s6-52-0-0-0,00.html

[/quote]

This is definitely the advice to follow. Most running specific shoe stores will do most anything to make sure you get a pair that really work for you. They will make you try on many different pairs and then take them for a little run to see how they feel and how they affect your form. Many stores will even sell you different size shoes if your feet have a large enough variance in size. And they’ll make sure to size you properly for the type of running you do, such as recommending a size larger for distance runners to accommodate foot swelling.

As for brands, New Balance tends to be good for stability (pronation correction), Mizuno is generally good for arch support, Saucony is all around good, and Asics are good with cushioning…but the pros at the running store will know best.

Yeah…I went to a store here in Michigan, got a pair that the guys recommended, and they worked great, exceot they were too small in the toe box…but it was funny, I went out to Colorado, and a store called “Boulder Running Company” (If you get out to the area, go there…there’s one in Denver and, duh, one in Boulder…hehe)…they taped me running on a treadmill to see how I ran, and recommended the same damn shoe, but with a wider toe box…hehe…I would highly suggest looking for a place that will watch how you run, and always take your old running shoes in with you, because that’ll let the guys know a li’l more about your style…

Do not walk into a Champs or a Foot Locker and expect the sales people to know an adidas Supernova (good shoe) from a New Balance 890…They’ll probably hand you a pair of Nike Shox and say your good to go!

As said above…go to a running shoe store not the sporting goods shop in the mall. They should measure both your feet and check your gait. Then recommend a series of shoes that address how your foot lands. Then you try each on and jog in the store to find out which feels best.

When I did thi sit cost me about $40 more than the pair of New Balance than I tried on at the sporting goods store. These sure feel better and my shin isn’t as sore. Now I need some miles on my legs.

p.s. good luck in prepping for your PFT.

Thanks for all the advice. I went to the New Balance store last night and bought a pair of the 99i. Just like you guys said they fitted my shoes for my size foot. They feel great. It is amazing how much better I felt when I ran this a.m. Thanks again.

Shoes aside, let an old distance runner give you another piece of advice: run on grass or dirt roads whenever possible. It is a lot easier on your shins than concrete and asphault.