Rum, Does It Digest Protein?

Hey everyone,
Ive heard of a few people adding a little bit of rum to their protein shakes to help digest the protein faster…or are they just alcoholic’s?
does any one here do this?
does it work?

[quote]el3ctro wrote:
Hey everyone,
Ive heard of a few people adding a little bit of rum to their protein shakes to help digest the protein faster…or are they just alcoholic’s?
does any one here do this?
does it work?[/quote]

I think they just like the added flavor.

If you want the protein to digest faster, you could try digestive enzymes like bromelain or papain. I’ve heard that greens powders also contain enzymes, and could be best taken in a workout shake.

I’ve found that dairy and alcohol make a great mix. Frequently while in college I would come home from a night of drinking and have a pre bed snack of either cottage cheese or protein powder. Normally it would take a crazy volume of booze to get me puking but with the dairy based night cap I would be bent over the toilet in 20 within minutes even if I was only moderately plastered.

I have no idea how smaller quantities affect things though. I never had the desire to find out the hard way.

i’ve never heard of this.

considering i had some ‘fun’ this weekend i dont want anymore till…this weekend,haha

Hmm, what phrase comes to mind… load of bolllocks?

Heck, if there’s anything to it, somebody point to a study or something!

[quote]vroom wrote:
Hmm, what phrase comes to mind… load of bolllocks?

Heck, if there’s anything to it, somebody point to a study or something![/quote]

Possibly a better uptake due to the sugars?

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that a small amount of alcohol with a meaty meal will stimulate the release of digestive acids thus aiding in the breaking of the peptide chains in the fleshbound protein. That’s the closest thing to this I’ve ever heard of. I think Arnold used to drink a small glass of wine for this purpose.

–Tiribulus->

I thought the body stops some digestion of food in order to metabolize any alcohol ingested due to the alcohol being identified by the body as a toxin.

[quote]YoungElias wrote:
I thought the body stops some digestion of food in order to metabolize any alcohol ingested due to the alcohol being identified by the body as a toxin. [/quote]

Yep. Which is why it’s better just to take digestive enzymes (bromelain, papain, pancretin, etc.) or acid stimulators (peppermint, ginger, capsaicin, etc.) Also, “chewing” the protein shake mixes it with more saliva, which also helps aid digestion.

In light of other options, alcohol is just plain stupid for this purpose. Save it for getting high…

[quote]YoungElias wrote:
I thought the body stops some digestion of food in order to metabolize any alcohol ingested due to the alcohol being identified by the body as a toxin. [/quote]

Yeah, last I checked alcohol majorly inhibits protein synthesis, which realllly puts the screw on consuming it with protein.