Running a Triathlon, Need Help

i’m going to start training for a triathlon on august 10. i’ll be training for 8 weeks. my question is, the training routine i found calls for training for that 5 days a week. Would it be good to throw in upper body days on my off days? I’ve got good recovery, and am considering doing a ME day and a repitition day for my upper body on the off days. would that be too much? would i be better off working on the triathlon, and then after the triathlon’s over going on a strength cycle, followed by a hypertrophy cycle, or working just to maintain my upper body?

any help would be advised. I think bartl did a triathlon, while doing thibs routine but from my understanding his recovery capabilities are really good.

“would i be better off working on the triathlon, and then after the triathlon’s over going on a strength cycle, followed by a hypertrophy cycle”

Yes. I don’t care whether you do the strength or hypertrophy cycle first … but if you are running a triathlon then make that your top priority. Don’t forget that Bartl is not a beginning and his CNS is probably much more powerful (and thus, faster to recover) than yours. I was a triathlete … trust me when I say, focus on the events. Lifting is supplementary to that training, especially with only 8 weeks to go.

Not to be insulting, but do you even know how to swim? I am a decent swimmer yet I beat 90% of the people I swam against … and those same people caught up to me on the bike and run. So, learn to swim correctly :slight_smile:

I can swim, i’ve just never trained in it. and i’m not a beginner. i’ve got about 4 yrs of training under my belt. I’m just wanting to try something challenging and new. thanks for the input!

OK good. 4 years of training should make you a damn near pro. Took Arnold 5 years, after all. Make sure you start training in swimming more intensely, especially because its not something you are accustomed to. If your run and bike are solid, make swimming 60% of your training effort, with running and swimming at 20% each.

Make sure to do bricks.
This means train events back to back.
For example one day you can swim, and when you get out of the water, within 10 minutes you should be on your bike.

Or bike and right when you get off, go for a long jog.

Good luck.