Rude Email

[quote]Christine wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I liked your email response sen. It also allowed him to save face and smooth things out between you for any future meetings.

but… what is it with giving kids trophies just for showing up these days?

I am not knocking you sen! I just see it all over now.

how do they learn to earn?

/off topic

I read through this thread and this is what I was wondering as well.

Have a pizza party or whatever, but trophies should be given to winners.

My boss doesn’t give me a pat on the back when I screw up. On the contrary, anything less than perfection is not acceptable at my job. No one ever says, “Well, at least you tried your very best.”

[/quote]

I’m with you all on this one…I was the Commissioner for 5 years…I fought with a lot of people about this, but it is ingrained in our society…you know…everyone’s a winner…everyone should make the same amount of money…anything over $250,000 is toooo much !..Wait…

I don’t mind the trophies as much as the bastards thinking the kids need to have a fucking ‘snack’ after the game…I’m fucking taking back over next Spring and banning that shit.

YEAH !!!

Did I mention I’ve weighed 200 lbs for 4 days now ? 201, here I come !!

[quote]Christine wrote:

My boss doesn’t give me a pat on the back when I screw up. On the contrary, anything less than perfection is not acceptable at my job. No one ever says, “Well, at least you tried your very best.”

[/quote]

Agreed. It’s coddling and bad and kids see right through it. Kids know what they’ve accomplished and it starts a bad trend to reward them for not accomplishing things. Most of the medals, trophies, and certificates i’ve received in my lifetime have been meaningless to me because they weren’t for what I felt were real accomplishments. Those things are supposed to mean something…

[quote]sen say wrote:
Christine wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I liked your email response sen. It also allowed him to save face and smooth things out between you for any future meetings.

but… what is it with giving kids trophies just for showing up these days?

I am not knocking you sen! I just see it all over now.

how do they learn to earn?

/off topic

I read through this thread and this is what I was wondering as well.

I’m with you all on this one…I was the Commissioner for 5 years…I fought with a lot of people about this, but it is ingrained in our society…you know…everyone’s a winner…everyone should make the same amount of money…anything over $250,000 is toooo much !..Wait…

I don’t mind the trophies as much as the bastards thinking the kids need to have a fucking ‘snack’ after the game…I’m fucking taking back over next Spring and banning that shit.

YEAH !!!

Did I mention I’ve weight 200 lbs for 4 days now ? 201, here I come !![/quote]

yah they had snacks at my neice’s softball game, they had Yoohoos with Rice Krispie treats…

she’s 6, couldn’t they give her milk and a banana or an apple?

/sooooo off topic

[quote]sen say wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I see no reason at all to drag this out further.

Yeah…I agree…I sent this last night in reply about 15 minutes after he sent his out:

I wasn’t trying to give you any grief. I wasn’t trying to do anything but goof around after a long day. I figured after several years of working together you and I would be able to laugh at ourselves and the situations we find ourselves in.

"I don’t even know how to respond to your “not letting my kid enjoy it, stupid rec league and shitty teenagers” comments…I’ve been coaching for 8 years…that’s 16 seasons of soccer…I’m not known for being the winningest coach in the league as I place more value on fun and learning the game AND on enjoying the game…this rec league is basically my life for 6 months out of the year…I love recreational soccer…shitty teenagers is something I would not say.

You’ve done a great job and I’m terribly sorry if my comments upset you."

[/quote]

Perfect response in my opinion.

200 LBS? Congrats!

[quote]sen say wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I see no reason at all to drag this out further.

Yeah…I agree…I sent this last night in reply about 15 minutes after he sent his out:

I wasn’t trying to give you any grief. I wasn’t trying to do anything but goof around after a long day. I figured after several years of working together you and I would be able to laugh at ourselves and the situations we find ourselves in.

"I don’t even know how to respond to your “not letting my kid enjoy it, stupid rec league and shitty teenagers” comments…I’ve been coaching for 8 years…that’s 16 seasons of soccer…I’m not known for being the winningest coach in the league as I place more value on fun and learning the game AND on enjoying the game…this rec league is basically my life for 6 months out of the year…I love recreational soccer…shitty teenagers is something I would not say.

You’ve done a great job and I’m terribly sorry if my comments upset you."

[/quote]

That was a civilized, responsible and manly response in my opinion.

Get these kids prepared for real life. Give trophies to only the cute kids but don’t tell them the real reason why. If an ugly kid figures it out take a trophy from the dumbest cute kids and give it to the smart one. Tell the dumb kid the reason why is that that you want to make one of the ugly ones feel better about themselves.

This is office politics 101.

When someone ‘balls up’ on me like that, I can only appreciate their boldness. (After the initial RAGEBEAST instinct dies down of course)

A good laugh and some beers are in order. Life is too short to let that type of pettiness get to you.

Don’t give the kids shit! Especially if they are losers and our bosses don’t reward losers.

If you have played sports at a high level (with or even without success), you know there is a great amount you can learn about perseverance, teamwork, hardwork, disipline, comradery and never giving up.

Why wouldn’t you want to try to make these kids day?

If that is the case, then I agree with the “it is only soccer” line.

Kids know what they did and how they did. I still remember my 5th grade school track meet thing. Our team got a 4th place ribbon. There were 4 teams. I fired it in the garbage thinking “That’s pretty retarded”.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Kids know what they did and how they did. I still remember my 5th grade school track meet thing. Our team got a 4th place ribbon. There were 4 teams. I fired it in the garbage thinking “That’s pretty retarded”.[/quote]

I did pretty much the same with all my ‘participation’ awards.

Contrast that with the year I scored the game-winning, season-ending, championship-earning jump-shot against the only team in the league who’d beaten us previously (Emilio Estevez would have been proud). I didn’t even get a trophy that year, and it remains an awesome memory.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Kids know what they did and how they did. I still remember my 5th grade school track meet thing. Our team got a 4th place ribbon. There were 4 teams. I fired it in the garbage thinking “That’s pretty retarded”.[/quote]

I did the same thing with my 1980 medal in some stupid hockey games that I hardly played in. I think I got like 6 mins
ice time. I didn’t earn it so I told them to keep their fuckin’ medal.

[quote]Otep wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Kids know what they did and how they did. I still remember my 5th grade school track meet thing. Our team got a 4th place ribbon. There were 4 teams. I fired it in the garbage thinking “That’s pretty retarded”.

I did pretty much the same with all my ‘participation’ awards.

Contrast that with the year I scored the game-winning, season-ending, championship-earning jump-shot against the only team in the league who’d beaten us previously (Emilio Estevez would have been proud). I didn’t even get a trophy that year, and it remains an awesome memory.[/quote]

I remember my first year of little league I pretty much dominated, batted at the top of the order, played the infield well, and never went a game without at least one base hit.

I think we won two games all season and at the end of the season there was a team party and all of the coach’s kids got trophies and I got shit.

I learned a lot about life in little league.

Hahaha, kids soccer is just like the military. Everybody gets a ribbon! Yay, a “good cookie” ribbon for not fucking up too bad for 3 years. Yay, a ribbon because I happen to be working for Uncle Sam during OEF. Yay, a ribbon because of my geographical location during a certain operation. WHOOOO.

Whip his ass, then whip your own ass for allowing your chillrens to play soccer.

lol@ suburban soccer drama

whats with all this feelgood bullshit? i mean this kids are teenagers right? if they havent done well theyre gonna KNOW IT dont patronize them with a meaningles trophy.

but guess what, not every kid may even care that much to start with. im sure most of em arent there for scouts watching to draft them to Fifa or whatever but just to have fun with their friends.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

whats with all this feelgood bullshit? i mean this kids are teenagers right? if they havent done well theyre gonna KNOW IT dont patronize them with a meaningles trophy.
[/quote]

I’m with this one. With respect to my meaningless retarded ribbon, I wasn’t angry that we came in last. I was angry that they apparently thought we were stupid enough to feel good about a ribbon for last place. It was patronising as crap.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Sen, tell him what I told some motherfuckers on the Politics thread tonight:

"You worthless cocksucking momma’s boy… you are a pathetic, worthless, rotten sack of shit.

I have nothing but the utmost contempt for you…you (are) not worthy to even lick clean the inside of (my) toilet bowl."

That’s what I’d tell him, dammit.

'Course I have some 14 year old Scotch (Oban - Oban is the frontier between the West Highlands and the Islands; the meeting place between land and sea. A perfect, sheltered harbour makes it the principal seaport for the Isles and the capital of the West Highlands. It has a mild, temperate climate, warmed by the Gulf Stream and washed (too often, some might say) by the soft rain that often falls hereabouts.

This misty, briny character, with a background of heather and peat, is perfectly echoed in the malt whisky produced at Oban. ) in me right now and I haven’t been laid in six days because I’m out of town on business and too busy to chase pussy and not enough women having been posting sexy nurse photos on Renton’s “The Big C” thread and the Seminoles have lost two games this season and aren’t in the top ten and I’m not getting enough to eat cuz I don’t have a good woman in my kitchenette cookin’ for me and I don’t like soccer anyway and the 49’ers are not even close to being the team they used to be and Barack OfuckinIWillRedistributeTheWealthBama won the election and my 10 1/2 year Dobie/Rott male that has been my best buddy since his birth died the other day and I found his body in the woods when I was catchin’ up my horse and I’m not getting enough sleep because of time zone changes and forgot to bring chalk with me for this almost worthless foo foo gym that I’m temporarily training at while out of town so I had to use wrist straps to handle the smooth handled dumbbells while doing my bent-over rows and I hate that because I don’t like to use straps for that exercise even though I did high rep sets with the 125s and the water fountain is a long ways from the squat rack and pussified lil skinny boys are walking around with “trainer” on their red t-shirts and carrying clipboards and teaching people to do stupid ab exercises on stupid machines.

I hope you get fuckin gist of what I’m trying to say here, Sen my faithful friend, Defender and Initiator of All That is Lunacy on Testosterone Nation.[/quote]

Best Post EVER!

Sen, you did good, but even if you went off on the guy, i’m sure you would have done that good too. See People like you don’t need to always make the right decisions, sometimes all decisions are right. This advanced, highly interactive society we live in is an individual experience for every single one of us. No one of us will ever experience a single second of someone else’s experience with another human (or 3) The best thing to do is follow your gut hard, and use your brain for a rudder. I am Zen like Myself, so I think the response was perfect, though I have known to get pissed off over stupid things before, yet I haven’t ruined anything over it even if I laid into someone a little bit for being a dick.

Sometimes the universe throws you a freebie where someone else is totally fucking up and you get to just sit there and say, Hell I can do anything I want right now and i’ll be right. You could have gone over to his house, slapped him and said, no fucker, I quit, good luck with your shitty teenagers next season. Then went and started a rival league, one that has BIGGER trophies at the end just to piss him off. And you still would have been right.

V

[quote]theAnj wrote:
Hahaha, kids soccer is just like the military. Everybody gets a ribbon! Yay, a “good cookie” ribbon for not fucking up too bad for 3 years. Yay, a ribbon because I happen to be working for Uncle Sam during OEF. Yay, a ribbon because of my geographical location during a certain operation. WHOOOO. [/quote]

Are you making fun of my MUC? I’ll have you know I heroically wore a uniform for my country!!

:slight_smile:

[quote]print wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

I did the same thing with my 1980 medal in some stupid hockey games that I hardly played in. I think I got like 6 mins
ice time. I didn’t earn it so I told them to keep their fuckin’ medal.[/quote]

Trophys and ribbons are given out so often to kids now, they are no longer significant. If kids are playing a team sport, then they should learn how to function together as a team, not a group of individuals with a singular mentality. But I blame the parents and the school system for this type of thinking. Every parent thinks their little brat is a superstar or genius these days, and coaching has become social work to keep the parents happy.

This is total bullshit. Back in my day, if you screwed up or mouthed off to the coach, you’d get a slap in the face. And the school would call your parents and tell them what you did. Then, you’d get another beating when you got home.