Rugby 7s Preseason

Hi All,

New here. Read a lot, never posted.

I’m in a team entering in a few Rugby 7s Tournaments towards the end of the year which I am new to. I’m just wondering if anyone knows some good conditioning drills for the aerobic and anaerobic side of the game.

On the weights side of things, we’re doing the WSFSB Speed and Strength Template. Great program and getting results. We just need to make sure we have got O2 in the lungs for these tournaments.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi buddy,
I would be interested to see what works for you. Do you plan to train with your team?
I would probably suggest 2 conditioning sessions a week;

training session 1;
6 x 400m sprints
10 x 15m hill sprints

training session number 2;
10 x 80m sprints
10 x 15m sprints

I would also consider looking into fartlek, tabata and agilty drills aswell.

Let me know how you go.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi buddy,
I would be interested to see what works for you. Do you plan to train with your team?
I would probably suggest 2 conditioning sessions a week;

training session 1;
6 x 400m sprints
10 x 15m hill sprints

training session number 2;
10 x 80m sprints
10 x 15m sprints

I would also consider looking into fartlek, tabata and agilty drills aswell.

Let me know how you go.

tweet[/quote]

Thanks for that. The schedule is usually…

Mon: Off
Tue: ME Lower Body
Wed: Conditioning Day
Thu: RE Upper Body
Fri: Training - Drills and Touch Footy. No real running or speed work.
Sat: DE Lower Body
Sun: ME Upper Body & Rugby Training - Same as Friday

We train as a team on Fri and Sun. A few are following the same lifting. I

I haven’t played 7s before so I don’t really know what I am stepping into!

Hey Brah
I use a variation of this guys workout and have had good results. You might want to check it out.

Had to sub some exercises due to lack of equipment but other than that it was a good fit being that the workout days were Mon-Wed-Fri and the team training days were Tue and Thur. In my opinion though the best training for Sevens is touch footy, touch footy and more touch footy…

7’s is all about speed and agility. best thing to do is do alot of sprints and work in practicing chip kicks or grubber kicks just to throw yourself off a little and try some on the fly drop goals. a weighted vest and agility ladder wouldn’t hurt either. other than that just practice practice practice.

twice a week will be optimal; one day focusing on speed/agility and another endurance/gassing.
An example would be
gassing:
5 min job
dynamic warmup
10x10m starts; for each one start by lying down or the opposite direction and aim for a 5-7 sec turnover rate. Rest a minute when you do ten and then start again.
30 m ladder with 10 m intervals. go up and down and then rest for 30 seconds and do another rep and rest for about 80 seconds between sets. Aim for 3-4 sets of 3 reps.
10 min cool down
Total distance: ~2.5-2.75 miles

speed agility:
5 min job
dynamic warmup
10x10m starts; for each one start by lying down or the opposite direction and aim for a 5-7 sec turnover rate. Rest a minute when you do ten and then start again.
20 m shuttle; do 4 sets of 4 with a <10 sec or so recycle rate between reps and 80-90 sec rest between between sets. Shuttle can also be replaced by a 25m zag drill.
10x40 m sprints; rest 30 sec between reps.
10 min cool down
Total distance: ~2 miles

For both try reducing rest between sets by ten seconds every 2-3 weeks until you are down to 50-60 seconds between sets. The goal is by the end of the rest period your breathing has returned to normal.
I have been doing this and it has significantly increased my fitness level.