Rugby Virgin

Not to put you off, but I broke my ankle in three places and dislocated it in two in a training session (at the same time) I now have a metal plate in my ankle and cant play rugby for 6 month (trust me I doubt i will play again) needlesstosay, my numbers went down considerably during the months i was in a cast with my ankle above my hip"! :smiley:
I loved rugby- was a prop, but just watch yourself!
Nick (killing joy wherever I can! :P)

You are going to get SCHOOLED by UWE in the varisty game…

[quote]Springcoil wrote:
Yeah ur poundages will start to go up, I’m presently playing university rugby at Bristol Uni in england, the BUSA is a pretty tough competition.

As a hooker i have to agree that forwards are more manly and better looking
[/quote]

better looking forwards hey? Don’t make me laugh.

I’ve played wing forward, second row, both centre positions and wing. Forwards need to train their aerobic far more than backs imo, they also should strength-endurance, whereas backs need to train sprints, speed-strength, and lactic acid training. Both should train strength, and explosiveness.

Obviously, both forwards and backs should polish all facets of the gem, but focus on the above mentioned methinks.

Forwards who have never played as a back always spout of the same bollocks. Forwards definitely have a more cumulatively exhausting game, but backs get more accute exhaustion during the game due to the constant sprinting.

Forwards definitely get their fair share of blows and the like, in rucks, mauls, scrums, and tackles. Again, it is more cumulatively ehausting on your pain threshold etc, and for the backs it is much more accute. Backs get stuck in at rucks as well, but more specifically I am refering to the higher speed collisions that is the nature of tackling for backs.

Of course, backs also have to always keep their mind on strategy and good handling of the ball. The pressure of this in itself is often far more than the common forward ogre can handle. Even in proffesional rugby, just watch when some lumbering oaf of a forward gets into line, and how frewuently he will fuck it all up. The exception of the forwards would be the number 8 and the wing forwards as well though, they are much more generally skilled than the rest of the pack.

That’s what I think anyways! :sunglasses:

As a forward, get your aerobic and strength-endurance up, and maintain your strength.

Good Luck, and enjoy the sport, you ugly lumbering oaf of a forward! :wink:

-Sep

Don’t forget the most important rule of tackling - GO FOR THE LEGS AND BRING THEM DOWN.

It always amazes me the number of people who try to stop 300lb tank forwards by trying to tackle them round the midsection. Wrap both your arms round those legs and hold on tight.

Forwards generally expend more energy during the game. They are also generally slow witted, slow afoot and look like something the cat dragged in.

Backs may not expend as much energy but that is because they do not have to drag around a fat gut. Backs must be able to run quickly and make solo tackles in the open field, which is something Forwards seem incapable of doing. As a result of their obvious skill and good looks Backs also end up satisfying the ladies.

[quote]adguig wrote:
Don’t forget the most important rule of tackling - GO FOR THE LEGS AND BRING THEM DOWN.

It always amazes me the number of people who try to stop 300lb tank forwards by trying to tackle them round the midsection. Wrap both your arms round those legs and hold on tight.[/quote]

That is a good point. I remember my high school coach constantly reminding us that the purpose of the tackle is to take the man down and never miss a tackle! (Missed tackles meant bad next practice!)

His logic for all the missed/broken tackles in North America was that we grew up watching American football where inches matter. In rugby you can check your ego a bit, if the guy runs over you but you take him down, the extra meter is not important. Highlight reeel hits don’t work in rugby as well since the tackler has to hold the wrap.

Statistics have shown that forwards run about 33% more per game than backs. The total distance increases with the level, but the ratio is the same.

[quote]scottyz wrote:
In fact, you will find that forwards are better, smarter, stronger, better looking, and just all around better people than the backs. The backs just want to look pretty, and pretend that they have a the right to drink beer with the forwards.
[/quote]

Typical bullshit from a forward. Here’s the truth of the matter, the forwards are slower, uglier, constantly out of position, and generally wishing they were backs. They drop more balls at half pace than us backs do at full speed, and can commonly be found loitering around the centers waiting to ruin the ground-gaining moves of the backline (usually by dropping a ball, or catching it and then realizing that their idea of a sprint is our idea of a light jog)

Thanks guys, lots of good advice here. I think I’m going to suck it up for a while and if I haven’t started to get acclimatized by April-ish I’ll have to reevaluate myself. You’re posts have also alleaved my other fear, that I’m too damn pretty to play rugby…

[quote]Ren wrote:
scottyz wrote:
In fact, you will find that forwards are better, smarter, stronger, better looking, and just all around better people than the backs. The backs just want to look pretty, and pretend that they have a the right to drink beer with the forwards.

Typical bullshit from a forward. Here’s the truth of the matter, the forwards are slower, uglier, constantly out of position, and generally wishing they were backs. They drop more balls at half pace than us backs do at full speed, and can commonly be found loitering around the centers waiting to ruin the ground-gaining moves of the backline (usually by dropping a ball, or catching it and then realizing that their idea of a sprint is our idea of a light jog)
[/quote]

You are forgeting one fact, you would never have the ball if it was not for us.

[quote]DB297 wrote:
Ren wrote:
scottyz wrote:

[/quote]

Well said, sir!

[quote]
You are forgeting one fact, you would never have the ball if it was not for us.[/quote]

True, but irrelevant.

i.e. without the backs, it would just be two groups of ugly men wrestling for an egg. :wink:

Both the backs and the forwards are vital to the game.

-Sep

[quote]Sepukku wrote:
DB297 wrote:
Ren wrote:
scottyz wrote:

Well said, sir!

True, but irrelevant.

i.e. without the backs, it would just be two groups of ugly men wrestling for an egg. :wink:

-Sep[/quote]

The forwards are just jealous that we get all the women and glory.

[quote]Ren wrote:
Sepukku wrote:
DB297 wrote:
Ren wrote:
scottyz wrote:

Well said, sir!

True, but irrelevant.

-Sep

The forwards are just jealous that we get all the women and glory.[/quote]

Most women do like to hang around gay men, they feel very “safe”