T Nation

Royal Marine Training

By August of next year i will have finished my degree and will be looking to join the Royal Marines as an officer.

My current fitness plan is:

Mon: Pull routine and Biking: Curls, Pulldowns, Pull-Ups, and the Rowing Machine
Tue: Running
Wed: Push routine and Biking: Bench, Dips, Military/Overhead Press, Squats
Thu: Running
Fri: Pull routine and Biking: Curls, Pulldowns, Pull-Ups, and the Rowing Machine

The following week I alternate the routine. Any suggestions are welcomed, i know military fitness is far more endurance oriented but i do want to retain my strength and mass.

Stats - Hgt: 6"2 Wgt: 95Kgs. I am taking a protein supplement on muscle building days with small amounts of creatine included.

As I said I've got about a year to get as fit as possible so I'm collecting info from as many reliable sources as I can - any help is much appreciated.

Donde esta los deadlifts, pedro?

Wednesday looks strange for me...

Maybe smth like that will be better:

, dips (max)*

, squats**

, deadlift***.

, squats**

, dips (max)*

• do it as much as You can in every set, important exercise for U I think, definitely need to be done twice a week.
    ** I'm just thinking that U need better endurance, so that will be something really hard... Don't need gym to do squats, just something heavy on back and here U go!
    *** deadlift is to important men, U need it. I'm little afraid of military/overhead press with deadlift and chest in one day, but that's the only way in this routine.

Quit being a pansy wanker and join the real marines U S M C ! Hoorah!

If you're squatting and pulling with intensity, how on earth could you squat, pull, then squat again in three days?

OP: A fitness plan is meaningless without goals, could you elaborate? The order of your exercises is also a little odd.

I don't think he can. I think he's British.

Good call on the dips, i know that body-weight exercises are going to be crucial. Also, i had the idea of running with a backpack filled with heavy weights, as this mimics the training I'm to undergo - will that replace the squats?. As far as my overall goal is concerned it really is to maintain peak endurance levels whilst still having a substantial amount of upper body strength.

Therefore I'm focusing mainly on functional muscle, I've lost around 20lbs of bulk that picked up during the winter when i was training for pure strength and think i could sit comfortably around the 200lb mark.

Oh and btw, I am British so i guess joining the USMC is out of the question!

because only one year left him and he don't wanna be a pussy after all...
Besides that squats after running are more for endurance training.
And he still have 2 days of rest.

U know, that's my opinion.

em The Royal Marines are head and shoulders above USMC no offense lol

Hmn, obviously sounds good for me. Try it!

Deadlift with lower intensity and do more on bench and military.. or simple concentrate on this more. [/quote]

Good luck!

From my personal experience of the military I'd recommend max rep press ups and also long fast walks carrying weight. You may also want to practice waking up every day at 4.30am and getting only 3 crappy hours sleep per night for weeks on end. For authenticity you could do all of your training in the middle of the night wearing wet gear on the top of the nearest hill/mountain. Remember, it isn't how fit or strong you are it is how 'tough' you are.
P.S. drop the biking, do the weighted walking instead, it won't help you on Dartmoor.
Good luck.

I'll take that on board, thanks for the advice mate. Out of interest, what was your experience in the military?

Nothing as hard-core as you are planning, cadets & TA infantry. Done a few PTI courses, artillery courses, several annual camps including Cyprus camp plus the usual weekends in the rain. The hardest thing for me was the constant load carrying and the lack of rest. I performed much better when I was younger and did loads walking / camping and rugby, coming back to it after a few years of being a student and office work was hard.

A summer job labouring on a building site would be a good base, going from an office job and university to hard work out in the elements (hot or cold) was tricky for me. Being inside made me soft. Get out as much as you can. Enjoy the journey.

If you want my advice, I'd do running four times a week. Closer to your join date, I'd maybe change one of those runs to a long march with weight. Get a couple of swimming sessions in now again, but don't go over the top with it, it's not required.

When it comes to lifting, remember your priorities. Lifting is all well and good, but if you're joining the Marines, they have a set requirement they want you to be. Make sure at the end of each week, you're making the set requirements. 60 press ups, 80 sit ups, 10 pull ups, and they have to be to a Royal Marine PTI's very high standard. Make sure you can do these at the end of every week, and if you start to slip and miss the mark, adjust your training program accordingly.

Also, with the running, make sure it's running. Each run must be faster than the last. No matter what I'm doing, I always have 1.5 and/or a 3 mile run, purely to measure my fitness to the required entry standards. I've found that including during my runs works best, and for even better results, each time I stop sprinting, I don't go into a jog or a bimble, I resume my previous running pace.

I wouldn't worry about running with kit. All your training for the first weeks will be without kit, and you'll lose whatever edge you've had from training with kit. It'll be a good 15 weeks before you're running around bottom field with your mate on your back.

We are the red-headed step children of the British Royal Marines. Check out our history!

Great info guys, my dad actually runs a small construction firm so being a labourer as the deadline approaches should be no problem. I've worked construction during Uni breaks to up my pay, i know how strenuous it can be! Excellent tip.

I'm in training for the London marathon and completed an 11 mile run (but not very intense tbh) for charity last week, I think this type of endurance training is exactly what i need. I know endurance can cause massive loss of upper body strength so I realise i need to stick to a regimented plan of exercise and diet to retain that strength.

P.S. The spell checker keeps giving me the American variants of my words - very coloUrful :-).