Rudy laid out his broad plans yesterday.
The Twelve Commitments:
- I will keep America on offense in the Terrorists’ War on Us.
Ooooohhhh. Creative twist on the age old “War on Terror”. Please explain what exactly that means? Is he going after Bin Laden (the O.G. terrorist), or is he planning on finding some news ones to attack and keep the Industrial Military Complex chugging along?
At best he gets marks for correct English, at least now we are targeting a group of people and not an idea.
- I will end illegal immigration, secure our borders, and identify every non-citizen in our nation.
How? How? and HOLY CRAP how? to put it mildly, this is a fucking bold undertaking. I definitely like the idea, but when the government has trouble identifying its citizens accurately, I am not sure how he plans on identify all the non-citizens.
I will give him a helping hand and let him know that I, as a non-citizen, am in Ohio, chilling with my green card. 1 down Rudy, a couple of million to go.
- I will restore fiscal discipline and cut wasteful Washington spending.
Not going to happen. If he could do this I might be inclined to declare him the greatest president ever, but he would have to hold every Senator at gunpoint to get rid of all the pork that is floating around. So once again, how is he going to gut pet projects when Senators have hissy fits at the mere mention of their pet projects getting cut from bills? Would be awesome though, no doubt.
- I will cut taxes and reform the tax code.
ooookaaaayyyy… Cut taxes for who? Where is this money going to come from? Reform the tax code how? I do know he is (or was) last I checked running against the inheritance (aka death) tax which tends to affect richer people more than the average person.
- I will impose accountability on Washington.
He talking about the Senate / House or the other branches of government? Cos at the moment there is not a lot from either and I don’t see that changing any time soon.
- I will lead America towards energy independence.
Going for the green vote now? Once again, how exactly is this planned? Big undertaking here.
- I will give Americans more control over, and access to, healthcare with affordable and portable free-market solutions.
If he makes it illegal to get healthcare because you don’t care about your health in the first place, now that would make it affordable.
- I will increase adoptions, decrease abortions, and protect the quality of life for our children.
And his first step I am sure would be to allow gay parents to adopt. I can tell him how to decrease abortions, cut funding for abstinence only sex education and teach kids what the hell is going on down there.
Cos, and maybe my logic is off, but if you aren’t getting pregnant you won’t be having an abortion now will you. As for adoption and children stuff, people always say that, “for the children” is the rallying cry for almost every nutjob that wants to control what you can read / watch / do / enjoy.
- I will reform the legal system and appoint strict constructionist judges.
I bet you will Rudy.
- I will ensure that every community in America is prepared for terrorist attacks and natural disasters.
Should I expect the concentration camp in a cornfield in Ohio sometime circa 2010? Start by fixing FEMA and Homeland Security, then we can talk.
- I will provide access to a quality education to every child in America by giving real school choice to parents.
Maybe start by giving children real education instead of preparing for a battery of standardized tests.
- I will expand America’s involvement in the global economy and strengthen our reputation around the world.
Shit, you really like a friggin challenge don’t you?
I’d be interested in hearing from my fellow Good Guys.
I’d even like to draw out the snakes (bradley, lumpy, renny, etc…) So far their objections to him have been weak and easily overcome. However, if there is something effective, I’d like to hear it here first so that I can develop a devastating counter.
Thanks in advance,
I don’t know how the hell you can develop a devastating counter when most of us can’t even develop devastating arguments. His commitments are so broad and open-ended it is ridiculous. Once he starts adding more substance to each one then we can go at it, and it will be glorious. Until then we will paint the worst case scenario, you will paint the brightest, and we will all wait in awe to see how he plans to mastermind these ideas.
Until he actually backs up his commitments with well laid out thoughts and plans I WILL dismiss them as rosy sweet-talk that every politician uses to get votes.
I still remember Nelson Mandela promising everyone in South Africa running water, electricity, and sewage back in '94, empty promises never get you very far.[/quote]
Did I read that correctly, you are a non-citizen?
It helps me understand your perspective a little more in that case.