Royce Gracie vs. Matt Hughes

[quote]mazilla wrote:
a gracie is a gracie, outside of that camp i don’t feel that anybody can touch them. after all, they did invent this shit.[/quote]

Yea, it’s not like Sakuraba wiped up the whole clan or anything. When was the last time a Gracie had a big win?

[quote]mazilla wrote:
gracie has more grappling skills in his pinkie than the entire ufc combined. people forget to mention the arm bar hughes had gracie locked in, but could not get gracie to tap. i don’t think that anybody could out-grapple him ever. thats not to say that the well rounded fighter is not superior in a no-holds barred match, but had it been a match of ground skill hughes would have been long gone. besides, hughes himself addimited to using the ref to stop the fight as the only resource he had. after hearing mcarthy tell royce to “get out of there” the light came on and hughes knew the ref would have to stop the fight. he addmitted to it after the fight. i tell you this, there has never been a grappler to match the skills of gracie, period.[/quote]

I am sorry but this statement is just clueless. Did you see the fight? The majority of it was spent on the ground, and when they went to the ground neither fighter was seriously wounded. So they are on the ground and Hughes either breaks or rips his arm (depending on the source you read) and then says well I guess I will finish this up anotherway and Gracie rolls over on his stomach and Hughes just pounds him. At that point Hughes could have done anything he wanted to Gracie.

I don’t see how the fact that the outcome would have been different if it was some grappling contest as opposed to an MMA contest, it basically was a grappling contest until the end and Hughes totally dominated. Again, after reading your post almost every sentence it in is either wrong or an incorrect opinion. Sorry to be so harsh but the fight happened and Gracie got destroyed in every facet of the game. Get over it.

[quote]Ryu13 wrote:

Ref called it, no asses were handed.[/quote]

I guess you didn’t see the fight, as Zap said Hughes completely dominated the fight and was never hit or even close to a submission. Gracie left with a broken arm and probably a concussion. If somebody beat me like that I would definitely say I got my ass handed to me.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
A-Town Crown wrote:
Zeb wrote:
The man only lasted 4:39!

I think he lasted longer than GSP did with Hughes. For all of you Gracie Haters and GSP fans.

GSP lasted until he got caught in an armbar with about 7 seconds left in the first round. GSP was a much better match than the Gracie match. This is MMA not BJJ, that is why Gracie lost, he is VERY one dimensional and Matt even dominated him on the ground. If any of Hughes fights were still on youtube you could see the difference in the fights.[/quote]

yeah the gsp match was alot better ! if i remember correctly gsp whacked hughes w/ a spinning back kick. it was so telegraphed when he lined it up i was surprised hughes didn’t react but he just stood there and gsp hit him as clean and hard as hitting a bag.

Mark my words, GSP will be the next welterweight champion of the UFC. If not, I’ll dress up like a schoolgirl for a day.

[quote]mazilla wrote:
gracie has more grappling skills in his pinkie than the entire ufc combined.[/quote]

13 years ago this was true. Not since then.

No, he just blew out Gracie’s elbow. Hard to finish a fight with one arm. I’ve seen it happen, but it ain’t pretty.

Hmmm, that’s funny…Hughes gets side control on Gracie and gets him in a straight arm bar. Pretty hard to get side on an experienced grappler and harder still to get an arm bar on them from side.

Then Gracie gives up the back–again, something an experienced grappler will rarely ever do. Then he lets Hughes get his back and get both his hooks in–you’ll never see an experienced grappler let anyone do that to them.

So yeah, he got taken down, gave up position, gave up his arm for a submission, gave up position again, and got beat down. He got beat on the ground pretty thoroughly.

That is funny since most of the match took place on the ground (after Hughes took it there since he was tired of Royce’s gay kicks). Gracie got beat on the ground like a newbie.

Uh, ok. Why did he need the ref when he had his hooks locked into Royce and was raining down punches without Royce being able to do anything about it? Hughes simply said that he knew McCarthy would step in and end it at that point, so he was landing blows and waiting for the stoppage. If there was no stoppage, either Royce gets beat unconscious (because he had no defense in that position) or Hughes gets the rear naked on him (nothing Royce could have done to stop it at that point).

Except for the guys that have beaten him on the ground, Hughes being only the most recent. Sorry, Royce isn’t even the best BJJ guy in the world these days and it showed in that fight since he was totally helpless on the ground.

[quote]mazilla wrote:
gracie has more grappling skills in his pinkie than the entire ufc combined. [/quote]
ADCC champions Dean Lister and Jeff Monson would beg to differ.

I paid to watch this fight and was dissapointed with Gracie. He looked intimidated from the beginning. I don’t know if it was some meditation thing he was trying to do or whatever, but I’ve seen almost all of his televised fights and he’s never acted quite like that before. Hughes on the other hand looked invincible. Complete and utter domination. Handled him like nothing on the ground, had side mount almost the whole fight, nearly mounted him (which I thought he almost had) I also almost shit when he set that kimura (armbar). A lesser man would have tapped no doubt, his arm was bent back and Randy Courture even said his elbow must have snapped. They asked Randy why he didn’t tap, he answered “will” nothing more than just will. No way was he tapping. Gracie could do absolutely nothing else but roll over and give his back. But again I think he looked defeated before the match started.

Guillard also looked dominant at 155 lightweight. He’s the same as Hughes dropping from 195 to 170. He’ll be the lightweight champ. Here’s the knockout punch from the fight.

Face plant.

[quote]Mack wrote:
Guillard also looked dominant at 155 lightweight. He’s the same as Hughes dropping from 195 to 170. He’ll be the lightweight champ. Here’s the knockout punch from the fight.[/quote]

Guillard has a ton of natural ability, but he is green as heck and makes a lot of dumb mistakes. I think he is 2-3 years away from contending for the LW belt.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Mark my words, GSP will be the next welterweight champion of the UFC. If not, I’ll dress up like a schoolgirl for a day. [/quote]

You’ll have to post a photo of yourself after they fight, because Hughes will not be losing to GSP!

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Mark my words, GSP will be the next welterweight champion of the UFC. If not, I’ll dress up like a schoolgirl for a day. [/quote]

Just quoting this for future reference…

the fight has finally come and gone and now without a shadow of a doubt we know who the better man is. all the Gracie-ites can say…

if it had been just BJJ then Hughes wouldn’t of standed a chance…(right, i suppose side control and seconds away from a kimura breaking Royce’s arm, and getting control of the back isn’t BJJ at all)

the ref called the fight too early…(would you rather Royce walk out of there with brain damage from about 40 unchallenged blows to the head instead of the 20 that Hughes connected on? and for those who notice they do stop the fights quicker in UFC than boxing, i think that is smarter because the rule of being able to “intelligently defend oneself” is a good one, less damage later on)

Royce stated he’d like to see the guys of today fight four fights in one night. If memory serves me correct, Royce fought four fights in UFC 1 that lasted a total time of less than 5 minutes. Kudos to him for being able to do that. IMO, the guys of today are basically fighting 3 and 4 different fighters within one person because back then it was Dan Severn the wrestler, Jason Delucai the Kung Fu Master, Ken Shamrock the shootfighter, etc. Now it is GSP the jiu-jitsu, wrestler, boxer, and kickboxer.

The fighters of today are no longer 1 dimensional. They can finish a fight with more methods than just one. Unfortunately I’ve never seen a fight by Royce end by anything but a submission. This is a poor approach to training as far as I’m concerned. It’s like Roger Clemens only throwing his fastball. What happens when people start teeing off on it? You are fucked, that’s what.

Back to the four fight thing…which is harder fighting 3 or 4 1 dimensional fighters for 5 minutes total with breaks in between or a well rounded fighter for 2-3 or up to 5, 5 minute rounds with only 1 minute breaks?

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Mack wrote:
Guillard also looked dominant at 155 lightweight. He’s the same as Hughes dropping from 195 to 170. He’ll be the lightweight champ. Here’s the knockout punch from the fight.

Guillard has a ton of natural ability, but he is green as heck and makes a lot of dumb mistakes. I think he is 2-3 years away from contending for the LW belt.

[/quote]

Looks like a mini Randleman.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
StevenF wrote:
Mark my words, GSP will be the next welterweight champion of the UFC. If not, I’ll dress up like a schoolgirl for a day.

You’ll have to post a photo of yourself after they fight, because Hughes will not be losing to GSP!

[/quote]

He has the photo ready to go. He is just looking for a good excuse to post it.

[quote]StevenF wrote:

Oh hells yeah, I want to see the pics when Hughes rolls over him

As soon as a link is available, please post it: I badly want to see this fight now!

Here’s a badass clip I think you will all appreciate: Brutal Headkicks Highlights- Special Delivery.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2480862878552030142&q=headkicks

Who’s the ripped black dude in the gold skirt? He is a fuckin pimp daddy.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
ZEB wrote:
StevenF wrote:

He has the photo ready to go. He is just looking for a good excuse to post it.[/quote]

LMAO!

:slight_smile:

I wish that the Gracies and Ken Shamrock would just bow out. Become commentators or managers, but please DO NOT FIGHT! There is no way that these guys can fight with today’s fighters! Please, let us fans of the sport remember you guys as legends, instead of as has-beens.

Also, I don’t see how anyone can argue that Gracie even remotely put up a good fight. Please, people! The Ref stopped the Renzo Gracie/Sakuraba fight, too. Renzo didn’t complain- even though he didn’t tap, he admitted that Sakuraba was a better fighter.

The Gracies dominated early on because no one knew what they were doing! Now, everyone knows how to execute and defend submissions like a BJJ artist, how to position on the ground like a wrestler, and how to box and kickbox.

The Gracies don’t stand a chance! I would love to see the old guard beat the new guys as much as anyone, but it ain’t gonna happen- it’d be like Joe Frazier fighting today.

RETIRE! FOR GOD’S SAKE, LET ME KEEP THE LEGENDS OF MY YOUTH AND RETIRE!!!

[quote]Sepukku wrote:
As soon as a link is available, please post it: I badly want to see this fight now!

Here’s a badass clip I think you will all appreciate: Brutal Headkicks Highlights- Special Delivery.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2480862878552030142&q=headkicks

Who’s the ripped black dude in the gold skirt? He is a fuckin pimp daddy.[/quote]

Michael Macdonald