Running and Powerlifting...Help!

On the useful side:

I find that running in the AM and then doing deads or squats in the PM works for me. We run on Tue, Thur, and Sat. Therefore I do leg work on Tue and Thur, which gives me a full day off (for my legs) on Wed and Friday. Our Sat run is usually sprints and or in gear. I really watch my volume to make sure that I can stay in the top of the company. At 36 that is a matter of pride.

Once you adjust it should not be much of an issue.

I agree,

I run 3 days a week and powerlift hasnt effected me at all.

I also second looking up Matt at elitefts.com, great resourse for you.

You should get stronger not weaker. 2-3 mile runs are not hard. I’m not in the military so I can’t tell you how much other stuff is wearing you out, but a 3 mile run at a moderate pace is 30 minutes, which is what alot of people recommend as general fitness cardio.

The hard part is body size. If your legs are thick from squatting get read for some thigh burn, at least my thighs.

I’ve been in both the Army and the Navy and sometimes it’s just mind-boggling what the services think/teach about PT. They would be better off teaching people how to lift and eat in boot camp than rolling around on the ground and doing flutter-kicks. I got scolded once in the Army for taking some of my people to the gym in the early afternoon. It was better to sit around doing nothing because somebody important might stop by. And working out would make us look…um…unmotivated?

Back on topic - the mileage is low enough that you should be ok. Wonder if they’d be open to doing some intervals?

thanks for all the good words of advice ya’ll, Monday I tried to squat. I am on my 10th week of an 11 week cycle and was at around 95%, this was also my first week of running. I failed, hard…Im sure its due to this being the first wek of running in a while. The runs are not hard by any means and I feel in good condition while running. I think my bodies just gotta get used to it…no shit right. I had to back it off to around 75-80% before I could get any good sets in…and they were doubles!!!

[quote]Valor wrote:
bearcat1485 wrote:
Valor wrote:
Mind over matter…

Which for a jar head could be a problem…

Go ARMY.
Beat Navy.

lol…hard for a jar head? haha we do twice as much as you all with your hand me down broke as equipment. seriously though I heard that there is a powerlifting MOS (Job Specialty) in the army as well as car racing and shit like that. Is this true? if so, Im tranferring services

Never seen that myself. I know soldiers do get time off if they join the army boxing team… I’m sure there are other teams as well.

I’ve served side by side with Marines and no way do you do twice as much. We do, in general, have better gear.

The main differance between the two services is that Marines really do (for the most part) think and act like warriors while only the combat arms in the army do the same.

Way too many pussies in the military, period.
[/quote]

I agree, I Was just bustin your balls, we all have the same goal right? The only reason jarines (new word) are like that is because the beat that “kill em all” dumbass mentallity into everyone, including cooks. they want robots not human beings with common sense that might think “man, thats a fucked up order”…lol

back to lifting…I also havent been able to sleep for shit, Im not sure if it is the extra workouts or what? also, as I have not Pt’d with this unit I was unsure of what to expect. They are doing long slow interval runs? They will run at a steady pace, stoping every half mile or so do bullshit flutterkicks, lunges, or some other retarded exercise they make up on the spot.

As far as military PT, I have tried talk with those that run our PT sesions and am now working on a letter I am going to send up my chain of command. I tried talking to them about the fact that we now have another test called the CFT that involves sprints, fireman carries, weighted ammo can carries and alot of other events that are more combat related and are more tests of strength and speed…they still insist that long runs are the best way to condition for this. I am using our powerlifting team as an example for my “letter” all of us havent PT’d with our units in forever but have some of the highest Physical Fitness Tests scores of our respective units, we have all also scored a perfect score on the new CFT…idiots I ran into one of the gentleman that is in charge of PT for our unit in the gym while the team was in the middle of a heavy deadlift day, he came over with a puzzled look and said “what the hell is that?”. damn

You have to understand that Army ( I cannot speak of the other branches) PT is based on having limited equipment. Old ideas have been drilled into the older soldiers…

That said the Army is moving ( too slowly for me) to a new style of PT. Still the Army needs to have a much more modern approach… Pre-hap, mobilization, strength-power…

I’d love to scrap the PT test and turn it into a 10 or 12 event obstacle course…

Honestly man, 2-3 miles really isn’t that much (of course, if you’re carrying a lot of weight it can certainly be pretty ridiculous).

Considering the pft is 3 miles, you’re lucky you’re not running 5 miles to train!

2 ideas.

1. Set up your schedule so you run on your upper body days and have lower body days off

or

1. Set up your heavy days on off days of running.

Is your PT always at the same time? If it is in the afternoon, hit the gym earlier in the day. If you read up on Elite, guys like Jim Wendler have been doing his “light” cardio on upper body days and the heavy prowler and all that on lower body. Either way, I think you will survive. There are plenty of big strong fucks who did not die from running. Just eat your heart out…

[quote]bearcat1485 wrote:
Valor wrote:
Mind over matter…

Which for a jar head could be a problem…

Go ARMY.
Beat Navy.

lol…hard for a jar head? haha we do twice as much as you all with your hand me down broke as equipment. seriously though I heard that there is a powerlifting MOS (Job Specialty) in the army as well as car racing and shit like that. Is this true? if so, Im tranferring services[/quote]

My dad used to lift with a guy that was on the army’s powerlifting team. This was back in the 80’s though, so not sure if it still exists.

i used to run a shit tom for wrestlig last year, and i still got huge… well i got bigger lol. just remember to stretch so you dont pull a hamstring when running after deadlifting, that sucks!

I hope I get stationed at Pendleton or some other base with a PLing team after OCS. On the topic, I have been running 4 times a week as well as lifting. I would highly recommend the 5/3/1 program. Allows good recovery times and works with sub-max weights. Even with the running, I make steady gains.