T Nation

Rugrat Training

Can anyone recommend a good book to get for training children? I have 4 & 5 year boys who love doing push ups, sit ups, and various other body wt exercises. I want them to enjoy working out, so I want something to keep their interest without having to wait on me for help. We’ve just started this and they have a hard time doing push ups and sit ups correctly. I don’t want them to get hurt either. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Quick note, I remember hearing something on a video or reading something Dave Tate said about how the Russians trained their children for GPP and overall strength. Any thing on this would be great.

Thanks

They’re young children. They won’t do structured training, and you would be a fool to try. Just have them use their imaginations, move around, and be kids. If you try to put them through routines, you’ll just turn them off physical activity.

[quote]Xab wrote:
They’re young children. They won’t do structured training, and you would be a fool to try. Just have them use their imaginations, move around, and be kids. If you try to put them through routines, you’ll just turn them off physical activity. [/quote]

I completely understand that. They always want to “work out”. I never force them to do anything at all. As a matter of fact, I don’t even bring up working out to them because they run and play outside all the time. I just don’t want them to think that working out means something boring. I may be putting to much thought into it. But hey, we all want what’s best for our kids.

thanks for the reply, and once again, I would never make my kids do a workout program. I think they get plenty of exercise as it is and they are all healthy boys. They just think they have to do what daddy does.