T Nation

Rugby Training Log

Thanks in advance for any info/advice you can give me! I'll likely need a lot of it.

I'm a long time lurker of T-Nation and after searching through the forums for info on rugby training lately, I've found the motivation to start a log.

I'm trying to get into shape for rugby (stronger, faster, better cardio) and left it a bit late this year and just had my second game of the season today (Saturday May 25th). I play scrumhalf and have found that I'm getting way too tired way too quickly in practices and games and don't have the strength and flexibility to be able to get low and tackle/ruck properly. I've never really had breakaway speed but, with the extra weight I've been carrying my acceleration and top speed has really taken a beating. So basically I've got to improve everything!

Some things that I need to take into account with my training are that I work in construction and practice on Tuesday and Thursday nights and have games on Saturdays. I'm not too concerned about being sore for the practices, but I want to get in the best shape possible for September when I'll be going to the UK to live for a bit and play for a team over there (slowly putting some money together for the trip, but that's a different log for a different forum I'm sure).

Stats:
Height 6'
Weight 225lbs
BF% lots

My strength is pretty low right now so I've decided to stick to bodyweight exercises (except for bi's and tri's) until I can hit a few basic numbers that most tenth graders should be able to hit.

Equipment available:
Typical single stack multi-purpose machine (which can be seen at hoistfitness.com/consumer/equipment/v1-select_gym), adjustable dumbbells up to 45lbs, and a barbell set with 380 lbs total (including the bar). No bench or squat rack so that kind of gets in my way a bit, I'm looking to save up some money for my trip so I won't be buying these for quite a while.

Tentative Training Plan:

Monday: Body-weight Workout + Sprints
Tuesday: Practice
Wednesday: Body-weight Workout + Sprints
Thursday: Practice
Friday: Off
Saturday: Game
Sunday: Off (plan on eventually doing something on Sundays once I move away from full-body sessions, any advice on something to throw in for now would be great, anyone have thoughts on just adding a body-weight session on Sunday anyway?).

Thanks for reading through this, any and all advice is welcome!

Labor Omnia Vincit

Just a bit of a follow up to my last post and to give my training background my PR's are:

Bench 200 x 2
Back Squat 245 x 5(ish... maybe less, at least 2 reps)
Deadlift 330 x 1
Front Squat 225 x 5
Clean 135 x 8
All at a bodyweight of 190.

So on May 23rd at 225lbs my workout went like this:

bodyweight squats 3 by 12

Glute bridges 3 by 90 seconds

DB Shoulder Press 30\11 25\12 30\7

Tri Pushdowns 4 Plates 12\14

Plank 20\30\20 (seconds)

Definitely not setting the world on fire but it was good to get some work done, squats felt terrible, my legs are weaker than weak. No training today (May 26) but tomorrow I'll be doing:

Leg lifts 2 x 34 x 90 deg's
Ham Bridges (holds) 2 x 30sec x bw
Walking Lunges (bkwrd)2 x 12 x bw
Plank 2 x 30sec x 100% bw

Chinups 2 x 8-12 x bw (will probably be just doing negatives for a bunch of these
Walking Lunges (forw) 2 x 12 x bw
Wide push-ups 2 x 12-34 x bw
Y,T, W, L's 2 x 6-20 x bw

Standing calf raises 2 x 20-34 x 100% bw
Supermans-Alt'g 2 x 12-20 x 100% bw

It's going to be a rough one but this is a relatively balanced workout I used to be able do a few years ago so we'll see how many sessions it takes before I can hit my goals for each exercise.

Did nothing but pickup heavy stuff at work yesterday so I'm going to push Monday's workout to Friday. Pretty weak stuff, not going to make a habit out of this. Anyone else work in construction and have any advice for how to workout after a particularly tough day? Do you find it's better to just tough it out or try to save yourself (your back mainly) for the next day?

Rough practice tonight (May 30)

Will do some plank and leg lifts tomorrow and rest everything else for the game on Saturday (which I found out I'm starting and most likely finishing).

Labor Omnia Vincit

May 31

Leg Lifts 90 degrees 20/23
Pushups 13/12
Plank 30 sec/30 sec

So I'm super weak, hopefully I'll be able to look back on these numbers in a little while and have a good laugh

June 2

Had a game Saturday so the session on Sunday felt extra brutal. Started with a proper warmup full of plyo's and then moved onto the lunges

Walking Lunges (bkwrd) 2 x 12
Walking Lunges (forw) 1 x 12
Chinups 2 x 8-12 x bw 1 + 7 negatives / 8 negatives

Plank 2/30 sec
Wide push-ups 6, 6 on knees/12 on knees (went for a 3 second eccentric but still a pretty poor performance)
Leg lifts 23/23

Ham Bridges (holds) 0
Walls Sit 0
Y,T, W, L's 2 x 12

Standing calf raises 15/20
Supermans-Alt'g 0

Conditioning was definitely a limiting factor today, I may split up the lunges so their farther apart next time and do pushups or chinups between the sets. Legs felt stiff and full of lactic acid on the second set of forward lunges (did one lunge and felt like I was going to tear my hammy). This will likely change as I workout more consistently. Pushups and chinups were also a bit of a let down but I think being tired from the lunges and the game must have something to do with that (said my ego). Decided to rest the legs and skip the bridges and wall sit due to how my legs were feeling (couldn't hold the hamstring bridges for more than 6 seconds), hope to finish all exercises next time out. Finished the session with a nice long stretch, I'm betting work will suck tomorrow.

As always, advice/opinions are welcome!

Labor Omnia Vincit

June 4th

Got demolished at work and then had a practice. Mainly non-contact drills but my cardio seems to be close to where it should be, was able to talk/make calls during game play for the first time in a while.

June 5th
DB Shoulder Press 30lbs 13/11
DB Curls 25/11/12
Triceps Pushdowns 5 plates 13/13

Almost non-existent strength, it's all about improving (or so I keep telling myself). I somewhat cleaned up my diet this week and am getting closer to having 4 meals per day with at least 20g protein per meal and two servings of veggies.

Big game tomorrow, we're 0-3 so far this season. The club is in a rebuilding phase that's gone on far too long. Time to win some games!

June 6th and 7th
No Training

June 8th
No training, just a game. Lost in the last five minutes on an 80 meter run but I just rode the pine all game. Sunday's workout should be better this time.

Hey man, welcome to the forums.

Not sure if you're familiar with elitefts.net but recently (last couple months) they've put out a few articles specific to strength and conditioning for rugby, might want to check it out when you have a chance. (go to the articles section then look up ashley jones under the "authors" drop down list).

Cheers

Awesome stuff! Thanks TSpoon, this guy seems legit. I'll be going over these articles today and likely adding to/changing up my training plan. Did you stumble upon the rugby articles while checking out powerlifting stuff on elitefts or do you play too?

Don't mention it. Yep, I used to play hooker+tighthead but had to stop about a year and a half ago...too many concussions aha. What country/level are you playing at man ?

I have been doing a lot of research myself because I want to play rugby this fall for a club in Birmingham, AL. I just started my program today actually and I am going to be posting my training logs on T Nation. The program I will be using is basically a version of Westside modified by a strength and speed coach at D1 Memphis for football players. I added in strongman lifts, tire flips, log press, farmer carries etc. because the demands that they impose on the body are very similar to the demands in game.

Man to man, even though you feel like your barbell lifts aren't very good, I wouldn't recommend substituting bodyweight exercises. You should take some time to work on the big three; Squat, Deadlift, and Overhead Press (I would scrap the bench pressing because it has very little practical application to the sport that you are participating in) start off with light weights and focus on form and progressing in a way that will help you get stronger not just lift more weight.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps.

June 10th

General plyo warmup (A, B, C's, etc.).

Backward lunges bw x 2 sets x 10 reps each leg
Pushups x 6 + 6 on knees / 4 + 8 on knees. Absolutely dreadful strength for some reason, I made sure I was counting down a 3 second eccentric but this is ridiculous.
Forward lunges bw x 2 sets x 10 reps each leg
Chinups was absolutely dead, will do them tomorrow before arms.
Plank 2 x bw x 40 seconds
Leg lifts 2 x 20

Will do rotator cuff stuff tomorrow too.

Absolutely dreadful numbers continue, I think it could be related to the lack of food this morning (made a protein shake with grapefruit and orange juice. It tasted like a chocolate orange at first and then made me want to hurl so I only had about a quarter of it... back to berries and milk I go) so I'm going to get a better breakfast in tomorrow for sure.

Playing low level rugby in Ontario, a league below Marshall. Sorry to hear about the concussions, must've been tough to retire but I'm sure your brain and family will be much better off in 20 years because of it!

I checked out the Ashley Jones articles and I think I'll be able to take a bit away from them. However, I don't think I have the time and equipment right now to follow along with a lot of what he wrote about.

Thanks for stopping in Graham!
I think you may be right about getting back to hitting the weights. I just did a quick look around the web and I'll be picking up a squat rack later in the week so that I don't have to rely on my clean and jerk to get the weight up to my shoulders or back. I've checked out 5/3/1 and WS4SB so I'll be keeping an eye out for your log for sure. It'll be great to get back to lifting heavy stuff, but I'll definitely keep some bodyweight stuff as assistance work.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the switch over to rugby (I assume you've been playing football in the past? Maybe even for Memphis?). Just remember that when you make a tackle, put your head behind the knees. Behind the knees.

New plan:

Buy squat rack, run through Dan John's "One Lift a Day" (http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_one_lift_a_day_program) program for three or so weeks, then do 5/3/1.

This will probably be best for managing time, fatigue, and simplicity.

[/quote]

Thanks for stopping in Graham!
I think you may be right about getting back to hitting the weights. I just did a quick look around the web and I'll be picking up a squat rack later in the week so that I don't have to rely on my clean and jerk to get the weight up to my shoulders or back. I've checked out 5/3/1 and WS4SB so I'll be keeping an eye out for your log for sure. It'll be great to get back to lifting heavy stuff, but I'll definitely keep some bodyweight stuff as assistance work.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the switch over to rugby (I assume you've been playing football in the past? Maybe even for Memphis?). Just remember that when you make a tackle, put your head behind the knees. Behind the knees. [/quote]

WS4SB has given some fellow athletes great results and I love 5/3/1 because of how simple it is to follow.
I played OLB in high school, and I played in a intramural league in Japan while I was in the navy. I also had an opportunity to play Aussie rules football in Darwin and I had the time of my life. I will remember to get my head behind the knees, never heard that one before.

Cool, what club do you play for ? used to play for Balmy Beach myself. Yep I miss it but I'll probably be thankful I stopped a few years down the road.

June 12

No lifting, just practice today. Weren't many people out tonight so we just did some passing drills and played a bunch of touch. I think I was able to learn a thing or two but it's definitely not going to help the team as a whole for Saturday.

Arms tomorrow

I'd rather not mention the club (probably just being paranoid about internet privacy), but my team's first XV have taken on the Beach second XV a bunch of times and had relatively good games.

Aussie rules seems like an awesome game, hope to make it down there one day. The navy thing is pretty cool too, thank you for your service.

If you've been an OLB you should be able to clean up as a flanker/inside center, what prompted the change of sport?

Aussie rules seems like an awesome game, hope to make it down there one day. The navy thing is pretty cool too, thank you for your service.

If you've been an OLB you should be able to clean up as a flanker/inside center, what prompted the change of sport?
[/quote]

I'm changing sports because I am at a junior college now, but I will be transferring to a 4 year soon. I might still try to walk on at UAB, but even at the mid major level, it is hard for the guys that aren't on scholarship.