Running Intervals: How Much is Too Much?

[quote]CBear84 wrote:
im not soft bc im in love.

i do that kinda shit every once in awhile just to throw you assholes off track.

bitches. [/quote]

Awww, CBear’s got the googley woogley eyes goin’ on…

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:

Awww, CBear’s got the googley woogley eyes goin’ on…
[/quote]

only when im lookin at pegg. and then, only sometimes.

I still pick fights at my own volition.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Most of us here have found our passion in weight training. Theoretically, it’s impossible to excel at both endurance and strength gains at the same time. Doing too much of one comes at the detriment of the other. Many of us incorporate some cardio into our workouts, but just as a complement to our lifting.[/quote]

Ok, just a naive question: exactly how does that complement your lifting?

And yes, I did think to myself “why t h did I post this question here?” after the first replies. After some thinking I found out: my passion is weight lifting, and I wanted the opinion of weight lifters not runners.

And far back in my mind I still think girls who run are sissies and I don’t want their opinion.

[quote]CBear84 wrote:
its too much when you’re sore and tired and cranky and injured all the time.

endurance running will teach your body to use fat for fuel, and in turn, teach your body to store fat bc it knows it will use it later as fuel. [/quote]

That sucks.

[quote]CBear84 wrote:
intervals will shock your body into losing fat, and i’d say any more than 4x week for those is too much, but i’ll second nikki’s advice about doing bodyweight routines, or adding even slight weight to a combination of exercises (a complex) in an interval style.
[/quote]

Ok, so if running, run intervals not long distance. Regarding complexes, anyone got any tips for good compexes that require a minimum of equipment? I’ve already been using these:

Thanks for a lot of very helpful replies!

After reading this thread I went down to the local, ugly gym with lousy equipment, ugly guys and bad music and started doing my weight training again. I have lost a bunch of muscle since April and did, in spite of running five days, gain weight. Not in kilos I mean, but I don’t look as good as I used to do.

That sucks!

So I’m starting back on my routine to see if that helps. I’ve been pending between the stuff I read about cardio training being good for weight loss and the stuff that says the opposite. However, thinking seriously about the results I’ve been getting these last three months compared to the results from the last year of weight training, it pretty much settles the discussion.

I don’t think running is for sissies. I used to be an endurance athlete and race. But I didn’t get a high from it and I didn’t like being skinny.

Cardio that complements lifting is usually interval based. When I say “complements,” I suppose I’m referring to the fact that it doesn’t inhibit strength gains. I can’t speak for everyone, but if I do too much cardio, my 1 RM drops. I used to try to do it all: long weight training sessions 5x week plus cardio. Once I cut the duration and number of training sessions and limited serious cardio to once a week, my numbers really shot up.