Running Man Program

I have recently been starting to include some sprinting work on off days, and was reading your article Running Man.
Wondering how you would define the term ‘sprint’? Would I do the 400m sprints as fast as possible or leave a little in the tank for the next run?
Also for the IBUR what pace do you recommend? Even though I am relatively fit (beep test 12.3), I am pretty sure I would black out trying to do 100% pace for 60-70 seconds!
Appreciate your help!

[quote]NewZealander wrote:

I have recently been starting to include some sprinting work on off days, and was reading your article Running Man.
Wondering how you would define the term ‘sprint’? Would I do the 400m sprints as fast as possible or leave a little in the tank for the next run?
Also for the IBUR what pace do you recommend? Even though I am relatively fit (beep test 12.3), I am pretty sure I would black out trying to do 100% pace for 60-70 seconds!
Appreciate your help![/quote]

Dude, I wrote that article about 13 years ago. I would actually have to re-read it to be able to answer you!!!

400m are normally run at about 80-85%… best idea is to time yourself on one all-out sprint on the distance then shoot for a time that is 115-120% of your all out time. For example if you do it in 75 seconds shoot for 85-90 seconds. Even if you are off by a few seconds don’t worry.

For IBUR don’t worry about where you are starting it intensity-wise just strive to improve over time.

Thanks for your help!
Thought it was a new one! - was at the top of the articles page…