T Nation

Rumsfeld: We Need Another Terrorist Attack

DELONG: Politically, what are the challenges because you’re not going to have a lot of sympathetic ears up there until it [a terror attack] happens.

RUMSFELD: That’s what I was just going to say. This President’s pretty much a victim of success. We haven’t had an attack in five years. The perception of the threat is so low in this society that it’s not surprising that the behavior pattern reflects a low threat assessment. The same thing’s in Europe, there’s a low threat perception.

The correction for that, I suppose, is an attack. And when that happens, then everyone gets energized for another [inaudible] and it’s a shame we don’t have the maturity to recognize the seriousness of the threats…the lethality, the carnage, that can be imposed on our society is so real and so present and so serious that you’d think we’d be able to understand it, but as a society, the longer you get away from 9/11, the less…the less…

Click here for the audio clip.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/may2008/051608_rumsfeld_tape.htm

Yeah, I know…its PP. But it sounds genuine in the audio.

You don’t need a police state or a perpetual war in order to take threats seriously… do you?

[quote]vroom wrote:
You don’t need a police state or a perpetual war in order to take threats seriously… do you?[/quote]

Well, his point is that the support for the war agenda would be ‘perked up’ if we had another terrorist incident. Whether he actually wants this to happen would be a good subject for debate.

War IS the traditional method by which rulers convince their subjects to support the rulers, since loss in war is considered worse.

Well, before 9/11, our last major terrorist attack occurred in 1812. They don’t seem to be very frequent…

I like your new avatar, HH.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
vroom wrote:
You don’t need a police state or a perpetual war in order to take threats seriously… do you?

Well, his point is that the support for the war agenda would be ‘perked up’ if we had another terrorist incident. Whether he actually wants this to happen would be a good subject for debate.

War IS the traditional method by which rulers convince their subjects to support the rulers, since loss in war is considered worse.

[/quote]

Very astute of you. Another terrorist attack during the election would be awfully convenient. Though you may care enough to realize this kind of trick, I have my doubts that being informed at this state and level really doesn’t to much power to influence otherwise. So it seems that you would know what cards their holding, so what would you do about it?

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Well, before 9/11, our last major terrorist attack occurred in 1812. They don’t seem to be very frequent…

I like your new avatar, HH.[/quote]

I don´t.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
vroom wrote:

Very astute of you. Another terrorist attack during the election would be awfully convenient. Though you may care enough to realize this kind of trick, I have my doubts that being informed at this state and level really doesn’t to much power to influence otherwise. So it seems that you would know what cards their holding, so what would you do about it?[/quote]

In Spain, the attack 4 days prior to election led to the US-friendly gov’t being tossed out. I’m not sure how it would play out here.

[quote]orion wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

I like your new avatar, HH.

I don´t.
[/quote]

Why not?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
In Spain, the attack 4 days prior to election led to the US-friendly gov’t being tossed out. [/quote]

Just to make sure you understand, over 90% of Spaniards were against the war of Iraq. And Aznar and his minions kept blaming the attacks on ETA even after overwhelming evidence pointed down the Islamists’ route.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
BluePfaltz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
vroom wrote:

Very astute of you. Another terrorist attack during the election would be awfully convenient. Though you may care enough to realize this kind of trick, I have my doubts that being informed at this state and level really doesn’t to much power to influence otherwise. So it seems that you would know what cards their holding, so what would you do about it?

In Spain, the attack 4 days prior to election led to the US-friendly gov’t being tossed out. I’m not sure how it would play out here.

[/quote]

It wouldn’t be a far cry to say that partisan leaders would be stuck between a rock and a hard place to vote on some very critical addendum’s that would arise along the lines of "Should we give the Commander in Chief more despotic control and immunity or Should it be every state for itself (like back in the good ol’ Dixie days).

I can already hear the criticism against that last one… But consider that red state/blue state aren’t going to want to have too much to do with each other when the battle lines are drawn. If that seems too much like Sci-Fi to you, tell me the North American Union and the Amero among the Trans-Texas Corridor and the like are just conspiracy theory…Then we’ll really know which side you’re on.

The question has to be: why haven’t there been any more major terrorist attacks? Our borders are porous and cargo ships come in pretty much uninspected. Hell, one of us could probably bomb some big building in a city easily.

Surely its not the competence of the Bush Administration?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
The question has to be: why haven’t there been any more major terrorist attacks? Our borders are porous and cargo ships come in pretty much uninspected. Hell, one of us could probably bomb some big building in a city easily.

Surely its not the competence of the Bush Administration?[/quote]

I think you are trying to get us to argue your point for you…

The next step is to point out that your citizens are much more easily accessible overseas at this time.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Surely its not the competence of the Bush Administration?

I think you are trying to get us to argue your point for you…

The next step is to point out that your citizens are much more easily accessible overseas at this time.[/quote]

Great post.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
The question has to be: why haven’t there been any more major terrorist attacks? Our borders are porous and cargo ships come in pretty much uninspected. Hell, one of us could probably bomb some big building in a city easily. [/quote]

Say what you will, but I doubt Al-Qaeda has attempted many major terrorist attacks on US soil lately. They made their point, and that was the purpose. Killing people was just a mean to an end.

Gotta give it credit though for getting way more Americans killed than 9/11. It takes real talent to deceive a whole country and get them to vote for you again.

Our gas prices are the highest they have ever been. Health care is the most unfordable and cost rising business in the country. The economy is the worst its been since the depression, which we are fearing another. Housing prices have skyrocketed as the market is as volatile as it has ever been. The media has never been filled with more brain sterilizing crap as it is this decade as education and test scores in math, science, and reading are at a national average the lowest they have ever been.

Social security will soon be bankrupt and the tax code ensues our great grandchildren will struggle worse then us to grow old healthy and just plain retire. Our Jobs are mostly overseas, our labor is mostly imported, and our towns safety are the most unsafe as they have ever been during the past few years. There have been no people to blame, no-one to point the finger to claim responsibility. No one to hold accountable.

There is now a pill for you and your kid’s problems and a station to take your mind off of things. No-one would dare say these conditions we live in are criminal, in fact we have come to accept them. No Al-Qaeda did this to us. No man in a cave miles and miles away made this for us. If you ask me, the terrorists are already here and they already have won.

[quote]vroom wrote:
You don’t need a police state or a perpetual war in order to take threats seriously… do you?[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Our gas prices are the highest they have ever been. Health care is the most unfordable and cost rising business in the country. The economy is the worst its been since the depression, which we are fearing another. Housing prices have skyrocketed as the market is as volatile as it has ever been.

The media has never been filled with more brain sterilizing crap as it is this decade as education and test scores in math, science, and reading are at a national average the lowest they have ever been.

Social security will soon be bankrupt and the tax code ensues our great grandchildren will struggle worse then us to grow old healthy and just plain retire. Our Jobs are mostly overseas, our labor is mostly imported, and our towns safety are the most unsafe as they have ever been during the past few years. There have been no people to blame, no-one to point the finger to claim responsibility.

No one to hold accountable. There is now a pill for you and your kid’s problems and a station to take your mind off of things. No-one would dare say these conditions we live in are criminal, in fact we have come to accept them. No Al-Qaeda did this to us. No man in a cave miles and miles away made this for us. If you ask me, the terrorists are already here and they already have won.

[/quote]

Altruism. Our people thought that it was practical to install a government that practiced altruism (aka cannibalism). Creating a government that plunders one group for the benefit of another simply winds up making EVERYONE miserable, as you detail above…

The Founding Fathers thought of the United States as humanity’s second chance. (The Republic of Rome was our first.) Guess we’ll need a third one, hopefully one that understands that altruism is evil incarnate.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
In Spain, the attack 4 days prior to election led to the US-friendly gov’t being tossed out.

Just to make sure you understand, over 90% of Spaniards were against the war of Iraq. And Aznar and his minions kept blaming the attacks on ETA even after overwhelming evidence pointed down the Islamists’ route.[/quote]

Probably more politically advantageous to point to ETA than to Islamic extremists.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
BluePfaltz wrote:
Our gas prices are the highest they have ever been. Health care is the most unfordable and cost rising business in the country. The economy is the worst its been since the depression, which we are fearing another. Housing prices have skyrocketed as the market is as volatile as it has ever been. The media has never been filled with more brain sterilizing crap as it is this decade as education and test scores in math, science, and reading are at a national average the lowest they have ever been. Social security will soon be bankrupt and the tax code ensues our great grandchildren will struggle worse then us to grow old healthy and just plain retire. Our Jobs are mostly overseas, our labor is mostly imported, and our towns safety are the most unsafe as they have ever been during the past few years. There have been no people to blame, no-one to point the finger to claim responsibility. No one to hold accountable. There is now a pill for you and your kid’s problems and a station to take your mind off of things. No-one would dare say these conditions we live in are criminal, in fact we have come to accept them. No Al-Qaeda did this to us. No man in a cave miles and miles away made this for us. If you ask me, the terrorists are already here and they already have won.

Altruism. Our people thought that it was practical to install a government that practiced altruism (aka cannibalism). Creating a government that plunders one group for the benefit of another simply winds up making EVERYONE miserable, as you detail above…

The Founding Fathers thought of the United States as humanity’s second chance. (The Republic of Rome was our first.) Guess we’ll need a third one, hopefully one that understands that altruism is evil incarnate.

[/quote]

do you know what the word ‘altruism’ means? perhaps you should look it up.

[quote]stokedporcupine wrote:
do you know what the word ‘altruism’ means? perhaps you should look it up. [/quote]

Great! Now we’ll have to listen to one more installment of HH’s trademark Rand rants.