T Nation

Running Barrel Under Hot Water?

Hey guys,

I’ve read in a few threads that heating up the gear by running the barrel under hot tap water before pinning = smoother injection.

I was just wondering about how hygienic this is…Wouldn’t some water get into the barrel? It couldn’t be 100% water proof, right? So you end up injecting tap water (and how sterile can that be?)

[quote]GGlife wrote:
Hey guys,

I’ve read in a few threads that heating up the gear by running the barrel under hot tap water before pinning = smoother injection.

I was just wondering about how hygienic this is…Wouldn’t some water get into the barrel? It couldn’t be 100% water proof, right? So you end up injecting tap water (and how sterile can that be?)[/quote]

I drop the capped syringe complete with needle of course into a glass of hot tap water and leave it there for several minutes prior to injecting. Dry off the syringe before uncapping and you’re good to go. Make sure water level is not higher than top of barrel. Works for me…

you could just steralize the needle with a little rubbing alcohol then shoot it up if your that concerned about it.

none is going to “leak” into the barrel itself unless you have really really poorly made syringes in which case your in trouble anyways due to loss of sterility.

Why not get a bowl/cup of hot water put the whole amp/vial in there for a few minutes? Works like a charm non of this ‘holding it under the faucet’ crap, making the barrel all wet with tap water, etc… or just fill your sink clean sink up with some hot water sit the amp/vial in there… and let it sit for a few minutes.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
you could just steralize the needle with a little rubbing alcohol then shoot it up if your that concerned about it.

none is going to “leak” into the barrel itself unless you have really really poorly made syringes in which case your in trouble anyways due to loss of sterility. [/quote]

Apparently rubbing alcohol does not sterilize anything. It would be much safer, I think, to change the needle completely.

Thanks for the replies guys

I run mine under hot water for a few mins then just change the pin

nothing is going to get in there to contaminate the oil.

or you can do what some do and wrap it in a heating pad for a while too.

but yes warm oil is much eaiser to work with

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Westclock wrote:

none is going to “leak” into the barrel itself unless you have really really poorly made syringes in which case your in trouble anyways due to loss of sterility.

Apparently rubbing alcohol does not sterilize anything. It would be much safer, I think, to change the needle completely. [/quote]

Ok if you want to be technical rubbing alcohol will only disinfect, not sterilize.

You could flame sterilize the needle, but thats alot of trouble.

easiest method of steralization is always to just change the needle.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Westclock wrote:

Apparently rubbing alcohol does not sterilize anything. It would be much safer, I think, to change the needle completely.

Ok if you want to be technical rubbing alcohol will only disinfect, not sterilize.

You could flame sterilize the needle, but thats alot of trouble.

easiest method of steralization is always to just change the needle.[/quote]

they are so cheap anyways and a new one is sharper and sometimes they are way sharper and much more comfortable, theres no reason why you should not change them.

Why would you sterilize the needle and take a (relatively) big risk, while for a few bucks more you could buy completely new sterile needles?

Heating pad on high for 5 minutes, let cool 30 secs, good to go. Works beautifully for me, it’s tried and true so I don’t see any reason to change it.

And yes good God by all means just switch needles no flames, no alcohol, save yourself the risk. New needle = clean needle