T Nation

Running and Strength Loss

Just to clarify, I am a powerlifter who used to be a long distance runner.

I am currently bench only due to my facilities limitations. I am 35 years old, 5’5, weigh 208 and bench 315 raw.
Five years ago, I was benching 225@165 and able to run a 21:11 5K.

I was wondering if I tried to start running again (using this plan called the couch-to-5K) would I be able to maintain my strength.
It would be great to drop to 165 and still be able to bench 315 although I know that may not be a realistic expectation.

Are there any other bench-only guys out there who are runners as well?
Thanks.

If you’re bench-only I wouldn’t worry about it. When I started running again my squat dropped like a brick, but my bench was fine. Unless you are running on your hands, I would say it would have minimal impact at best. It might even help by improving your cardiovascular fitness and recovery time.

Best of luck!

[quote]abebesheir wrote:
Just to clarify, I am a powerlifter who used to be a long distance runner.

I am currently bench only due to my facilities limitations. I am 35 years old, 5’5, weigh 208 and bench 315 raw.
Five years ago, I was benching 225@165 and able to run a 21:11 5K.

I was wondering if I tried to start running again (using this plan called the couch-to-5K) would I be able to maintain my strength.
It would be great to drop to 165 and still be able to bench 315 although I know that may not be a realistic expectation.

Are there any other bench-only guys out there who are runners as well?
Thanks.[/quote]

I think you can definitely maintain your strength while running, as long as you’re not on a marathon schedule or something insane. I started running abou six months ago, do about 10-12 miles a week, and has not really hurt my strength.

But dropping 40+ pounds? That will kill your bench. I lost ten due to illness a couple months ago and my bench is still not all the way back.