T Nation

Rugby Season 2010

Hey, I’m going to start playing rugby for a U19 team in my area. I am starting this spring and i was wondering what i should do to prepare for the season, and what position i will most likely play.
Stats.
Height:5’9
Weight: 168… hopefully 180 by the season
Squat:335
Bench: 210

Hey mate, just some questions!
What country will you be playing in?
How fast/quick are you?
And what are your ball handling skills like?
Lastly, are you a good kicker of he rugby ball? that is in play… not goal kicking
Also have you played rugby before?

these will keep you train for rugby. Cleans, deads, rows, squats, all manner of overhead lifting, more rows , sprinting and steaks.

Pull-ups,cleans, overhead presses, squats, uni-lateral work, and any core work are what you should focus on from a lifting spectrum.Just don’t foreget to run your ass off, this game sucks ass when you’re not fit. The weightroom is vital, there’s no doubt about that but what you lack in size you can make up for in fittness and technique. Worry more about the skills and track work than the weightroom right now. Best of luck to you.

[quote]SHSU_rugger wrote:
Pull-ups,cleans, overhead presses, squats, uni-lateral work, and any core work are what you should focus on from a lifting spectrum.Just don’t foreget to run your ass off, this game sucks ass when you’re not fit. The weightroom is vital, there’s no doubt about that but what you lack in size you can make up for in fittness and technique. Worry more about the skills and track work than the weightroom right now. Best of luck to you.[/quote]

X2
Focus on your fitness and sprints, and when you’re in the gym make sure to hit the big lifts already mentioned. Rugby is the most miserable game on the planet if you’re UNfit, or it can be the most fun game on the planet if you’re fit, it’s up to you.