Running: How to Train for Longer Distances?

Only thing I’d add is to be conscious of the surface you’re doing your longer runs on. When training for my first marathon I had a great fitness base from playing collegiate soccer and since I’d never had knee problems from running on grass I didn’t consider surface. But logging tons of miles on pavement is a different animal. The military guys above make some great points that are probably more applicable to your training, just figured I’d give you one MORE thing to think about haha.

Back,

I would say good luck with your goals, but it’s all based on a solid foundation of skills, luck is for the weak and faint-hearted. So here’s to your development of skills! Learn and learn well.

Any other questions concerning professional development, feel free to PM me.

Not for the weak and faint-hearted!
RTFU!

Beck, you could try something like this:

Since you already have the endurance for 2 miles, you can, naturally, continue from there - 2.5 miles easy every other day in the first week. In the second, do 3 miles easy every other day, alongside your existing sprints - alternating between the two. In the third week, you can move up to 4.5 miles easy, 3 times per week. In the forth, 5 miles easy, also 3 times per week. You can also include strength training in all the weeks. Don’t forget to alternate your run days with your rest days. You can also do some cross-training if you are up for it.

This way you will achieve your goal for sure.