Running Back Workout, Suggetions?

Monday

Agility ladder//Dynamic running drills
Barbell Shrugs-4/x8
Bench Press( Heavy)-8/x3
DB Floor Press-5/x5
Deadlifts-5/x5
Low Back Raises-4/x…10,12,15,20.(Holding 45 plate)
Seated Rows-4/x8
Skull Crushers
Shoulders//Bi’s

Tuesday

Box Squats-8/x3
Speed Squats-3/x8
Step Ups- 4/x4
Hip Plates- 4/x10
Kettleball swings( 4/x 10,12,15,20)-HEAVY!!!

Ab/Core Circuit-decline med ball sit ups, knee raises, hanging leg raises, crunches, sit ups, swiss ball sit ups, 1 minute planks on both obliques and front stomach. Do 12 each set ( except for planks) NO REST…and when Im done with the planks…That was ONE set.

I try to do 3 sets.

Wednesday- OFF

Thursday

Agility Ladder//Dynamic Running Drills
Power Clean 8/x3
Incline Bench-8/x3
Chin Ups- 4/x8
DB Shrugs-4/x12
Swiss Ball DB Press- 5/x5
Shoulders//Biceps

Friday

Box Jumps with DB’s- 4/x4
Good Mornings-4/x8
Split-Squats-8/x4
Hip Plates-SAME.
Girl Free throws-SAME.
Depth Jumps with med ball-4/x4
Ab Circuit-SAME.

Saturday-Nothing.

I used to do Cleans and stuff on this day…but I rather get the needed rest.)

Sunday-Nothing.

I tried to put this in my 225 reps thread but I didnt see it on here???..anyway…thx for the help guys…I live in Michigan so its too snowy outside to do my speed work.

Who designed this routine, you or your coach?

Im no expert but it looks as though there is an excessive amount of lower body work.

If you count the deadlifts on Monday and the power cleans on Thursday there are 4 days that include intense lower body work.

What are you current stats for squat, bench, vert, SLJ, 40 yard dash etc.

Your workout is just that man, a workout. You need somewhat of a longer term plan… I suggest you look into Eric Cressey’s Ultimate Athlete Manual (he writes for this site). Or, take a peak at some of Defranco’s articles on this site as well. As a rb you’ll want to be durable as well as fast and strong, so you ll need to compliment those big, heavy lifts, with a lot of little things for the shoulders, knees, ankles etc.

Good luck,

Pat

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:

Im no expert but it looks as though there is an excessive amount of lower body work.

If you count the deadlifts on Monday and the power cleans on Thursday there are 4 days that include intense lower body work.

What are you current stats for squat, bench, vert, SLJ, 40 yard dash etc.[/quote]

I havent back squat in a while so I dont know but I’ll test it out soon.

I didnt max out on my box squats either but last time I lifted I was I got up to 405 for 2 reps.

My max bench is about 245lbs…I was with out a membership 4 seven months up until january and this im where Im at…

My vertical was 36 inches.

My 40 yard dash is timed in the 4.4’s consistently…my problem has never been with speed…or explosiveness…I ran sprints and played football…so the speed has always been there…Its just been with my upper body…as far getting my bench up…all my other lifts always go up…I just needed help getting bench to the next level.

I dont know what SLJ is.

[quote]Tags wrote:
Your workout is just that man, a workout. You need somewhat of a longer term plan… I suggest you look into Eric Cressey’s Ultimate Athlete Manual (he writes for this site). Or, take a peak at some of Defranco’s articles on this site as well. As a rb you’ll want to be durable as well as fast and strong, so you ll need to compliment those big, heavy lifts, with a lot of little things for the shoulders, knees, ankles etc.

Good luck,

Pat[/quote]

I toook somethings from mainly DeFranco and Kelly Baggett to make that workout.

What are you current stats for squat, bench, vert, SLJ, 40 yard dash etc.[/quote]

I usaully do deads with my upper body even though they get the lower as well…I feel it more in my back.

The cleans I barely ever do…I hurt my wrist not to long agao and powe cleaning doesnt help.

Okay so I took out the Push downs…the t- bar rows…Farmers Walk( hard to do in gym)…and I lowered the reps on some of my exercises.

I also took the advice of that one guy and I put my deadlifts on low body day…and I’ll just do cleans and snatches on saturdays.

I really disagree with this. I’ve gotten to the point of squatting AND deadlifting/GMing 5 times a week. It doesn’t happen all the time, but it has before and it will again in a couple months. 3-4 days including lower body work of some kind is to be expected for such a hard sport. You’ve got to be conditioned to intensity at some level.

Now it may turn out that it is too much, but I wouldn’t jump at 4 with lower body work right away as being excessive.

See if you can fit farmer’s walks in at some point later on in your training. I think they’re really useful from a conditioning and whole body approach. I mean they don’t have to stay in there all the time, but they should make appearances from time to time.

I used to get a really sore back from deads, right in my lats, is that what is happening to you? If that is the case more pullups should help. If you are looking to improve your bench build up your triceps and look into a powerlifting style bench press.
westside for skinny bastards at defrancotraining.com

I like your workout NFL…If I played running back I would have faith that it would get the job done and then some. I like how you mix it up with step ups, agility ladder, kettleball, etc. One thing though remember stretch vigurously and work-out your neck as well.

[quote]triple-10sets wrote:
I like your workout NFL…If I played running back I would have faith that it would get the job done and then some. I like how you mix it up with step ups, agility ladder, kettleball, etc. One thing though remember stretch vigurously and work-out your neck as well. [/quote]

Thank you.

Great routine. Where you play at?

[quote]AssClown wrote:
Great routine. Where you play at?[/quote]

I had some eligibility issues that wont allow me to play D1 right now…so Im looking at D2 and D3 schools then I plan on transfering to D1.

I disagree about there being too much lower body work! Oly lifters train their legs up to 6x’s/week…some euro lifters might even do up to 12!

I know that the running has to be considered, but I play football and lift and honestly, total leg training days per week is usually 5. Between, ME and DE lower stuff…prowler…sprints…agilities.

Now, I will say that you have to BUILD your work capacity to this level. Add slow. But, as anyone who can played or plays football will tell you, your legs better be capable of handling a ton of work.

[quote]NFLBound wrote:
AssClown wrote:

I had some eligibility issues that wont allow me to play D1 right now…so Im looking at D2 and D3 schools then I plan on transfering to D1.[/quote]

Why not a JUCO? Graduate in two years and you don’t have to sit out a year. They’ve got some school up around the great lakes.

[quote]AssClown wrote:
NFLBound wrote:
AssClown wrote:

I had some eligibility issues that wont allow me to play D1 right now…so Im looking at D2 and D3 schools then I plan on transfering to D1.

Why not a JUCO? Graduate in two years and you don’t have to sit out a year. They’ve got some school up around the great lakes.[/quote]

Thats the thing I spent the last two years at a CC with no team…and I called the NCAA…and I have 3 years left…on my five year clock because I didnt play football.

I did however do LOADS of training as far lifting…football drills…etc.

I was all set to transfer D1 but I dont have enough credits to play right away next season…If I go to D2 or D3 I can play right away.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
I disagree about there being too much lower body work! Oly lifters train their legs up to 6x’s/week…some euro lifters might even do up to 12!

I know that the running has to be considered, but I play football and lift and honestly, total leg training days per week is usually 5. Between, ME and DE lower stuff…prowler…sprints…agilities.

Now, I will say that you have to BUILD your work capacity to this level. Add slow. But, as anyone who can played or plays football will tell you, your legs better be capable of handling a ton of work.[/quote]

Yeah I agree…LEGS…Hips hamstrings …low back…glutes…must be worked out alot.

Im not a bodybuilder ya know.

If you haven’t seen this, check it out:

http://assets.houstontexans.com/assets/fanzone/Texans_Manual.pdf

It is the Texans S&C manual. I would ignore most of what they say about nutrition(no more than 15% of calories from protein?), but they have some good conditioning stuff in there, such as specific conditioning and agility drills by position.

I have to agree with some of the other guys, you can probably get away with that amount of leg work right now, but once you get back into your speed and sprint conditioning work, you may want to cut back a little on what you are doing. It all comes down to recovery, and you may be able to recover better than other people with that type of schedule. But definitely listen to your body and adjust accordingly. I would also look into some good regeneration techniques for 1-2 of your off days. Foam roll, tennis ball, stretching, hot tub, etc. can go a long way in keeping you healthy and helping you tolerate the workload.