T Nation

Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba 2

Yes this is official Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba 2. K1’s June 2nd Dynamite in the USA.

why? WHY? The only thing good about Gracie vs. Sakuraba 1 was when Sakuraba turned up to the press conference before the fight wearing a diaper.

The first fight is such a legendary battle and historic point in MMA, I think holding this rematch just cheapens it.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
The first fight is such a legendary battle and historic point in MMA, I think holding this rematch just cheapens it.[/quote]

I definately agree. This is the first I’ve heard about it, and while I will watch the fight, I will not be happy about it.

The problem here is that now MMA boards will blow up with gracie vs. sak debates. After this fight, many people will assume things to be true of gracie and sak that shouldn’t be assumed.

I might actually like this less than I liked Gracie vs. Hughes.

Booooooooooooooooring.

The entire K-1 promotion is a huge mistake. Booking the LA Coliseum? Headlining the fight with a someone well past his prime verses someone the majority of MMA “fans” haven’t heard of?

These K-1 guys are out of touch. They are going to lose their shirts on this promotion.

The only thing I look forward to on this card is Sefo coming back to MMA. His kickboxing fight with Beastman was pretty controversial so there should be some fireworks.

4 oz gloves + boomerang hook = death in the ring.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Booooooooooooooooring.

The entire K-1 promotion is a huge mistake. Booking the LA Coliseum? Headlining the fight with a someone well past his prime verses someone the majority of MMA “fans” haven’t heard of?

These K-1 guys are out of touch. They are going to lose their shirts on this promotion. [/quote]

I don’t know, Brock Lesnar is going to be a huge draw for the WWE fans. Also, a 7ft2 Korean named Techno Goliath pretty much sells himself.

As far as the Sak vs Gracie match is concerned, I think that we may well see an average fight. The promoters have made a good choice though, Sakuraba has further ingratiated himself with Pride fans after appearing at Pride 34 and announcing his return.

Royce won the first UFC, people always want to watch him.

Whenever there is some ‘bad blood’ people will tune in just for the drama. The Shamrock Ortiz fights have all been amongst the top PPV buys for UFC. Royce isn’t just fighting for himself he represents his family just like when Shamrock fought for the honour of the Lion’s Den.

[quote]jarvis wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Booooooooooooooooring.

These K-1 guys are out of touch. They are going to lose their shirts on this promotion.

I don’t know, Brock Lesnar is going to be a huge draw for the WWE fans. Also, a 7ft2 Korean named Techno Goliath pretty much sells himself.

As far as the Sak vs Gracie match is concerned, I think that we may well see an average fight. The promoters have made a good choice though, Sakuraba has further ingratiated himself with Pride fans after appearing at Pride 34 and announcing his return.

Royce won the first UFC, people always want to watch him.

Whenever there is some ‘bad blood’ people will tune in just for the drama. The Shamrock Ortiz fights have all been amongst the top PPV buys for UFC. Royce isn’t just fighting for himself he represents his family just like when Shamrock fought for the honour of the Lion’s Den.
[/quote]

You are in England, so I’m not surprised you have no understanding of the MMA market in the U.S. Sak-Gracie to Japanese fans might be a big deal. But in the U.S., it’s nothing like Shamrock-Ortiz. Really, not even close.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
The only thing I look forward to on this card is Sefo coming back to MMA. His kickboxing fight with Beastman was pretty controversial so there should be some fireworks.

4 oz gloves + boomerang hook = death in the ring.[/quote]

I thought this was a kickboxing matchup?? MMA should be good though. Eastman has alot more experience in MMA but Sefo is the better striker. Both like to brawl.