T Nation

Rugby Player Needs Summer Help

Hey, if anyone helps I am thanking you in advance. First off let me tell you a little about me. I am 5’7 and currently about 195 lbs with a 36 waist (I don’t have a scale here at school). I play rugby and am 19 y/o.

My goals this summer: Get somewhat of abs, get leaner and faster, be appx 180-190 at the end of the summer. I have from now until mid august to get ready for the next season. What i was thinking is 1 month mass, 1 month cut, 1 month mass, 1 month cut, etc. The supplements i have right now, Pre-Workout Shock Therapy, PostWorkout
Storm, I have adenergy left over (been taking this in hte morning) and I have Gold Standard Whey. I also take AST multipro 32x multi-vitamin.

If someone could put together a program, tweak a current available program or just let me know of a program to use would be great. I can go to the gym appx. 4-6X a week. Any help would be awesome. Let me know if you would like to know anything else.

Bad idea imo go bulk add quailty size#1 then take minimal time to cut. like 3 months bulk 1 month cut. that yoyo crap wont get you anywhere you never give your body time to get accustomed to the new mass so to keep it

Phill

thanks… i rather bulk up for 3 months… its more fun to begin with… ne suggestions on workout programs?

Look up Westside for skinny bastards (or something like that).

It will get you bigger, and assist in performance.

What position do you play?

go to www.getstrength.com, rugby specific articles written by the crusaders strenght andconditioner along with as q and a section

I would focus on getting fit first. A 36" waist sounds a little big for someone your height and age.

Lift three days a week total body and run/interval train 2 days a week.

You will be stronger and fitter by next season.

I don’t play but this seems to be a decent thread about off season rugby training:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
I don’t play but this seems to be a decent thread about off season rugby training:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921

[/quote]

From that thread:

I got the Litvi thing from Dan John. You might have heard of him, flies around Utah in a flying saucer.

Basic premise is you perform a lifting movement, say a kettlebell swing or a power clean with a sandbag, bang out a couple of reps and then dump and immediately sprint a given distance. It’s complex training really. Keep the distance short.

[quote]gadget wrote:

What position do you play?[/quote]

I have played flanker and hooker, but looking more towards flanker next year. Our team has now won 2 straight Division 3 collegiate national championships. We are a very fit team, so I’m not too worried about being fit, more just gaining speed/

[quote]blo529 wrote:
gadget wrote:

What position do you play?

I have played flanker and hooker, but looking more towards flanker next year. Our team has now won 2 straight Division 3 collegiate national championships. We are a very fit team, so I’m not too worried about being fit, more just gaining speed/[/quote]

Then I stand by some sort of Westside system. You need to gain weight. 86kg is light for a forward. This system will allow you to add weight and speed.

Also, I would consider moving back to hooker. You’re short for a flanker (as they tend to be lineout options) and this would be and advantage in the front row. (but I’m biased, having always played tighthead prop).

The difference in playing between hooker and openside flanker (fetcher) is very small, outside of scrumtime of course.

Let me know how it goes.

Agree with gadget.

bro@ 86kg and 36inch waist id be hitting the weights hard… you need to forget about your abs 3 weeksinto a rugby season they are gone whatever way you look at it.

dont bother with a cut it will only hinder strnegth and then subsequent speed gains.

im 90kg @ 5 foot 8 i play hooker. i would even bother playin on the back row it is for tarts who dont like scrummaging.

personally id be eating about 4500cals a day

doing the follwoing

day 1- lower body
box jumps
cleans
squats
good mornings

day 2- upper body
push press
speed bench
bench
weight chins
then 10 x 250m rowing sprints all out effort

day 3- sprint work
follow defranco sprint days in WS$SB

day 4- off

day 5-speed endurance
fart lek, intervals etc longer distance sprinting with shorter breaks.

day 6- strongman conditioning
keg carries and walk (over throws for me)
tyre flips
car pushes
car pulls
yoke walks
farmer walks
sled pulls

pick a load and do a bunch of heavy medlys lasting a couple of minutes each then break and repeat. etc

the reason I need to cut fat is because I came gained 15 lbs in the off season between fall and spring and my coach was very dissatisfied with my speed. Our Jumpers this year came from the second row and the 8 man.

Our team doesn’t go for a big pack, rather a very fit pack that can run the whole field the whole game. We would murder team’s this way, we won the semifinal game 85-0.

one more question, what kind of reps should i be doing, i know this is key to any workout

I’d say hooker would probably be your best bet as well. I wear #2 and i’m 6’0, 210ish (I typically play around 220ish). I’m far from an expert, but here are my thoughts; take them with a grain of salt.

Without seeing you and going by numbers alone, 36in is a bit chunky for a 5’7 flanker/hooker; sorry bro, it is what it is. I’m 6’0, 210 and my waist is 35in. I had to look at myself a few days ago when I stepped on the scale and went “Fuck, how did I go from 208 and 13% bf to 218 and 15.6% in 5 days?!?”; not a great feeling but a necessary evil towards improvement. I think we are ALL our own worst critics here.

Having said that, at 19 and being a relative beginner in terms of training age, I dont think there’s a big need for any kind of cutting, or even any kind of a bulk/cut cycle; I think you need to train and get stronger for your sport. Bodybuilders feel free to chime in, as I am not extremely knowledgable with regards to cutting and bulking. Having abs is great but you have to make a decision: are you a rugby sportsman or a bodybuilder/weightlifter? These aren’t mutually exclusive by any stretch of the imagination (and we ALL want a set of abs of course), but the goals for your training will come from this differentiation.

Dan John and Shugs proved that you can achieve massive changes to your fat mass in a very short frame of time. I think right now you should look into something like Westside for Skinny Bastards and just GET STRONG. I like that one because DeFranco has a running component to it as well; one of my downfalls early in college was to totally neglect the running component of the offseason. I had forgotten that I was a rugby athlete, not a weightlifter. Even just a standard 4 Day conjugated program over the summer (check out Dave Tate’s periodization bibles); throw in DeFrancos WFSB running work on the DE days (2nd workout) as a complement and/or some of Cosgrove’s complexes on DE days to cut some fat and keep a baseline fitness level.

Just some ideas there. I know what has worked for me so experiment and see what works for you. Always tweaking and improving; always be a work in progress.

Jeez, I hope that makes sense, because it looks like gibberish now, probably shouldnt be posting at midnight when I have an 8am flight to Seattle to pack for! One more thing: PLAY 7’s. That is a TREMENDOUS fitness component as well as building your ball skills. My skills have been hurt in the past two years because I haven’t been able to play 7’s in the summers. Even just once a week is enough to keep refining skills; plus it teaches you to play in space, which is VITAL…

I would also second going to rugbystrength.com…Ashley Jones is the All Blacks trainer and has written some excellent articles on that site.

yea i know im a bit chubby… i know thats the problem lol… thanks for the responses… i know running is key this summer… im going to be playing on a developmental team this summer… to tune my skills, especially line-outs and hooking…

by far I was the best freshman tackler, but I know thats not the only thing involved in rugby… are there any specific exercises i must do besides deadlift, bench, and squat?

bro rep range i stick to 3sets of 5 or 5sets of 3 on the main i.e. bench, squats and deads. then increase rep range to 6-12 on others. that is 3-5work sets may be 10 sets in all i.e. i have a 230kg deads. id hit 215kg for 3x5 so.

100x5, 140x5, 180x5, 200x3, 215x3x5 then onto the other stuff. tis the way i like it.

honestly bro with a sold diet at or just over maintenacne. runningwith power endurance conditioning i.e stongman stuff you will drop the fat. its not that hard when your running. you can be fit an hold a couple of pounds. i have done in previosu seasons.

post up your diet etc that is extrmeley important. set yourself how many times a weeks and duration you can train. and it will be worked around that. from what i gave you throw in a ocuple of pick up games of soccer, basketball or touch and your sorted…

[quote]blo529 wrote:
yea i know im a bit chubby… i know thats the problem lol… thanks for the responses… i know running is key this summer… im going to be playing on a developmental team this summer… to tune my skills, especially line-outs and hooking…

by far I was the best freshman tackler, but I know thats not the only thing involved in rugby… are there any specific exercises i must do besides deadlift, bench, and squat?[/quote]

If you are going to be playing in the front row do some neck work.

Basic compound lifts like you listed. Add some cleans. Lots of running and interval work and some curls to get girls are OK.

Make good food choices and don’t worry about bulking or cutting. Caloric restiction isn’t going to help you with the conditioning work but as long as you are training hard and not eating crap food your fat will probably start to come off.

So train hard, eat clean, track progress and adjust.

Good advice from everyone. I don’t know why anyone would want to hook, but you do seem to have a better frame for it. Then again, maybe the best player I played against this season was a short flanker, maybe 5’8’’ or 5’9’’, but always at the breakdown immediately, great tackler, turned the ball over a lot (to his team).

I wouldn’t necessarily lean out, just watch what you eat, especially at night.

People on here praise Westside for Skinny Bastards, probably a good place to go. I’d do cleans too, but the best thing for speed I think is plyometrics, done right. I was always slow playing DIII football in college, but a summer spent working on campus and doing plyo workouts with a school strength coach a couple times a week made me noticeably less slow.

Others could probably recommend a good book for plyos, I think they help a ton but don’t overdo the volume, taxing on the CNS.