Running Again

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Cool, vroom!

Consider running on grass. Also consider running hill sprints rather than short track sprints.

The wise people who run faster than I do tell me that these are good ways to avoid injury and lay the groundwork for good conditioning and speed.[/quote]

Running on grass works, it is also a harder workout from a cardio point of view as you can’t run as efficiently because of the softer surface, sort of a lesser effect than running in sand. I have a bad right knee and have found that I can do sprints on grass quite effectively with no side effects. The few times I have tried doing hill sprints on a road I noticed an immediate difference, so I’ll be limiting my hard surface running to slow jogs.

Try CT’s Interval Build Up Running described in his Running Man article. It’s a good way to build up to running harder intervals as you have to treat the whole 15 minutes more like a long distance run and the “sprints” end up up being more like a fast jog at the end of the session, so it is not too stressful on the body.

Cheers,

Ben

How was your warm up? I have found it really pays to warm up thoroughly, then do it again because you still probably do it too quickly. I now build up gradually. Walk, trot, some dynamic stretches / kicks, jog, 1-2 second accelerations, etc., more jogging, walking, kicking, flexing (but not static stretching) - anything to better prepare myself for the 400m sprints I like to do. It has helped me get back into it (but I still struggle from time to time).

Good luck!

WiZ

[quote]vroom wrote:
When I was younger, I always thought that I was a terrible runner. I’d get shin splints, stitches and was generally slow as well.

Now that I’m older, heavier and perhaps wiser, I’m thinking of adding some type of running back into my routine. I need something for non-lifting days and this is cheap and convenient. So, last night, for the first time in ten years or more, I ran a bit – some 400m “sprints”, which I am paying for today.

Anyway, I’m looking for tips from other more seasoned folks about easing back into running and avoiding shin splints, knee problems and so on. I’m thinking maybe I should stick to lower distances and doing HIIT style work?[/quote]

Hey All:

These are just my views from an older jar head. Never really got into running in high school, was always a kind of sprinter type of kid. Distance running was out of the question. After school came the Marine Corps and the force fed the 3 mile run for the P.T. tests. Oug, Glad the test was only like twice a year. I started smoking and well 30 years later I quit. Been done with smoking for almost 2 years now.

January, 2 years ago I needed to start my program, clean up the inside a bit I guess was my goal then. Started walking around the block. Walk for a bit and run. I hooked up with Runners World on line and subscribe to the Mag now. Tons of good info. Bought my first pair of fitted running shoes this past summer and what a difference. Started out slow walk and run. Increase the distance ever so slightly and bam your running distance before you know it.

Now I run and lift run and lift. Take Sundays off or at least one day a weeks depending on my lifting schd. My running is dependent on my lifting, most times the day after. I get involved in about 3 or 4, 5 K races during the summer, 3.1 miles. Not to race but just to get the T-shirt that comes with the run. My times are very slow, ususally about 10 minute miles but I’m running. And I kind of miss it when I don’t get it in anymore. Go figure. I don’t have any desire to run long or a marathon nothing like that. I have ran up to 10 miles, just to say that I have.

Take it slow, read and asked questions. I got one of those MP3 players with a good pair of head phones. Rock & Roll is great for running tunes. Get a watch and time your runs and keep a log. Just for the hell of it. Try and get a partner it helps to pass the time.

Good Luck

Semper Fi

vroom, heed this advice well if you’re going to run at your age : buy good running shoes and throw them away after you get 1,000 miles or so on them. I can’t think of how many times I have had older friends have joint/back problems that go away when they throw out their existing running shoes and buy new. Also, supplement the stock insoles with an additional gel insole for even more shock absorbtion. Sometimes this entails buying your shoes a little larger to allow the extra insole to fit. It’s worth it. I have gel insoles in all of my dress shoes, work boots and, especially, my weightlifting shoes. I have to jump up my shoe size by 1/2 USA sizing charts to make this work. Man, is my footwear comfortable now. My joints thank me every day.

I realise that I am not “seasoned” (hell, I didn’t think you were that old!), so I suppose I shouldn’t really be replying, as I’m perhaps not really offering what you asked for, but here it is anyway…

Running is great, but I’d say to try and work up to running for a reason: join a football (touch, flag, whatever) or ultimate frisbee team. Running gets very enjoyable if you are chasing after something.

When I’ve been home this summer, I’ve been trying to play football once or twice a week in the park. Most of the guys who play play barefoot (myself included), and it feels great (heh, okay, I do punting and kicking duties, and that doesn’t always feel too good).

Your competition doesn’t even have to be that strong; I can run circles around some of the guys, but it is still stupidly fun.

Of course, I’m one of those guys who has had their pair of court shoes for about 5 years, goops 'em together so the soles don’t fall off, and sometimes runs in his Chuck Taylors; perhaps I am not one that you want to listen to about anything running.

But still dude, once you get back into running, try playing football, frisbee, or soccer. Join a rec team, and you’ll never look back.

-FC

I agree with Ross. Hill sprints are the way to go. 30-50 yards up and walk down. I want to get serious in the masters’s 200 meters next year, but I don’t intend to train like a runner. I have this new exercise, where I rack 225 on my shoulders and try to walk as far out and back with it. Seems to help with the hill sprints.

Once a month or so, I go for a 5-mile run, because that is what I used to do. It is still there, just want to avoid all the constant injuries.

Well, this may be a can of worms, but I would pay very close attention to your running technique. In particular, for the sweet love of little baby Jesus, do not jam your heel into the ground as you move forward. It is 1) inefficient and 2) damaging to your body. Instead, try to land on the ball of your foot and use your calf as a shock absorber. Same deal with your knees. Keep them bent and “bouncy”.

The question of “heel strike” versus “fore strike” seems to evoke rivalries of the Republi-Democrat type, so I won’t argue much. I’ll just say that after 4 years of Fall-Spring soccer (with lots of running) then 4 years off then 3 years of jogging with a heel strike – in those 3 years of jogging, I developed horrible shin splints, knee pain, and back pains. I took another 3 years off of running until now. I’ve resumed running, and by using a “legs as shock absorbers” approach, my calves, quads, and hips have been sore as hell, but my joints are doing just fine, thank you! Also, my wife who could never really run, has been able to with this type of technique … for her, she equated it to marching in the band in high school. Finally, a relative who is an Army Ranger expressed surprise that we would run any way besides on the forefoot.

A good site for technique is here: http://www.runningbarefoot.org/?name=HowRunBarefootOtherwise . You may be scared by the “barefoot” parts, but you can safely ignore those if you choose.

Regards,
Mark

i think you’re getting some good info, vroom - though i would take issue with the “walking being as effective/beneficial as running” camp. it’s not. and it can’t be for one reason alone - intensity.

that being said, one of the things that helped me get my running legs back (after a long layoff) was walking with an x-vest or weighted backpack. i had a great 3 mile hilly trail i use to hit with 25 - 35 pounds in my pack which helped crank up the intensity quite a bit.

how taxing this may ultimately be on your joints is debatable - given the choice of high impact activity at bodyweight (running) or low impact activity (walking) with added weight. i’d give both approaches a shot, or work the weighted walking into your program and see how your body responds.

I spent years running 5K in less than 17 minutes and my best merarthon was 2:55:08. Here is my advice: If you run fast at the 400 meter distance more than once a week you’ll probably end up with the shin splints and/or the knee pain you’re trying to avoid. If you sprint about 40/50 yards twice a week for 3-5 reps and go 400 meters, once week, for about three reps you’ll probably be okay. Running fast regularly is an exercise very few can tolerate. Start very easy and build very slowly. Good luck. jim

To avoid shin splints you sould also put some tibialis anterior (the muscle just lateral to your tibia) work into your program. You can add toe raises and/or heel walks into your weight training days or do them after you run.

With all this great advice, how’s your running going, vroom?

[quote]JPBear wrote:
harris447 wrote:
Is someone chasing you? No? Then, stop running.

Nothing mkes a man look more undignified than running. Real men mosey. Maybe they amble. Occasionally, they stumble.

Never run when you can walk, never walk when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down.

This post totaly reminds me of P.J. O’Rourke. Have you ever read his stuff? [/quote]

PJ O’Rourke kicks ass.

[quote]Tomfu wrote:
i think you’re getting some good info, vroom - though i would take issue with the “walking being as effective/beneficial as running” camp. it’s not. and it can’t be for one reason alone - intensity.[/quote]

…just to stir things up, check out this cool website: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/050121.html

BTW, I’m not a zealot, just someone who had to find alternate forms of cardio for aerobic conditioning to avoid swollen, painful knees. The sled is my favorite and I use jump rope and burpees for intensity, but it’s pretty hard to sustain an elevated heart rate for 45 minutes with those.

If you’re thinking about buying a pair of running shoes I would invest in the Nike barefoot runners. I bought a pair and they are awesome. Extremely flexible, extremely light, and they seem to be quite water resistant. They also come with a couple of pairs of insoles.

Also change up the scenery. I was surprised at how much faster and farther I could go after I got off the track and started running the roads. Run through parks and wooded areas if possible. It’s very refreshing not only for the body but for the mind to see trees and a constantly changing environment after a day at the office. (Or the job site.)

Look at all the great advice in here!

It has been a few weeks, so I thought I’d put up a bit of an update.

Obviously, I’m not following all the advice exactly to the letter, but I do have new shoes.

I have noticed my right knee is a bit sensitive to this idea. It isn’t pain, but if I do any sort of running more than once a week, I can feel my knee when I bend my leg.

I’m back on strictly taking glucosamine to see if this will stop happening.

The distance I run is pretty minimal still. However, there is some progress, when I run I don’t get sore all over and feel like crap the rest of the evening any more. In particular, my lower back was getting more than it could handle for the first few tries.

Now I just huff and puff but don’t really feel that much the next day at all.

I am still doing 400m “sprints”, walking half a lap, then repeating. I do about 3 of these before crapping out. Yesterday I added an extra half lap though.

Tomorrow if I feel good I’ll do about three or four laps of relaxed jogging and see what that does to my knee, if anything.

FYI, I’m about 215 lbs these days, about 30 or more pounds above what I used to consider a reasonable running weight ten or fifteen years ago.

I really do want to use running sprints as a form of HIIT if I can… I know I’m not going to be much of a distance runner at this weight.

Thanks again for all the great advice, I’ll have to give everything a reread and see what else I should be paying more attention to!

Hello there,

It sounds like you want to get into running a bit but not make it a major part of your exercise programme. Have you considered the Hash House Harriers? I did it for over 20 years and found it a very good form of social non-competitive running, distance between 5-10 km, available enywhere in the world. The beer at the end makes it a lousy weight-loss exercise but for general moderate cardio, it gives a gret lift.

Let me add another vote for hills sprints. I’m 260# and 50 yrs old, and my joints do not care for pounding either. There’s a nice little hill 1/2 mile from my house. Brisk walk, hill sprints, cool down home. NO POUNDING whatsoever. (except in my chest)

• Cheers