Rugby Movie

remember when Willie Anderson did this?

EPIC.

For those of you who don’t know, the movie is about an actual high school team from the US in Salt Lake City, Utah. There’s some info here Highland High School RFC . They’ve won more national championships than every other high school in the states combined. They start every season with 100-120 guys showing up to practices, way more than the Highland High School football team. The following is way bigger for rugby in that community.

Regarding the ‘haka’ they do, Salt Lake City is the mormon capital of the world and attracts a lot of foreign converts. Mormons have done a lot of mission work in Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, etc… so there are a lot of Polynesians in Salt Lake City. I’m pretty sure that’s why they do a ‘haka’ like dance before matches.

All that being said, I haven’t seen the movie yet, next Tuesday I think my club’s doing a pre-release screening. I imagine the prison thing and general story will be formulaic and lame, but shit, if it gets people in America talking about rugby then it’s ok in my book.

Sounds like its going to suck.

Having seen “Once Were Warriors” and the All Blacks play, I would do an extra effort not to piss off a maori. FFS the best female shotputter at the moment is maori.

And in case you haven’t seen it:
The scottish haka Scottish Haka - YouTube

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
fuck this… no offence, but if there was going to be a rugby film, someone from europe would have done it.
[/quote]

QFT.

[quote]sands wrote:
That trailer is almmost laughable

Check out “The Last Winter” great Australian film about rugby.[/quote]

i cant find this anywhere… are you sure thats the name? or does it maybe have a diferent worldwide name?

Scott

sands wrote:

Check out “The Last Winter” great Australian film about rugby.

i cant find this anywhere… are you sure thats the name? or does it maybe have a diferent worldwide name?

Scott[/quote]

My mistake, it’s actually “The final winter”. Don’t know if it has a different worldwide name.

[quote]sands wrote:
thosebananas wrote:
sands wrote:

Scott

My mistake, it’s actually “The final winter”. Don’t know if it has a different worldwide name.[/quote]

cheers for that mate. i found it. sounds good.

woudl you know where to look for it online to watch. i tried surfthechannel. are there any australian versions of this?

Scott

The Haka should not be performed by anyone who isn’t representing New Zealand.

This movie looks gay

sands wrote:
thosebananas wrote:
sands wrote:

Scott

My mistake, it’s actually “The final winter”. Don’t know if it has a different worldwide name.

cheers for that mate. i found it. sounds good.

woudl you know where to look for it online to watch. i tried surfthechannel. are there any australian versions of this?

Scott[/quote]

Dont know mate, it was a fairly small Australian movie so it may not be available to watch online, though you can probably find a version to download somewhere.

I always wished there was a really good movie about rugby. But with Americans playing it… It just can’t be taken seriously.

Jacked Diesel wrote:
apparently the haka is a great american high school tradition

and their trying to sell “rugby is all about tradition” etc

its not a tradition if you steal it off someone else just cuz its “cool”.
[/quote]

If they wanted to make a movie about “traditional” rugby in America, the characters wouldn’t know what rugby is until college, game scenes would be interrupted every 30 seconds by a knock on,

forward pass or obstruction, and the post game drink ups would be the most entertaining part of the film with the awesome songs and imbibing of spirits from a boot.

Man, I miss playing rugby.

anyone else notice that there wasn’t one recognisable rugby play in that trailor?

The movie looks like total cash-in teen movie bullshit - is rugby suddenly cool in the States or something?

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0102581/plotsummary

Best rugby film ever. OK maybe I’m a little biased, but it really is a genuinely funny and insightful film.

For the record, there’s no “the haka” There’s the Ka Mate haka that is traditionally performed by the All Blacks (and drunk Kiwis overseas) but every iwi has several haka of their own (as do many schools etc) commemorating significant events or aspects of their identity etc.

Haka is the Maori word for war dance rather than describing a particular set of actions. The Samoans, Tongans, Fijians, etc, all have their own names (which have escaped my mind at the moment) and dances.

Actually a quick you tube search has reminded me the Tongan one is called the sipi tau The Haka - New Zealand Vs Tonga - YouTube

There was a pretty awesome movie about rugby, from Japan surprisingly. It was called “Hero” I think .

Although Americans usually suck at rugby on a global scale, due to starting the game too late in life to learn all it’s idiosyncracies, it is good to know that many Americans smash into each other, then get drunk, sing songs, run naked through their town centers, set fire to their pubic hair, and other rugby associated mayhem.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
There was a pretty awesome movie about rugby, from Japan surprisingly. It was called “Hero” I think .

Although Americans usually suck at rugby on a global scale, due to starting the game too late in life to learn all it’s idiosyncracies, it is good to know that many Americans smash into each other, then get drunk, sing songs, run naked through their town centers, set fire to their pubic hair, and other rugby associated mayhem.[/quote]

i thought that was only the celtic rugby traditions.

good to know it goes on around the world.

Scott