Running a Marathon with Muscle Mass?

[quote]Therizza wrote:
god bless you for doing this. you couldn’t make me run more than like 5 miles at a time.

buy some legit running shoes too. my 2 cents.[/quote]
This and some logical thinking will keep shin splits away.

Kick some ass.

i wasnt saying its impossible, you can build your cardio up relatively easily

last year while cutting, i started out just doing a couple miles a day… but a couple weeks later i was doing 5-6 miles with more ease that i was doing 2 when i started

how much time do you have to train before the marathon??

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Great responses everyone, thanks.

My only major concern are injuries, especially knee ones. 42000 strides (approx) at 240 lbs works out to be, umm, well I’ve always sucked at physics but probably a lot of force on the knee and ankle joints I imagine. Did any of you have to deal with any injuries while training? Any advice on prevention?

(EDIT: Just noticed that the book “Born to Run” is pretty much all about injury prevention, LOL)[/quote]

My knees will get sore from very heavy mileage, but not too frequently. Aside from good shoes, the best advice I can give is simply to run quietly. Don’t let you foot slap, especially on the downhill. So listen for cues like that, and pay attention to what form modifications feel good, and what hurts.

[quote]bigquig wrote:

My only major concern are injuries, especially knee ones. 42000 strides (approx) at 240 lbs works out to be, umm, well I’ve always sucked at physics but probably a lot of force on the knee and ankle joints I imagine. Did any of you have to deal with any injuries while training? Any advice on prevention?

(EDIT: Just noticed that the book “Born to Run” is pretty much all about injury prevention, LOL)[/quote]

My knees will get sore from very heavy mileage, but not too frequently. Aside from good shoes, the best advice I can give is simply to run quietly. Don’t let you foot slap, especially on the downhill. So listen for cues like that, and pay attention to what form modifications feel good, and what hurts.
[/quote]

Really…“good running shoes” are the flat soled type…causes you to run better and properly. Check out “Pose” running…also the latest science shows standard running shoes be bad:

[quote]mmllcc wrote:

[quote]bigquig wrote:

[/quote]

Really…“good running shoes” are the flat soled type…causes you to run better and properly. Check out “Pose” running…also the latest science shows standard running shoes be bad:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100104122310.htm[/quote]

I have to disagree with you here. “Good running shoes” are which ever shoes complement your running style best. If you overpronate you are going to need a certain arch height. Go to a running shoe store, they usually have experts that can watch you walk or run barefoot and tell you whether you need high archs or flat soles. This is a solid way to avoid injury.

“Pose” running is kind of gimmicky in the running world (an analogue would be crossfit). It is supposed to take less effort and avoid injury, but infact it is very difficult to learn how to do and can cause a whole different range of injuries.

When it comes to running shoes, go to a Runner’s only specialty store and get someone to watch you run barefoot, bring in an old pair of running shoes for them to look at how they wore, then they should watch you run in the new pair of shoes. Try plenty of different pairs of shoes, when you find a couple pairs you like wear one model shoe on one foot and the other model on the other foot so you can get a better “feel” for whatever running shoe you think fits properly.

Trust me don’t do the research yourself, I thought I needed one type of shoes and ended up getting shin splints that developed into stress fractures.

PS The shoes will cost retail but the service of the running shop will be priceless in terms of staying healthy and injury free. Once you know the model that works for you order them off the internet or on ebay to save a little money.

The poster recommending running flats is a fucking idiot!!! At 240lbs and putting in distance runs it’s not a matter of if you fuck yourself up, it’s a matter of when!!!

everyone here is right for the most part. ive done half marathons at 210 lb and 245lb. both in season rugby. i hurt like a mofo the next day when i was at 245. i also ran cross country at 190lb.

at 240 you can do it. dont expect an amazing time but youll be able to complete it.

but you need to make sure youre really in the required cardio condition to do it. especially a full marathon at high altitude. At the La Jolla half marathon in SD, theres a handful of runners every year that go into cardiac arrest becuase its a pretty difficult half marathon, bout half of it is uphill. lotta parts are very steep as well. so heart condition is somthing you should def look after since you seem to be starting from a very low point in distance running.

[quote]deanvoyer09 wrote:
If you do cardio regularly you might have a shot, but whether the weight is muscle or fat, you’re still placing a pretty heavy burden on your heart, good luck.[/quote]

If he was 240lb of fat and skin he’d be jigglin’ all over the place and die of leg-chaffe.

I give him good odds, if bigger muscle store more glycogen…

goodluck to the OP.

Sec

[quote]BSrunner wrote:

[quote]mmllcc wrote:

[quote]bigquig wrote:

[/quote]

I have to disagree with you here. “Good running shoes” are which ever shoes complement your running style best. If you overpronate you are going to need a certain arch height. Go to a running shoe store, they usually have experts that can watch you walk or run barefoot and tell you whether you need high archs or flat soles. This is a solid way to avoid injury.

“Pose” running is kind of gimmicky in the running world (an analogue would be crossfit). It is supposed to take less effort and avoid injury, but infact it is very difficult to learn how to do and can cause a whole different range of injuries. [/quote]

This is B.S. I have seen and been to the experts at these running stores. They don’t know sh1t. The only know how to tell you B.S. advice coupled with lame attempts to sell even more expensive shoes. SCIENCE shows that the best shoes are flat soled…they force you to run as you would bare foot - which is the best way period. Pose is not gimmicky…it, and other running styles just like it, are based upon sound advice and years of experience by runners that have run further than you or I…injury free; I quoted one study in my comment. There are MANY others.

[quote]Steveo989 wrote:
When it comes to running shoes, go to a Runner’s only specialty store and get someone to watch you run barefoot, bring in an old pair of running shoes for them to look at how they wore, then they should watch you run in the new pair of shoes. Try plenty of different pairs of shoes, when you find a couple pairs you like wear one model shoe on one foot and the other model on the other foot so you can get a better “feel” for whatever running shoe you think fits properly.

Trust me don’t do the research yourself, I thought I needed one type of shoes and ended up getting shin splints that developed into stress fractures.

PS The shoes will cost retail but the service of the running shop will be priceless in terms of staying healthy and injury free. Once you know the model that works for you order them off the internet or on ebay to save a little money.

The poster recommending running flats is a fucking idiot!!! At 240lbs and putting in distance runs it’s not a matter of if you fuck yourself up, it’s a matter of when!!! [/quote]

Your problems could have been avoided had you ramped up slowly and allowed you body to adapt to the different running style. Of course if you had never properly developed those muscles, tendons and bones (through years of wrong running) you would need time to develop what essentially would be an underdeveloped or atrophied support structure for your frame.

So you either do it right and take your time…or you continue running wrong and your knees will suffer in the future.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:

[quote]BSrunner wrote:

[quote]mmllcc wrote:

[quote]bigquig wrote:

[/quote]

“Pose” running is kind of gimmicky in the running world (an analogue would be crossfit). It is supposed to take less effort and avoid injury, but infact it is very difficult to learn how to do and can cause a whole different range of injuries. [/quote]

This is B.S. I have seen and been to the experts at these running stores. They don’t know sh1t. The only know how to tell you B.S. advice coupled with lame attempts to sell even more expensive shoes. SCIENCE shows that the best shoes are flat soled…they force you to run as you would bare foot - which is the best way period. Pose is not gimmicky…it, and other running styles just like it, are based upon sound advice and years of experience by runners that have run further than you or I…injury free; I quoted one study in my comment. There are MANY others.[/quote]

I ran 100 miles straight…injury free, and there’s no way in hell I’d wear anything for that that didn’t resemble a tank on my foot. I understand your reasoning, and I’d consider advocating barefooting for a new runner (I wear five-fingers for all but my trail running now), but this is a larger guy, who is going to be running into uncharted waters. Form will begin to deteriorate, and wearing shoes lacking in the proper support and cushioning is foolish for him.

I think Pose is a gimmick. It’s a way of running that works for some but not all. I don’t advocate trying to get someone to run a specific form, because it varies for person based on fitness level and body type.

[quote]bigquig wrote:

[quote]mmllcc wrote:

[quote]BSrunner wrote:

[quote]mmllcc wrote:

[quote]bigquig wrote:

[/quote]

This is B.S. I have seen and been to the experts at these running stores. They don’t know sh1t. The only know how to tell you B.S. advice coupled with lame attempts to sell even more expensive shoes. SCIENCE shows that the best shoes are flat soled…they force you to run as you would bare foot - which is the best way period. Pose is not gimmicky…it, and other running styles just like it, are based upon sound advice and years of experience by runners that have run further than you or I…injury free; I quoted one study in my comment. There are MANY others.[/quote]

I ran 100 miles straight…injury free, and there’s no way in hell I’d wear anything for that that didn’t resemble a tank on my foot. I understand your reasoning, and I’d consider advocating barefooting for a new runner (I wear five-fingers for all but my trail running now), but this is a larger guy, who is going to be running into uncharted waters. Form will begin to deteriorate, and wearing shoes lacking in the proper support and cushioning is foolish for him.

I think Pose is a gimmick. It’s a way of running that works for some but not all. I don’t advocate trying to get someone to run a specific form, because it varies for person based on fitness level and body type.
[/quote]

So you say it is a gimmick and then in the same breath say it isn’t (“…because it varies for person…”? Whatever. Pose it not the only program out there. Main point is that most people were never taught to run properly and so run improperly and then buy shoes to make it “feel better” but end up damaging their knees in the long run…so says science - not just me.

It’s a gimmick in that it “poses” as a be all, end all for everyone. I got good form by trying to remain comfortable on my long and tempo runs. I run with five-fingers, all the time, so I don’t disagree with it’s ideas, but I disagree with the presumption that a universal form will work for everyone.

This is a heavy guy who will be setting a distance “PR” on most of his long runs, and therefore will get tired and break form, requiring some good cushioning.

What races have you run using POSE technique and flats? I’m not being a dick, I’m just curious to know how well it’s worked for you.

Daryl Haley, former U. Utah & N.E. Patriots and on the “larger human” side, has completed at least a couple Ironman Hawaii events, which include a full marathon (according to the brochure). Haley weighs in at over 300 pounds in trimmed down ultra endurance mode.

Age group(non-competitive) marathoners, triathletes, come in all shapes and sizes. Elites tend to be light.

http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/0397/9703fedarryl.html

Link to Darryl Haley’s feat. Very impressive.

I’ve done a couple myself, both triathlon and marathon. At 5’11" 195 I’m not huge but I give away as much as 50 lbs to a lot of the guys I train and train with.

There are plenty of variables but you’re really training a different energy system and “finding” efficiencies where ever you can.

Try climbing a steep hill on a bike with twenty pounds on your upper body then climb the same hill without it. Upper body muscle, as just one variable, doesn’t much lend itself to climbing efficiency.

My own review of the “literature” on running shoes and experience with specialty stores treadmill gate analysis (and even familiarity with Pace technique going way back to the `70’s) leads me to say… read Arthur Lydiard if you are serious about running. Like wise be prepared for some trial and error with shoes.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:

[quote]Steveo989 wrote:

The poster recommending running flats is a fucking idiot!!! At 240lbs and putting in distance runs it’s not a matter of if you fuck yourself up, it’s a matter of when!!! [/quote]

Your problems could have been avoided had you ramped up slowly and allowed you body to adapt to the different running style. Of course if you had never properly developed those muscles, tendons and bones (through years of wrong running) you would need time to develop what essentially would be an underdeveloped or atrophied support structure for your frame.

So you either do it right and take your time…or you continue running wrong and your knees will suffer in the future.[/quote]

I have nothing wrong with my knees and I have no pain what so ever from running any longer regardless of distance. Haven’t gone past 50k but I would feel safe going higher. I use a midfoot strike and have never had issues with it and proper shoes. I have run the same way with running flats and have done fine although I would feel iffy at anything over 4 miles in them if I was a beginner I wouldn’t put more than 2 miles in running flats and if I weighed 240lbs I wouldn’t mess with them at any distance over a mile.

Quality running shoes are made to absorb shock, flats do in fact resemble running barefoot but how many miles would you feel safe barefoot on concrete or asphalt?

6’3" and 265 pounds when ran 2008 Ironman. Was not in top but completed it, which is what my goal was.

Bought some awesome shoes for overpronators of heavier body weight:

I’ve run about 10k in them so far and they’re incredible. The amount of cushioning and support they provide make my old shoes seem like roofing shingles strapped to my feet.

Flat shoes are great if you have great running form and extremely balanced legs. You are a heavy beginner, like I was. Trust me, you do not have good running form. As far as balanced tendons, ligaments, and muscles of the lower body, I wouldn’t hold my breath. It will not happen by accident.

Go with support, based on what a running store clerk tells you. You are the final judge on any and all shoes. Put 3-10 miles on a pair of shoes and decide whether or not you like them. The local stores here will offer a different shoe if you don’t feel great after 5 miles. Whatever you do, just don’t pick out your shoes all by yourself.