Rugby Pre-Season

Thanks for the input, I just bought a band today and looking to use it later and before every session. How long would you suggest doing band work for? sets/reps etc.

Some major DOMS today, tried stretching off to loosen up but hasn’t really made a lot of difference, guess it’s just going to take a couple of sessions to get back into it.

Which grip bent over row would be more beneficial, pronated or supinated? Also a more horizontal or vertical stance?

I think ur over thinking things mate.

Do which feels most natural too you.

Be at least 45 degrees if not more.

[quote]thosebananas wrote:

[quote]laner wrote:
What you’ve recommended was what I was planning on doing when the season started. I didn’t say that I was doing bodybuilding for rugby specific weightlifting which is why I’ve been doing it in the off-season to add mass and because I enjoy training that way. Was also a 3 day split of upper/lower/upper.

I understand what you’re getting at and will begin to use a more rugby specific training program as of now.

What sort of shoulder prehab would you suggest? band work etc?

[/quote]

I played up to international level for U23 for Ireland.

As soon as the off season came, we spent 6 weeks goin after power and strength. mass means fuck all if you cant use it fast and powerfully.

Then inseason we changed to lower volume to try to keep this gains. typically we would increase our lifts by about 20% over the 6 week and have lost 5-10% by end of season. Therefore progress was always being made.

Shoulder prehab - band pull aparts, dumb bell rotations, look up diesel crew shoulder prehab on youutube. do that once a week and you shouldnt have any shoulder problems. least no niggly ones that beocome big injuries.
(this is not saying that you wont snap your collarbone or seperate your shoulder due to impact, but shouldnt get injuried due to stress)[/quote]

Why aint you playing anymore? Bloody Irish scrum is a discrace,

Haha I’m looking forward to seeing doran jones and cole tearing up at the world cup next year!

For preseason training I alternate between lifting and conditioning one day left next day conditioning.
As for recovery getting in the cold tub works well. Plus a little foam rolling

not plaing anymore as I broke my ankle before the U23 world cup a few years ago and my ankle can no longer take the hard running needed. also during rehab i discovered i was quite strong, so i am now a strongman. :smiley: