T Nation

RugbyJ Training Log - 1 Year Newbie :)

Hey Everyone,

This is going to be my new training log. Firstly, a little about me - I am 18 years old, play rugby for my local team and have been in the gym properly for about 1 year. I am 5'10, 13 stone 10 (190lbs) and here are my current 1 rep max from July;

Bench - 100kg
Squat - 135kg
Deadlift - 155kg
Shoulder Press - 62.5kg

I will be re testing my 1 rep max every couple of months! At the moment I am doing 5x5 Strong lifts 3 times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I have pre season training at the minute as well, mainly sprints and fitness circuits, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I do a full arms session on a Sunday just because I enjoy it and don't get to hit as much arms as I would like to through 5x5.

For those who have never done 5x5, it goes like this. 2 workouts, every other day.

Workout A

SQUAT 5X5
BENCH 5X5
BENT OVER ROW 5X5
DIPS 3x10 (can go to 3x5 with weights but don't want to.)

Workout B

SQUAT 5X5
SHOULDER PRESS 5X5
DEADLIFT 1X5
CHINUPS 3X10 (can go to 3x5 with weights but don't want to.)

I am eating around 3100 calories a day in order to try and gain size and strength! I got this number from iifym calculator, which got my maintenance calories as 2800 training 6 times a week, so I have a 300 surplus. I am mainly eating the usual foods, oatmeal, chicken, rice, pasta, sausages (easy calories!) and protein to hit my 3100 a day.

Feel free to give me any tips or comments and let me know of anything else you'd like to know! :slightly_smiling:

Quick note - I have just deloaded most of my lifts as I failed 5x5 3 times in a row! I was up too; 85kg bench, 110kg squat, 55kg shoulder press - deadlift hasn't failed yet.

TRAINING LOG 1 - WEDNESDAY 15TH JULY

SQUAT 100KG - 0/0/0/0/0
I don't squat on wednesdays at the minute, its in between preseason days and will ruin my fitness drills.

BENCH 75KG - 5/5/5/5/5

BENT OVER ROW 60KG - 5/5/5/5/5

DIPS BODYWEIGHT - 10/10/10

First workout done! I hope you guys enjoy keeping up with my progress.
Cheers,
J

That looks like a solid program to me. Too frequent on the squatting for my old body, but you’re 18, you’ll handle it just fine. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Morning all,

Had preseason training last night with rugby! WOW.
Was a killer session for about 1 hour.

First we ran to the bottom of a big bank, up the steps and down 2 times. Then we ran up the bank along the road to the start of a little garden thing which goes down the the beach.

We did a sprint drill here, in little race form up a hill.

Basically there were 3 teams, we each jogged down the hill, 1 at a time, halfway then sprinted up. When you got back to the top the next 3 went and so on till everyone had been 3 times.

Then we did the exact same drill just on a slightly smaller slope, but it was longer in length so still tiring.

After this we ran down the garden to the bottom and did 1 little team game where we got in groups of 4 and raced around a small area, doing each section of the race one time each.

When we had finished that we ran down to the beach and got into teams of 4, each member did 10 squats each then 1 person did a sprint about 50m away, then each member did 10 squats each then the next person did a sprint and so on, until we had all done the sprint. The first team to finish won the race.

At the end we went in the sea to cool off! Was freezing but my legs are feeling much better today haha.

Cheers. :slight_smile:

BOOM

Back to Monday already! BAD NEWS IM ILL… Great start to the week.

Had a rest day Saturday, and hit up some arms and accessory work… here’s what went down;

Single arm curls - 4x10 - 12.5kg
Single tricep pulldown - 4x10 - 10kg
Single skullcrusher - 4x10 - 10kg
Single hammer curl - 4x10 - 15kg
DB Shrugs - 2x15 - 25kg
Rear Delt Raises - 2x10 - 7.5kg

I then did 3x10 of light shoulder rotations as they often ache due to tackling in Rugby… any other tips to stop this?
Then I did 3x10 of light single arm rows, in order to help work on my posture and keeping my back straight when deadlifting etc.
Then I messed around on the punchbag for like 5x30 second rounds just to cool off!

Monday 20/07/2015
Had to miss the gym today - feeling ill as hell! Got one hell of a head cold - hopefully back up and running for preseason tomorrow!
HATE HAVING DAYS OFF :@

Cheers :slight_smile: J

HELLO!

21/07/15

Felt better today so went to preseason training, still a little sick, so wore like 5 layers to sweat it out haha.
We did team fitness games for about 1 hour, involving some sprints, saq drills and races! It was fun.

22/07/15

Today I went back in the gym, felt good after missing my workout on monday!
Ended up doing 5x5 as per haha…

Squat - 102.5kg - 5x5

Bench - 77.5kg - 5x5

Row - 60kg - 5x5

All felt pretty easy! Will soon be working way back up to where I got stuck last time, can hopefully beat it.
Sacked off the dips cos wanted to go on punchbag to finish off instead.

Cheers, J!
Let me know if you have any advice or tips I’d love to hear them!

23/07/2015

PRESEASON AT THE BEACH - ouch
Lots of dune runs, burpees, races up dunes… God help my legs today