T Nation

Running Shoes for Calf Developmet

whats everyone’s thought on wearing running shoes for calf raises? I see John Meadow wears them and he’s got tremendous calves besides his tree trunks. I’ve been wearing cross training shoes and am wondering if running shoes will be better.

Nike Frees w/o the inner soles allow me to get a pretty deep stretch on calve exercises. Extremely flexible.

[quote]myosaurus wrote:
whats everyone’s thought on wearing running shoes for calf raises? I see John Meadow wears them and he’s got tremendous calves besides his tree trunks. I’ve been wearing cross training shoes and am wondering if running shoes will be better.[/quote]

Uh, Myo… you have EXCELLENT calves. I don’t think the shoes are the secret.

:wink:

I think personally that barefoot is the best option as it allows for the natural mechanics of plantar flexion to occur.

barefoot…but youre fucking huge why the fuck would you carw what i say!

[quote]lowey20 wrote:
I think personally that barefoot is the best option as it allows for the natural mechanics of plantar flexion to occur.[/quote]

I agree. but I like going heavy on them and bare foot creates unnecessary pain in he balls of my foot. I like some cushion to prevent unwanted pain yet i want maximum range and not let my feet move inside the shoes.

dude, heck yes… don’t go barefoot as it can leave some of grip lacking, but if you get something like Vibrams, or New Balance Minimus, or my favorite Merrell Trail Gloves, your calf development will explode and so will your soreness.

edit: seriously the stretch and contraction (imo the activation of the foot muscles kind of travels up the chain to the calves) is so much more intense.

Just buy 2 or 3 gum rubber drum pads per foot. staple them together around edges and voila. barefoot with better grip and ROM then shoes without the pain

Also, even if you buy barefoot-esque shoes they will wear out fast from doing heavy calf raises. And you need a new $80 pair of shoes. I’ve had the same gum rubber pads for 3 years now.

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:
Also, even if you buy barefoot-esque shoes they will wear out fast from doing heavy calf raises. And you need a new $80 pair of shoes. I’ve had the same gum rubber pads for 3 years now.[/quote]
ime these shoes hold up quite well (especially my merrell trail gloves). they look sweet too

Dude,

If it is good enough for John Meadows, good enough for me.

I sport running shoes when I lift, and the only other time I change them is when squatting or deadlifting (which is a given).

Wouldn’t get caught up in it too much.

I still think your losing ROM even with a barefoot shoe. Getting to bone support on the top of the calf raise is key to handling heavier weights since you get a tiny little break. The calves get soft for a second when you put the load on bone support (try it and feel your calves) which allows fresh blood to gorge into the calves. Mentally you get a split second break before the next rep allowing you to compartmentalize each rep like its a set. Each rep is a set, every set is a series is a good thought to think while doing calves. Both of these factors are key to really cranking out high reps with high weight to achieve maximum growth.

This is why gum rubber is the way to go. Staple as many as you need together to get the proper padding. in 220 lbs and 3 for each foot work great for me

^^^^ Larry Scott advocated the gum rubber with specifically designed calf block(rounded top). wish all the calf machines came in with those.