Running and Lifting

Here’s the deal. I’ve been training for the past year. I’m currently in the middle of Waterbury’s TBT. My question is what would be the best way to improve my cardio. I play lacrosse and to make the team I need to be able to run 2 miles in about 13 min.

The problem I have is on the off days between lifting is that I am slightly sore and I don’t know if running distance (1-3 miles jogging) or doing HIIT would interfere with my recovery.

I’m currently 6’ 165lb with fairly low BF%. Tryouts are in Feb. so I have plenty of time. I havent ran recently but I would guess i could do 2 miles in about 16min.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Back off the weights a bit and up the running slowly. Get used to the new stimulus and slowly increase each as needed to reach your goals. If running goes UP a considerable amount weights will go down and vise versa

Phill

Anyone? Would it be best to focus one week on HIIT with 3 sessions and 1 weight session and then the next week you have 3 weight sessions and 1 HIIT session?

I don’t know much about running, I think you can safely train upper/lower split and run 2-3 times a week. 2 miles in 13 minutes is not that fast, and since you are not overweight, so I think just running intensively 2-3 miles 2-3 times a week will get you there by Feb. Just don’t run the day after leg day (and maybe before).

HIIT is CNS intensive and will affect your training. I agree with skor that you can do straight running 2-3 times a week without any negative effects. Just start at a relaxed pace and slowly increase the speed.

Stu

Another question.

For my goals of running 2 miles in 13min, would hiit be more effective or would running about 3 miles be better? Or a combination of both?

Thanks.

Since you have a very specific goal, look up specific running programs. You have to run at least 2 miles in training at least once a week if you train for 2 miles. I’d say two 1.5-3 mile runs + one HIIT session (with 200,400,800 sprints) plus 2-3 day of lifting will get you there. Just start running - you have plenty of time to adjust your program.

Honestly for this I’d say get down the 2 miles in 13 minutes. Only lift enough to keep what you have right now and get the running time down. Then incorporate light cardio to keep up that time and increase the weight lifting. Trying to get stronger and doing HIIT running is going to overload your legs most likely.

Thanks guys. Skrussian, thats sort of what I was thinking. I might just cut down to lifting full body 1 day a week or an upper/lower split 2 days/week and just try to maintain my strength.

You should never run and lift. That is not effective and it is dangerous. Always stand in one place and lift. That’s safer.

Just kidding. Introduce it slowly and add some more carbs to your diet to spare the muscle.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
You should never run and lift. That is not effective and it is dangerous. Always stand in one place and lift. That’s safer.

Just kidding. Introduce it slowly and add some more carbs to your diet to spare the muscle.[/quote]

And protein :slight_smile: