T Nation

Running Hills

Yo buddies,

Today I bumped into a hill near my house and it said to me “run me little birdy”.
The hill is about 250 m long and has a steep incline with a bit of a slope in the middle.

How should I approach this hill? Who else runs hill? What benefits did you notice?

Im thinking running up the hill and walking down for as many reps as I can, and do this once a week.

nb: Im trying to improve my conditioning for the up-coming soccer season.

tweet

I use hills myself and with clients. I do both ,long hill runs as you seem to be doing. I would also do 50m hill sprints . Alternate the 2 workouts.

bear crawl down it

I would time my first sprint and compare it on a weekly basis. Hell, time all 5 sprints and then see if you can get a lower total every week.

Running hills is a great way to increase stride length and overall running speed (so long as the incline isn’t too ridiculous, else it would stop mimicking actual on-field running style). Running down hill often helps with stride frequency however the incline could be an issue as well. I say just have fun with it and enjoy the vicious lung burn. Rape that hill. RAPE IT!!!

When I was doing 5/3/1, I would run my 200ft, pretty steep hill, jog back down, and then rest :60. I’d do that like 20 times. I think Wendler says he went x40 on hill sprints with a minute rest, which was supposed to mimic a football game.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Yo buddies,

Today I bumped into a hill near my house and it said to me “run me little birdy”.
The hill is about 250 m long and has a steep incline with a bit of a slope in the middle.

How should I approach this hill? Who else runs hill? What benefits did you notice?

Im thinking running up the hill and walking down for as many reps as I can, and do this once a week.

nb: Im trying to improve my conditioning for the up-coming soccer season.

tweet[/quote]

Well… you run up the hill. Then you walk back down.

Then I’m pretty sure that you run back up it.

That being said, start easy and work up. Start by doing 8. After a week or two move up to 10. And so on.

One thing I can say - be careful, as you must with all sprinting. The combination of hill sprints and heavy squats led to a pretty serious lower back/hamstring injury for me, and it was the hill sprints that cause the initial problem.

Just my advice.

One of the best things I ever did to get in shape, but treadmill is so much easier, won’t do shit but it’s easy.

If I increase my running the first thing I do is cut out deadlifts. I used to have hamstring problems all the time, when i don’t do deadlifts and run I don’t have them. Not the same for Single leg stiff legged deadlift they actually helped a lot but I did very low weight and primarily trained ROM.

When I sprinted hills, .3 mile sprints 2.4 mile total walk and sprint every 10-14 days. Admittedly my conditioning sucked so I stopped half way for a break. The first week I went out, I paced run down hill. This works your quads, and prepares your knees for the next few weeks.

My leg strength increased seemingly double for sports. This is not a numbers thing so I don’t know if my squat increased at all, but boxing out in basketball, jumping, pushing people I was much stronger to the point everybody noticed. It took about a month for me but maybe if you do it more frequently it will happen faster.

The wagon wheel is brutal.

run up one side, jog down the other, hit the bottom run up to the to top

take a left, jog down hit the bottom run up etc.

4-8 spokes in the wheel no walking.

Try to maintain good technique running up the hill, it will be much more beneficial in the long run. The temptation is to end up with slow shuffly steps which won’t do much to increase your leg strength.

Ok…

The hill I run is about 200m long, and takes me 50 seconds to reach the top, and then 2’10 to walk back down. I run this hill 2 times a week after I have lifted.
So in 3 weeks I have worked up to 15 reps of hill runs. When I started I could just manage 10.

So, Im wondering should I just keep working up and go for 20 reps, or is there any other method of progressing???

This hill is the longest and steepest in the neighbourhood, so finding a steeper hill is out for the moment.

tweet

Basically, you can increase the number of reps, decrease the rest (run down the hill, don’t walk) or increase the resistance by increasing the load. Will wearing a weight vest or carrying a bag of sand help you achieve your goals?

if i were you, i would do soccer (football) specific training…

hows your soccer going anyway??

everyone of your posts is about something other than soccer.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Basically, you can increase the number of reps, decrease the rest (run down the hill, don’t walk) or increase the resistance by increasing the load. Will wearing a weight vest or carrying a bag of sand help you achieve your goals?[/quote]
I dont want to run down the hill, as the hill is steep and Im concerned about the impact. My goals are to increase my conditioning levels for soccer.

[quote]spk wrote:
if i were you, i would do soccer (football) specific training…
hows your soccer going anyway??
everyone of your posts is about something other than soccer.[/quote]
Hey buddy,
Soccer is going well. About 6 weeks out from the season. Im training 2-3 times a week with the team and practicing skills once a week by myself. Im still cycling 2-3 times a week for some low impact cardio and lifting weights twice a week using the 5/3/1 system.
I suppose I would discuss soccer more on here if it was a soccer website, but I come to T-Nation to learn about strength and conditioning.
Most of your posts are about something other than cycling… so what are you doing here??

tweet

After a nice dynamic stretch & warm up, i like to go balls-out sprinting up that shit. It’s really ez to over-do it though. When i’m kinda tired i’ll aim for 15 seconds of all out burst & rest for 45 seconds before repeating until i reach the top. When i’m feeling stronger i’ll increase the sprint & recovery time by whatever i can reasonably handle. But i NEVER do as much volume as i think i can handle. I lift heavy 4x week so my goal is to use hill sprints as conditioning for building capacity. The muscular burn is a plus but it’s more about nervous system shock & hormonal response. You don’t need a ton of extreme work to get there & i’ve remain injury free. Since they are so intense I use them fairly infrequently (1x or 2x every couple of weeks). Try walking or jogging up that biatch BACKWARDS for a variation that will kick your ass into next week.

If your training for maximum speed stick to 15 reps, if that, I would actually shorten that and work on going faster. If your training for continuous strength throughout a match go for 20. As with weights though more isn’t always better. 15 200meter sprints is pretty intense if your going all out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Even though it is only 200m the hill is steep, and the run is not so much a sprint, but more of a paced controlled run.

tweet