Rugby vs Soccer

These are clips taken from the world cup finals of both sport. What do you think is the better sport?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

These are clips taken from the world cup finals of both sport. What do you think is the better sport? [/quote]

It’s a bit like comparing apples and oranges…I love both games.
And for the record,there is no harder,tougher game than rugby.Some may be close or on a par,(Aussie rules football comes to mind),but there is none tougher.And the guys that play it at international level are some of the toughest mofos I’ve ever met.

But a good game of football is poetry!

What are you trying to start; world war 3??

Stirring healthy debate hehe…Zap’s an intelligent guy and I enjoy hearing the different viewpoints.
And besides,that’s what I believe!
So let it begin lads…

I’ve always been a rugby player but have also played soccer when I was younger and I definitely have to say that rugby is more fun. Perhaps that’s just because I was crap at soccer…

purely from a spectator’s POV, rugby is a much more enjoyable game to watch- highly tactical and skilled but raw and driven requiring the players to be quick with their hands and feet, strong and athletic and without fear. Soccer just seems to be a bunch of lads running around with a ball at their feet, and I find it all a bit tedious- ball goes up the pitch, ball comes down the pitch. Repeat ad nauseum for 90 minutes. I was never able to get into watching it.

I’ve played both too, but never had the the desire to play for a soccer club. Rugby on the other hand I played in college… well, you get to roll around in the mud beating up other girls - what’s not to love??

[quote]Gregatron wrote:
I’ve always been a rugby player but have also played soccer when I was younger and I definitely have to say that rugby is more fun. Perhaps that’s just because I was crap at soccer…

[/quote]

Rugger is genetic with you Kiwis hehe…All Blacks are the bane of any Springbok supporters existence!
But I love how they play the game.

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:
And for the record,there is no harder,tougher game than rugby.Some may be close or on a par,(Aussie rules football comes to mind),but there is none tougher.And the guys that play it at international level are some of the toughest mofos I’ve ever met.
[/quote]

I’ve never played soccer, but I play rugby on a local woman’s team, just for fun. Tough mofo’s? Nah, we’re all a bunch of sweethearts! Check the pic in my profile.

Please don’t use Italy and France (especially italy) as representatives for the entire sport…

Question, do you play any of those sports yourself?

I’ve played both, and I wouldn’t want to decide for either or,…

BTW…I talked to a guy in my economics class and I asked him if he was into sports, and he replied, yes I like horse riding and tennis…nothing wrong with either, just the combination made me laugh out loud…

Rugby hands down.

[quote]AKA wrote:
What are you trying to start; world war 3?? [/quote]

Yup!!!

[quote]g’em wrote:
purely from a spectator’s POV, rugby is a much more enjoyable game to watch- highly tactical and skilled but raw and driven requiring the players to be quick with their hands and feet, strong and athletic and without fear. Soccer just seems to be a bunch of lads running around with a ball at their feet, and I find it all a bit tedious- ball goes up the pitch, ball comes down the pitch. Repeat ad nauseum for 90 minutes. I was never able to get into watching it.

I’ve played both too, but never had the the desire to play for a soccer club. Rugby on the other hand I played in college… well, you get to roll around in the mud beating up other girls - what’s not to love??[/quote]

I hear what you’re saying.
Soccer is the kind of game that has to grab you when you’re young,4 or 5,and it takes root if you live in a society that is steeped in it.That goes for any sport,I guess.
But if it’s meanigless to an individual,it’s like watching paint dry,I fully agree!
A bit like golf in that respect hehe…
Rugby is far more appealing to the casual watcher just through the sheer physicality of the sport,and the sheer raw power and pace of the players.It’s far more of a spectacle.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

I’ve never played soccer, but I play rugby on a local woman’s team, just for fun. Tough mofo’s? Nah, we’re all a bunch of sweethearts! Check the pic in my profile.

[/quote]

I should have suspected you were a rugger. I knew I liked you for some reason.

Yes,I’ve played both.I still play football 6 a side indoor with all the young guys,even though at 40 I could be playing veterans hehe…

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

[/quote]

I did qualify that with ‘international level’ hehehe…I love women that like a bit of ‘contact’ in their sport…
Hope you keep playing!

Baseball FTW.

I did qualify that with ‘international level’ hehehe…I love women that like a bit of ‘contact’ in their sport…
Hope you keep playing!

[/quote]

I’m still learning the game, and make quite a few mistakes. But since I am the tallest player with an agressive edge, they need me in the “engine room”.

Yo Momma wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

Hope you keep playing!

[/quote]

I have been lucky to play against touring sides from Ireland, Scotland Zimbabwe and aboot a million matches against Canadian sides.

I don’t think that puts me quite at the international level but I still am no sweetheart.

[quote]texass wrote:
Baseball FTW.[/quote]

Rugby is to soccer as American football is to baseball.

rugby! Go Boks!!

p.s. I still enjoy watching soccer though.