T Nation

Rumsfeld and Saddam

PGA:

The most frustrating part of our Foreign Policy has ALWAYS been the often overused (and often false) idea that “The enemy of our enemy is our friend”.

Often more times than not, “The enemy of our enemy is also OUR enemy”…and remains so.

At that time, we would have been the lap dog and given our very Souls to anyone who fought, or appeared to fight 1) Iran and 2) the USSR.

We’re STILL paying for it.

Mufasa

So? Remember what was happening back in 1983? Iran was our greatest enemy. Iraq was at war with Iran. We supported Iraq. We also trained Bin Laden to fight the Soviet Union back in the 80’s as well.

Are you turning into some flaming liberal conspiracy theorist or something?

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
PGA:

The most frustrating part of our Foreign Policy has ALWAYS been the often overused (and often false) idea that “The enemy of our enemy is our friend”.

Often more times than not, “The enemy of our enemy is also OUR enemy”…and remains so.

At that time, we would have been the lap dog and given our very Souls to anyone who fought, or appeared to fight 1) Iran and 2) the USSR.

We’re STILL paying for it.

Mufasa[/quote]

That’s the way it works, my friend. Would you have prefered we fight Iran or USSR directly? Saddam was not the evil dictator yet in Iraq. He was at the time considered a friend to America. Saddam changed.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
So? Remember what was happening back in 1983? Iran was our greatest enemy. Iraq was at war with Iran. We supported Iraq. We also trained Bin Laden to fight the Soviet Union back in the 80’s as well.

Are you turning into some flaming liberal conspiracy theorist or something? [/quote]

[quote]PGJ wrote:
So? Remember what was happening back in 1983? Iran was our greatest enemy. Iraq was at war with Iran. We supported Iraq. We also trained Bin Laden to fight the Soviet Union back in the 80’s as well.

Are you turning into some flaming liberal conspiracy theorist or something? [/quote]

Keep slippery sloping it man. You’re good with that. All I did was post a video and you’re labeling me and running with it. Good job! Keep it up. LOL

Ok, seriously - today’s date is January 17th, 2007. That meeting has been proffered as the brainless ‘evidence’ by legions of dumb, uninformed numbskulls since the year 2000 as ‘proof’ of all manner of evil things.

Been done, is done, been redone and reheated, and re-explained, and then over again at least twice more, and is probably the most often posted picture on all political forums, T-Nation and beyond.

[quote]PGA wrote:
PGJ wrote:
So? Remember what was happening back in 1983? Iran was our greatest enemy. Iraq was at war with Iran. We supported Iraq. We also trained Bin Laden to fight the Soviet Union back in the 80’s as well.

Are you turning into some flaming liberal conspiracy theorist or something?

PGJ wrote:
So? Remember what was happening back in 1983? Iran was our greatest enemy. Iraq was at war with Iran. We supported Iraq. We also trained Bin Laden to fight the Soviet Union back in the 80’s as well.

Are you turning into some flaming liberal conspiracy theorist or something?

Keep slippery sloping it man. You’re good with that. All I did was post a video and you’re labeling me and running with it. Good job! Keep it up. LOL[/quote]

Don’t try to pull the “I’m not saying…” deal. This video is old and has been posted before. You posted it again for a specific purpose. What slippery slope?

I suppose you know something about running a country, world politics, and national defense. Sometimes you have to deal with people you don’t like or turn out to really bad. What is going on with you lately?

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
PGA:

The most frustrating part of our Foreign Policy has ALWAYS been the often overused (and often false) idea that “The enemy of our enemy is our friend”.

Often more times than not, “The enemy of our enemy is also OUR enemy”…and remains so.[/quote]

Unfortunately, foreign policy decisions don’t have the luxury of having tidy lines drawn in your utopia. We allied with Stalin’s Russia to defeat Hitler, and then Stalin’s Russia became our Cold War enemy for decades. Was that a bad idea then?

[quote]At that time, we would have been the lap dog and given our very Souls to anyone who fought, or appeared to fight 1) Iran and 2) the USSR.

We’re STILL paying for it.[/quote]

Same in WWII for anyone that would fight the Nazis. Choices regarding war and peace are often not between something good and something bad - which is easy and would be preferred by everyone - but rather the choices are most often between something bad and something worse. If the choices were as easy as you prefer, anyone could be a great leader - just pick the obvious choice of “Good”.

But it doesn’t work that way. The real world screws up such fantasies. Those make for hard decisions with difficult trade-offs. What would you do if you knew the Russian totalitarian regime was trying to penetrate the Gulf to control the world’s oil reserves but you also were trying to avoid turning the Cold War into a Hot Nuclear War?

[quote]PGJ wrote:

Don’t try to pull the “I’m not saying…” deal. This video is old and has been posted before. You posted it again for a specific purpose. What slippery slope? [/quote]

Yes, this video/picture is not a new find. I could find it on T-Nation’s search function is less than 15 seconds.

So what is the point in posting it? I assume there is one?

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Don’t try to pull the “I’m not saying…” deal. This video is old and has been posted before. You posted it again for a specific purpose. What slippery slope?

I suppose you know something about running a country, world politics, and national defense. Sometimes you have to deal with people you don’t like or turn out to really bad. What is going on with you lately?

[/quote]

HAHAHAHA! You’re a psycho. I’ve never seen the video and found it funny, hence I posted it first in the Get a Life forum. Slip and slide man, slip and slide…

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Yes, this video/picture is not a new find. I could find it on T-Nation’s search function is less than 15 seconds.

So what is the point in posting it? I assume there is one?[/quote]

Searched “Rumsfeld Saddam” and “Rumsfeld Saddam Video” and nothing came up.

[quote]PGA wrote:

I’ve never seen the video and found it funny, hence I posted it first in the Get a Life forum. [/quote]

You have never seen that? Seriously?

You should consider looking up the falling of the Berlin Wall (it fell, btw), OJ’s not guilty verdict, and the whole Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky affair. You live in exciting times.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
PGA wrote:

I’ve never seen the video and found it funny, hence I posted it first in the Get a Life forum.

You have never seen that? Seriously?

You should consider looking up the falling of the Berlin Wall (it fell, btw), OJ’s not guilty verdict, and the whole Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky affair. You live in exciting times.[/quote]

shrugs shoulders

[quote]PGA wrote:

Searched “Rumsfeld Saddam” and “Rumsfeld Saddam Video” and nothing came up.[/quote]

Then search “Rumsfeld Shaking Hands”.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:

What would you do if you knew the Russian totalitarian regime was trying to penetrate the Gulf to control the world’s oil reserves but you also were trying to avoid turning the Cold War into a Hot Nuclear War?[/quote]

Train Cuban exiles to fail to oust native communists dictators, establishing them as figureheads for the next half-century? Send some 200,000 troops to the South Pacific, more than a quarter to their death? Install nuclear weapons in parts of Europe escalating the threat of a “Hot War”?

Makes supporting and then successfully ousting Saddam and Bin Laden seem kind of mundane.

[quote]PGA wrote:
PGJ wrote:
Don’t try to pull the “I’m not saying…” deal. This video is old and has been posted before. You posted it again for a specific purpose. What slippery slope?

I suppose you know something about running a country, world politics, and national defense. Sometimes you have to deal with people you don’t like or turn out to really bad. What is going on with you lately?

HAHAHAHA! You’re a psycho. I’ve never seen the video and found it funny, hence I posted it first in the Get a Life forum. Slip and slide man, slip and slide…[/quote]

I’m a psycho? Please explain. And while you’re at it, explain the “slippery slope” theory.

Truthfully, why did you post the video? I believe it was an attempt to discredit Rumsfield and the war. Am I wrong? I can believe you never saw the video before. Believe me, that thing has been worn out here and in the liberal media. We have worked with many folks who turned out to be bad. That’s life.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I’m a psycho? Please explain. And while you’re at it, explain the “slippery slope” theory.

Truthfully, why did you post the video? I believe it was an attempt to discredit Rumsfield and the war. Am I wrong? I can believe you never saw the video before. Believe me, that thing has been worn out here and in the liberal media. We have worked with many folks who turned out to be bad. That’s life.

[/quote]

THATS exactly why you’re a psycho. All I did was post a video. I laid no claim to what political party, if any, I affiliate myself with. I didn’t make one comment yet the little gerbil in your brain started walking on the wheel and you concocted a theory as to why I posted this video.

You STILL made up why I posted this video even though I stated in my 3rd post in this thread WHY I posted it.

Your slip and slide is coming up with a reason, or thinking there is a motive, as to why I posted it and then sliding down and theorizing my party affiliation, and then laying claim I’m a conspiracy theorist. All in the same vein I didn’t comment about anything.

I’ve never seen the video before, on here or anywhere else. Look at the date it was posted on the site I linked it to.

I even SEARCHED for it and nothing came up as a thread. It was buried in another thread though. And I’m not going into each and ever thread and seeing if it was posted before.

I’m very sorry that your attempt at finding a reason that I posted this video, other than because I thought it was comical, has failed. Try harder next time.

[quote]PGA wrote:
PGJ wrote:
I’m a psycho? Please explain. And while you’re at it, explain the “slippery slope” theory.

Truthfully, why did you post the video? I believe it was an attempt to discredit Rumsfield and the war. Am I wrong? I can believe you never saw the video before. Believe me, that thing has been worn out here and in the liberal media. We have worked with many folks who turned out to be bad. That’s life.

THATS exactly why you’re a psycho. All I did was post a video. I laid no claim to what political party, if any, I affiliate myself with. I didn’t make one comment yet the little gerbil in your brain started walking on the wheel and you concocted a theory as to why I posted this video.

You STILL made up why I posted this video even though I stated in my 3rd post in this thread WHY I posted it.

Your slip and slide is coming up with a reason, or thinking there is a motive, as to why I posted it and then sliding down and theorizing my party affiliation, and then laying claim I’m a conspiracy theorist. All in the same vein I didn’t comment about anything.

I’ve never seen the video before, on here or anywhere else. Look at the date it was posted on the site I linked it to.

I even SEARCHED for it and nothing came up as a thread. It was buried in another thread though. And I’m not going into each and ever thread and seeing if it was posted before.

I’m very sorry that your attempt at finding a reason that I posted this video, other than because I thought it was comical, has failed. Try harder next time.[/quote]

You posted it to create some controversy. Now you are trying to back away and say “I just thought it was funny”. BS. Man-up and admit you were trying to stir up more anti-Rumsfield sentiment.

That video was all over the news a while back. I saw this post and your other one with some soldiers “tormenting” a dog where you called the soldiers “scumbag mother fuckers”, put two and two together and came to the conclusion that you are trying to make a political point. Don’t try to puss out and claim you were just trying to be funny.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Continued to psychotically babble…
[/quote]

Dude, you need help. Seriously. Maybe if I put a soldiers uniform or a police officers uniform you would believe what I say.

Get a grip on reality. You’ve lost it. Take a look in the mirror and see who the real conspiracy nut is. I flat out told you why I posted it, FLAT OUT. And you STILL can’t believe it.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
So? Remember what was happening back in 1983? Iran was our greatest enemy. Iraq was at war with Iran. We supported Iraq. We also trained Bin Laden to fight the Soviet Union back in the 80’s as well. [/quote]

At the risk of sounding pedantic, the Bin Laden stuff isn’t even true. We funded the mujahideen in general, and the CIA was a fan of some of the more Islamist Afghans because they thought they fought harder, but the Arabs who came to fight the jihad (as opposed to the Afghans) were on their own. Also, Pakistan’s ISI (their CIA) was very picky about retaining direct control on their end anyway.

It just annoys me because I always see left-wingers (not accusing you) of posting or saying it to make some simplistic point.