Rugby Tips

Angry CHicken: I’m the opposite: I used to play hooker(#2), but I didn’t like it so I switched to flanker. How’d you like playing front row (were you hooker or prop?). And that is one wierd story lol.

Ruggby: Well when I ruck, I get really low and grab on to their knee. I’ll then lift up that leg that I’m grabbing, and theyll be off balance since they’re only on one leg. Then I’ll just shove them forward. By sportsmanship, I mean that whenever I do that, all the other players always give me dirty looks and such( doesn’t stop me though.) But I’ve also heard that doing that is dangerous, since the knee is easily injured. It’s kinda like the equivalent of stomping/raking someone in the ruck. Idk I’m just thinking aloud here.

Bambi: THanks for the advice! THis year Im really gonna focus on getting lower.

Dont be a fat fuck like i was, and dropping an opposing team member on their head is considered rude. i remeber in highschool going on tour to spain to play a few friendly matches, and the pitches were either sand instead of grass, or had manhole covers in them

[quote]Ravenous_ wrote:
Angry CHicken: I’m the opposite: I used to play hooker(#2), but I didn’t like it so I switched to flanker. How’d you like playing front row (were you hooker or prop?). And that is one wierd story lol.

Ruggby: Well when I ruck, I get really low and grab on to their knee. I’ll then lift up that leg that I’m grabbing, and theyll be off balance since they’re only on one leg. Then I’ll just shove them forward. By sportsmanship, I mean that whenever I do that, all the other players always give me dirty looks and such( doesn’t stop me though.) But I’ve also heard that doing that is dangerous, since the knee is easily injured. It’s kinda like the equivalent of stomping/raking someone in the ruck. Idk I’m just thinking aloud here.

Bambi: THanks for the advice! THis year Im really gonna focus on getting lower.
[/quote]

What country are you from? I have been taught that at a young age in england. Its not sportsmanship, its good technique! Dont let other tell you how to play the game just because they are getting owned technique wise. Ive broken someones ribs in training (running full speed, oppo number got a hospital pass… couldnt resist) but that wasnt considered bad sportsmanship, i was cheered by the coaches.

[quote]Ravenous_ wrote:

[/quote]

My last 5 years I played at 1. I switched from loose forward to front front row after three knee surgeries and getting up to a BW of ~250, those damn 22 year olds were smoking me! LOL Now, I was the lightest and fastest prop on my team, but I was also one of the strongest and most technical in the scrum.

I hung up the boots at age 32 after an unfortunate rucking incident tore my right pec, anterior delt, rotator cuff, etc… ended up with two screws and a half inch of bone cut off my clavicle. I still have trouble lifting my arm all the way over my head. But I loved every minute on the front row. A perfectly executed scrum is a thing of beauty encompassing so many different layers… Those were some of the best times in my life when I felt the most alive.

I’m a forward with a football background (love Rugby) so I have much experience with tackling. When a match starts the first 5 0r 6 hits I make are the absolutely most brutal and life altering hits I can possibly impose (borderline safe). Obviously this is just as dangerous to me as it is to anybody I hit, but starting the match that way sets the tempo and makes the opposition think when they see me coming. There are always exceptions, but the majority of the time people brace themselves when they see me hauling ass to them.

This makes it easier to take them down with minimal effort (haven’t really figure out why). For example I was playing against a local Marine team and they had a guy you could obviously tell was the enforcer. The line split (almost as if it was meant to be) and he come barreling through straight at me. I could tell he was not for going around, so I stuck him straight in the lower ribs with my shoulder. He was about 6’4" 250 so he had me by 2" and 20lbs.

He started to drive me back, so I jacked both his legs off the ground and wrecked his world. The Sir bitched me out, but every single person on his team let the ball go before I got to them for the rest of the match. During the post match festivities the guy I hit told me that he had never been hit like that before. Felt good. Wrecking peoples souls in competition keeps them on their heels.

[quote]FireFace wrote:
I’m a forward with a football background (love Rugby) so I have much experience with tackling. When a match starts the first 5 0r 6 hits I make are the absolutely most brutal and life altering hits I can possibly impose (borderline safe). Obviously this is just as dangerous to me as it is to anybody I hit, but starting the match that way sets the tempo and makes the opposition think when they see me coming. There are always exceptions, but the majority of the time people brace themselves when they see me hauling ass to them. This makes it easier to take them down with minimal effort (haven’t really figure out why). For example I was playing against a local Marine team and they had a guy you could obviously tell was the enforcer. The line split (almost as if it was meant to be) and he come barreling through straight at me. I could tell he was not for going around, so I stuck him straight in the lower ribs with my shoulder. He was about 6’4" 250 so he had me by 2" and 20lbs. He started to drive me back, so I jacked both his legs off the ground and wrecked his world. The Sir bitched me out, but every single person on his team let the ball go before I got to them for the rest of the match. During the post match festivities the guy I hit told me that he had never been hit like that before. Felt good. Wrecking peoples souls in competition keeps them on their heels.[/quote]

LOL

I have a similar story involving Navy. We were playing the Naval Academy team which are a notorious bunch of assholes - seriously, the grossest display of unsportsmanlike conduct I’ve EVER witnessed in a rugby match was at the hands of a Navy player - I wrote a letter to the coach and everything, but nothing happened - apparently that’s how they do business there, but that’s another story.

So their 8 man went for the blind side (I was 6 at the time) in the first scrum of the match. He hesitated a SECOND too long deciding how to get around me and I knocked that dude into next week, the ball went into touch and as we got up to prepare for the line out, I said, “don’t you EVER come to my side, BITCH!”. He didn’t. LOL. The cool part about it was that we were filming the match and the hit/exchange took place RIGHT IN FRONT of the camera.

So when they were playing it back during the third half, they kept rewinding that hit and what I told him! I got voted man of the match and everything - I got SOOOO drunk that day, I ended up doing beer slides and have no idea how I got home.